PDA

View Full Version : Griot's paint clay...

jcarson112
10-03-2010, 02:31 AM
Okay, for anyone out there using the Griot's paint clay, have you had issues with picking up contaminants on the surface? I see all these pics of people showing their clay stuffed with crap after doing a panel. I just clayed a car that I know for a fact hasn't been washed in 3+ years (parents never wash the van) and had very little in the way of contaminants stuck to it.

Is this clay just THAT mild or is my washing technique just that good ;)

Flash Gordon
10-03-2010, 05:45 AM
Okay, for anyone out there using the Griot's paint clay, have you had issues with picking up contaminants on the surface? I see all these pics of people showing their clay stuffed with crap after doing a panel. I just clayed a car that I know for a fact hasn't been washed in 3+ years (parents never wash the van) and had very little in the way of contaminants stuck to it.

Is this clay just THAT mild or is my washing technique just that good ;)

Is the surface baby butt smooth afterwards? If so, then the clay did its job, if not try leaning harder. Alot depends on the enviroment in which your car lives in

Griots makes one of the better clays on the market IMO :dblthumb2:

daveinsweethome
10-03-2010, 09:47 AM
probably both your wash and the clay. maybe all the tacoma rain kept it lubricated? how nice is it living in tacoma with griots right there. it is pretty soft clay. try a medium red one if you arent satisfied on other vehicles. i do a lot of daily drivers and this clay does take more out but i sure prefer the finer clays to work with

TornadoRed
10-03-2010, 10:42 AM
I just used Griot's clay on my wife's car yesterday. I clayed it about 3 months ago with Mother's clay kit and I've been washing her car at least every other week. The Groit's clay is more aggressive than Mother's and picked up more dirt than I was expecting. The clay looked like everybody's pictures so I was surprised. I may have to review my washing methods.

jcarson112
10-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Well, I followed up the claying I did on the hood today with the baggie test. I still feel a few bits and bumps here and there. Just was surprised when I used it on the parents van that was EXCESSIVELY dirty and it came up near spotless compared to the other pictures floating around on the AG boards.

probably both your wash and the clay. maybe all the tacoma rain kept it lubricated? how nice is it living in tacoma with griots right there. it is pretty soft clay. try a medium red one if you arent satisfied on other vehicles. i do a lot of daily drivers and this clay does take more out but i sure prefer the finer clays to work with

My car has a rather good finish, lives inside my garage, gets washed every week (with the winter coming I may be in need of some more ONR). Having Griot's right down the street is a nice thing to have. They have great/good products depending on what it is I need and then there is no shipping on top of that.

I would love to get finish of my car damp sanded all around. Rather rippled. Very smooth and wet looking, but if you look at the reflections up close its not mirror like; more (subtle) stained glass.

Shane731
10-03-2010, 04:26 PM
I wonder if it is possible that the car was so dirty that "bonded contaminants" weren't actually able to bond to the paint, just the dirt, so they just came off with the wash. It doesn't take long for a car to get filthy. People (like us) who keep their cars clean and have cars that are outside on a frequent basis are at more risk for having contaminants that will bond to the paint. Dirt can't stick to the paint if there's already dirt in the way. I hope that made sense.

A4 1.8tqm
10-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Never used their clay... but I didn't know Griot's was in Tacoma, I'll be visiting them soon! :)

jcarson112
10-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Shane, you make a good point, didn't really give that a thought.

A4, it's off I-5 at the 38th street exit and follow 38th down till just about when it hits south Tacoma way. It'll be on the right. If you check their site they sometimes have meets in their lot. I stopped by last time when they had an Italian car get together.

With the season ending there might not be as many but it's worth the look.