PDA

View Full Version : Average Pad/Microfibers for a job

jonn127
10-04-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm new to the game but had a question. When using the Wolfgang Twins, do you typically use just the one pad (orange) for the whole car for the swirl remover, and one (black) for the finishing glaze? Also, when wiping off and removing residue, about how many microfibers are used? Going to be doing my dads big 4 door caddy.

daveinsweethome
10-04-2010, 02:00 PM
hope this isnt a duplicate post. i dont do an entire polish with one pad. i either clean it on the fly in my washer bucket or dry clean on the fly. or simply use 2-3 per car depending on size. for lsp and glazes i can usually get by with one if i have done everything before right, wash, clay, polish. it is never worth the problems created by trying to extend one too long. hope this helps

Kurt_s
10-04-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm new to the game but had a question. When using the Wolfgang Twins, do you typically use just the one pad (orange) for the whole car for the swirl remover, and one (black) for the finishing glaze? Also, when wiping off and removing residue, about how many microfibers are used? Going to be doing my dads big 4 door caddy.

Hi Jonn127,
I find that I like to change or wash orange pads at least every section (hood, roof, trunk and each side) when correcting with the Wolfgang Twins, and that is in addition to on-the-fly pad cleaning and/or using a brush to remove dried paint and product on that section. Clean pads cut faster and I experience less dusting. Also, if you drop a pad on the ground, you need to clean it before using it on the paint. You should definately consider having more than 1 orange and 1 black pad.

I also used 2 white CCS pads with FG3.0, plus two 4" orange and one 4" white pad on my bimmer station wagon. I finally made the conversion from 6.5" CCS to 5.5" flat pads last week which made correction faster and fit the curves better of my BMWs and my friend's Porsche.

I only used three 5.5" orange flat pads on a F250 this weekend (I need to buy more), dropping a pad into a bucket with detergent after each section. I cleaned and rinsed out the pads, wrung them to dry in a towel and spun them dry at setting six (pad and PC inside a 5 gallon bucket). I often washed 2 pads and used a "dry" pad for the next section which forced me to stop and let the DA cool down (and me too). You need to make sure that you get as much water out of the pads as possible.

I own a PCXP which can get pretty hot when correcting the paint. I left too much water in a couple of smaller 4" pads and it seems that the residual water turned to steam and "cooked" the foam. The smaller orange pad went flat (lost structure) in the middle and the white pad deformed throughout the pad. In fact, using only dry pads might be the best recommendation that I can make.

Always plan to use more MF towels than you expect. I dropped 4 towels in less than 2 hours (I was tired) and I didn't dare use them again until I washed them. If you follow Mike's folding method, you should have 8 surfaces for wiping from each towel. I try not to mix chemicals on my MFs. You'll probably want to plan for 1-3 MFs each for claying, TSR, FG, IPA, your LSP and a detail spray, plus MFs for windows, wheels, door jambs and interior work.

Just remember to work clean. Have fun! :xyxthumbs: