PDA

View Full Version : Wow, what a difference with a 3/4" diameter hose!

Pages : [1] 2

Old Tiger
10-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Replaced a 100 ft. 5/8 with a 3/4 Gilmour. Big time flow increase in flow and much harder to kinks. Also bought a new DRAM cut off and a Nelson disconnecct. BTW I connected my Gilmour Foam Gun directly to the Nelson Female disconnect and eliminated the Gilmour Gun nozzle. The combined effect was a HUGE improvement over my old configuration. Well worth the money spent!

William D.
10-01-2010, 07:15 PM
The biggest household hose out there doesn't mean jack if you have pathetic water pressure. :(

Old Tiger
10-01-2010, 07:40 PM
The biggest household hose out there doesn't mean jack if you have pathetic water pressure. :(
True! My pressre has always been good. Flow is propotional to the square and is not there if there isnt a pressure differential.

Dubbin1
10-01-2010, 09:40 PM

Thats why I use the fire hydrant in front of the house :D

Old Tiger
10-01-2010, 09:45 PM
True! My pressre has always been good. Flow is propotional to the square and is not there if there isnt a pressure differential.
Oops! I forgot. Flow is proportional to the square root of pressure.

TLMitchell
10-01-2010, 09:48 PM

I've thought of that option but my dog has it claimed and won't let me near it.

Rob T
10-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I love my 3/4" Gilmour hoses. The last hoses I will ever buy! ;)

S2K
10-01-2010, 10:02 PM

There is no more pressure in that hydrant than in your house, just more flow (volume), just like Old Tiger's new hose there is no more pressure just more volume. Pressure is a constant provided by wherever it is created, just like adding a small nozzle does not increase pressure just velocity, the pressure is still the same, the liquid is just moving faster with less volume. But we could discuss hydraulics for weeks.

S2K
10-01-2010, 10:13 PM
I do like the idea of a larger hose. I have always had 5/8" hoses and the pressure here is not that great but with more flow it would really help with drying with water and getting things wetter quicker.

Old Tiger
10-01-2010, 10:16 PM
I love my 3/4" Gilmour hoses. The last hoses I will ever buy! ;)
If they fail you cut off the ends and send them to Gilmour. They send you a new one

Kurt_s
10-01-2010, 10:23 PM
There is no more pressure in that hydrant than in your house, just more flow (volume), just like Old Tiger's new hose there is no more pressure just more volume. Pressure is a constant provided by wherever it is created, just like adding a small nozzle does not increase pressure just velocity, the pressure is still the same, the liquid is just moving faster with less volume. But we could discuss hydraulics for weeks.

I have pressure regulators coming into my house. I would guess that water pressure is higher at the hydrant. Dang, I'm not a physicist. Just a lowly chemist and marketeer.

S2K
10-01-2010, 10:33 PM
I have pressure regulators coming into my house. I would guess that water pressure is higher at the hydrant. Dang, I'm not a physicist. Just a lowly chemist and marketeer.

If the pressure is regulated at your house than of course it will be higher at the street. Hence the word "regulated".

Rob T
10-01-2010, 10:39 PM
If they fail you cut off the ends and send them to Gilmour. They send you a new one

Exactly.

I knew someone would get the meaning of my ;)

Dubbin1
10-01-2010, 11:58 PM

It was a joke...

Kurt_s
10-02-2010, 12:36 AM
It was a joke...

Well, I guess that I was slow to get it...:doh: