PDA

View Full Version : Took a big step today...

Pages : [1] 2

DSGMach1
10-01-2010, 05:19 PM
I've been doing a ton of reading for the past month and made my first big purchase. I have to give a lot of thanks to a member here, Mirror Detailing, we've talked on another forum and he has tried to steer me in the right direction and answered my tons of noob questions.

This is the list of what I just bought. Any advice or criticism on what else should be added or where I screwed up and should have got something else is welcomed.

Flex XC 3401

M105/205

M21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0

M34 Final Inspection

CG Citrus Wash & Gloss

CG Leather Cleaner & Conditioner Combo

LC 6.5" CSS Pads---1 orange, 1 black, 1 white(came with flex)

6pk LC 5.5" VC Pads from Poorboys---1 black, 1 red, 2 white, 2 orange

I called poorboys to see if I could mix the 6pk with 6.5" and 5.5" pads and he recommended me to stick with the 5.5" b/c he said he gets lots of calls about people having problems with the 6.5" having a hard time handling them or not getting the results they were looking for.

Thanks ahead of time for the suggestions:props:

Dubbin1
10-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I've been doing a ton of reading for the past month and made my first big purchase. I have to give a lot of thanks to a member here, Mirror Detailing, we've talked on another forum and he has tried to steer me in the right direction and answered my tons of noob questions.

This is the list of what I just bought. Any advice or criticism on what else should be added or where I screwed up and should have got something else is welcomed.

Flex XC 3401

M105/205

M21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0

M34 Final Inspection

CG Citrus Wash & Gloss

CG Leather Cleaner & Conditioner Combo

LC 6.5" CSS Pads---1 orange, 1 black, 1 white(came with flex)

6pk LC 5.5" VC Pads from Poorboys---1 black, 1 red, 2 white, 2 orange

I called poorboys to see if I could mix the 6pk with 6.5" and 5.5" pads and he recommended me to stick with the 5.5" b/c he said he gets lots of calls about people having problems with the 6.5" having a hard time handling them or not getting the results they were looking for.

Thanks ahead of time for the suggestions:props:

You are taking a huge chance with using 5.5" pads with the Flex since the backing place is 5.5". I suggest you get all 6.5" pads.

DSGMach1
10-01-2010, 05:34 PM
You are taking a huge chance with using 5.5" pads with the Flex since the backing place is 5.5". I suggest you get all 6.5" pads.

The VC ones have a contour to cover the BP, or am I incorrect in this?

poorboysworld.com (http://poorboysworld.com/FoamedWoolPads.htm)

http://poorboysworld.com/IMG_1816%20(Small).JPG

A4 1.8tqm
10-01-2010, 05:37 PM
You got a Flex... That's all that matters! LOL

I use all 6.5" pads with my Flex 3401. :)

DSGMach1
10-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Lol I can't wait to get it too. I've got my test victim.....I mean subject in the back waiting on me to learn on.

tuscarora dave
10-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I love those 5.5 inch pads but they do not work well with the original flex velcro. They work nice on flat surfaces but when you move to a curve or edge of a fender they get off center and I have had them fly off the backing plate all together. They tend to grip the velcro better as they get broken in though. Anyway congrats on your purchase!!!

fairlady350z
10-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Congrats! You have officially been bit by the detailing bug! Happy detailing :buffing:

DSGMach1
10-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I get started. Eventually I'm probably going to add a PC or similar so I can get in tighter places. The way my hood is I'm worried about trying the Flex on those small areas just around the shaker. Sorry this is the only pic I have of it but you can get the idea.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j113/Mustang9668/hid.jpg

DSGMach1
10-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Congrats! You have officially been bit by the detailing bug! Happy detailing :buffing:

It definitely bit me. I've always had the problem of once I started cleaning a car I just couldn't stop, so now it is only going to get worse lol.

XB70
10-01-2010, 07:42 PM
You are NOT going to use a Dual Action polisher or Flex near the Shaker unless you want to remove the hood stripe.

YOU WILL BUY PAINTER'S TAPE AND APPLY IT 1/8" OVER THE PIN STRIPE SURROUNDING THE MAIN STRIPE IN FRONT AND BEHIND THE SHAKER.

YOU WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO POLISH OR BUFF THE PAINT BETWEEN THE TAPE PINSTRIPE AND MAIN STRIPE.

YOU WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO POLISH OR BUFF THE TAPE STRIPES THEMSELVES.

In other words, your Flex and pad will not come loser than 1/8" to the outer edge of the pinstripe surrounding the main stripe on your hood.

The same goes for the Mach1 rocker stripes below the doors.

I have successfully polished and waxed my DSG Mach1 with 6.5" Meguiar's pads and a Meguiar's G100 (Porter Cable) since 2004 with no problems. That said, I just received my order of 5.5" Lake County pads.

A Flex should have NO PROBLEM moving a 6.5" pad. An original Porter Cable can use the "help" of a 5.5" pad.

Remove your rear spoiler via four bolts accessible from the underside of the trunk lid. It makes detailing the bottom of the spoiler as well as the top of the trunk lid easier.

You will also buy and use detailing clay.

tuscarora dave
10-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Those areas are exactly the type of curves or edges where my 5.5 inch VC pads were coming off center. If you are using a pad that works well with the flex velcro you shouldn't have any problem on those narrow spots, just run your pad to the edge of the opening and not over the edge.

Rob T
10-01-2010, 07:45 PM
I've used 5.5" pads on my Flex and while it is possible, I don't recommend it. 6.5" pads are better for the Flex.

Edit: I was not using the VC pads though...those do look safer.

DSGMach1
10-01-2010, 08:12 PM
You are NOT going to use a Dual Action polisher or Flex near the Shaker unless you want to remove the hood stripe.

YOU WILL BUY PAINTER'S TAPE AND APPLY IT 1/8" OVER THE PIN STRIPE SURROUNDING THE MAIN STRIPE IN FRONT AND BEHIND THE SHAKER.

YOU WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO POLISH OR BUFF THE PAINT BETWEEN THE TAPE PINSTRIPE AND MAIN STRIPE.

YOU WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO POLISH OR BUFF THE TAPE STRIPES THEMSELVES.

In other words, your Flex and pad will not come loser than 1/8" to the outer edge of the pinstripe surrounding the main stripe on your hood.

The same goes for the Mach1 rocker stripes below the doors.

I have successfully polished and waxed my DSG Mach1 with 6.5" Meguiar's pads and a Meguiar's G100 (Porter Cable) since 2004 with no problems. That said, I just received my order of 5.5" Lake County pads.

A Flex should have NO PROBLEM moving a 6.5" pad. An original Porter Cable can use the "help" of a 5.5" pad.

Remove your rear spoiler via four bolts accessible from the underside of the trunk lid. It makes detailing the bottom of the spoiler as well as the top of the trunk lid easier.

You will also buy and use detailing clay.

I've got some tape waiting on me at my friends paint store.:xyxthumbs:

Thanks for the tips.:dblthumb2:

My next order will have 6 more 6.5" pads. I'm going to see if I like the VC or CCS pads more and read a little more about the other types of pads.

I thought I recognized your name from M1R and was wondering if that was you, then I saw you said you also had a Mach 1. I'm Mustang9668 on there.

Those areas are exactly the type of curves or edges where my 5.5 inch VC pads were coming off center. If you are using a pad that works well with the flex velcro you shouldn't have any problem on those narrow spots, just run your pad to the edge of the opening and not over the edge.

I might try to do those areas by hand. Since this is my first time trying a machine I want to get really comfortable/confident with it before trying that.

LegacyGT
10-01-2010, 08:20 PM
I would go for Merzerna sealant or Wolfgang DGPS but that's just what I have experience with. They are absolutely effortless to remove.

Mirror Detailing
10-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Welcome! Maybe yours will look as clean as this eventually! :D

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7259/machlighting.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/i/machlighting.jpg/)