PDA

View Full Version : What I have, what I need, haven't detailed in a decade!

Pages : [1] 2 3

h00ligan
10-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Hello all to the forum. Up front please accept my apologies for what i'm sure is 'another' what should i get thread. That said, the level of information here is both staggering and overwhelming. I have never been a 'pro' detailer, but a decade ago I did a paint restore on my then bought e36 m3. It was 11 steps, and at the end, the result was amazing. A short while ago I bought some stuff but never ended up doing a detail myself. Now I have a new car. I refuse to go to a car wash so they can ruin my paint, it's disgusting how bad these places are.. even the basics like wiping wheels then paint!

So I have a new car (it's a red 4dr gti so you know the size), 250 miles on it, and I want to start off the right way. They did wash it so there is one slight scratch (think swirl mark not nail dragging) on the roof, but other than that, the car needs to be washed. I have the following products:

Porter Orbital (7424 I think) - hasn't been used yet - only the white pad it came with (looks pretty useless)
p21s Car Wash
3m Swirl remover
Klasse AIO (I really liked the results of the two klasse glazes on my m3)
Klasse Sealant glaze
p21s Wax
Meguiar's ultimate QD
160mph blower for drying and a small nozzle compressor (I bought a while ago for electronics) which would be good for blowing out seams, etc.
1 mother's sheepskin wash mitt (not synthetic) and one that is supposed to be real, but is not like the newer one I just ordered :/
A ton of small microfiber towels and microfiber wash
some terrycloth applicators (not sure these are useful)

Now I need to get the following I assume (please fill in what I'm missing, where I'm wrong etc).

backing plate (All my previous stuff was done by hand, so this is very new to me)
pads
rubber seal and trim maintainer (recommendations please)
buckets I'll get at home depot for a couple dollars
2 grit guards
pad cleaner?
tire treatment (I hate that super glossy mega armorall look)

Basically I want to have a system where every 6-12 months I do a long detail(probably twice a year), and maintain in between. Since my paint is in practically perfect condition right now (I think that Klasse AIO would deal with the really minor swirl on the roof) I was thinking I could wash, glaze x2, wax.

Should I clay and polish even though it's brand new?
What pads should I get (I was thinking of a 6 pack) for applying and removing the glazes and wax?
I was planning on glazing/waxing the wheels (oem) since I already see some minor clear coat blemishes
I need one good towel for blotting what the blower doesn't get

Thanks so much for taking the time to get through this and help someone returning from the dark side of getting the car washed for them! I'm really stretching the budget already, so bear that in mind please :) I also need to do this to my gf's new car!

Let me know what I missed, and any of your recommendations, thanks again and hello!

Y2KSVT
10-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Welcome, Hooligan! It sounds like you've got a pretty nice start to your supply list. The 2 bucket wash system will be a must, as you'll notice from reading this forum.

If your paint is in perfect condition, I'd probably wash the entire car with the 2 bucket system, clay bar the paint, and then polish out that one little scratch/swirl on the roof, and then seal/wax the entire car. I can't think of any reason you would need to polish an already perfect finish.

Definitely seal/wax those brand new wheels. It'll keep them looking nice and will save you time in cleaning them. You can probably just seal them once every 2-3 months. As for your tires, I use DP Tire Gel and I love it, as well as a lot of other members on here. As we've found out, some tires wind up with a more matte finish, while some end up with a pretty shiny finish, using the same gel. The good thing is, it doesn't sling off and after about an hour, it's dry to the touch, so no oily feel/look to your tires.

Oh, don't forget the interior! Make sure you protect the vinyl/rubber, as well as your carpets and cloth/leather seats!

Good luck in your detailing endeavor! I'd love to start with a clean slate!

Mark

h00ligan
10-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks so much! I should have added, I have been using for years bmw's interior cleaner (maybe it's something rebranded). It seems to work very well leaving things matte with just a hint of citrus scent. That said I'm open to change but have the better part of a bottle left. Any tips on best practices for high wear alacantra like the steering wheel and shift knob areas?

So I should maybe just use the 3m with an orange pad to get that little scratch out?

The pads confuse me tbh, I'd need one orange I guess, then what?

Thanks for the wheel gel rec! Any preference on clay bar or single large towel?

I used two cans of scotch guard to do the entire interior, two coats, about 5 hrs apart (it was 105 degrees that day, so it dried very fast) I may try the 303 when it's time to retreat, but the sg was very easy to do, and inexpensive. I tested it between coats and after to verify it was working as expected. I expect to do that probably 3 times a year.

PAR Detailing
10-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Ok to start off I want to say welcome! and Hello!

Second we can cover packing plate and pads. You will want a 5in BP and 5.5 in pads. This will give you the best chance correction with it. I know you dont have a ton of correction to do but you will eventually, it is inevitable. Out of 6 pads I would get one orange atleast to do any heavier correction. 2-3 white for polishing. 1-2 black for final polishing. 1 red for waxing/sealing.

Third, as far a claying, do the plastic baggie test and see if you need to clay. If so then go ahead and pick up some clay and go at it. I use ONR as clay lube.

For trim and rubber seals I use 303 AP. I like it and it is easy to use.

As far as what to use on the paint in regards to correction I would recommend using m205 once a year, that should remove all of your swirls that accumulate. Also I wouldnt use a glaze, I would suggest using Menzerna 85rd instead of a glaze.

That is just what hit me when I was looking at your original post. Best of luck!
Where are you located?
Jon

h00ligan
10-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks for your response. I'm in Phoenix - hot and dusty!

I looked up the plastic bag test and will try that when I wash the car (have to order a few more things!)

Thanks for the info on pads. Why would you recommend against the glazes? It seems like your recommendation is for cutting more than I thought I'd need to? Wouldn't I then need to use a paint sealant?

I'll bear the m205 in mind when it comes time

On the 303, any downside to using the wipes instead of the vinyl/fabric cleaner spray?

I checked out your website.. great results and very reasonable pricing. I haven't seen anyone with that combination here yet, though I am sure they are out there!

Thank you for your time and recommendations.

h00ligan
10-01-2010, 05:08 PM
BTW< would the red pad be for applying wax and the grey for removing it?

A4 1.8tqm
10-01-2010, 05:14 PM
BTW< would the red pad be for applying wax and the gray for removing it?

Yes, Red Pad for applying wax will be good.

No, don't remove wax with a foam pad (unless it is covered by a Microfiber bonnet). I suggest removing wax by hand with a clean Microfiber cloth.

I agree with the DP Tire Gel recommendation.

:xyxthumbs:

h00ligan
10-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Great, so the white would be for other compounds, like glaze or ... and the grey is for....

I've read the descriptions, there seems to be overlap so I'm not really sure which way to go.

Thanks all, sorry for such basic questions, I don't want to muck my order up!

btw, congrats on your quit.. i'm struggling with it. Trying ecigs as a 50/50 - my cold turkey quits haven't gone well..

A4 1.8tqm
10-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Should I clay and polish even though it's brand new?
Yes
What pads should I get (I was thinking of a 6 pack) for applying and removing the glazes and wax?
2- 6 packs, two of each color... to start
I was planning on glazing/waxing the wheels (oem) since I already see some minor clear coat blemishes
Poorboy's Wheel Sealant is nice.
I need one good towel for blotting what the blower doesn't get
The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towel (http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-waffle-weave.html)

Great, so the white would be for other compounds, like glaze or ...

Thanks all, sorry for such basic questions, I don't want to muck my order up!

btw, congrats on your quit.. i'm struggling with it. Trying ecigs as a 50/50 - my cold turkey quits haven't gone well..

Thanks, stay strong! You can do it!

One thing I want to mention is the term "Glaze". Generally a "glaze" is a product that has fillers in it that are intended to hide minor swirls/blemishes. A pure glaze will not have any protection qualities and will wash away after first wash or two (or rain). Glazes can be topped with a sealant or wax to help lock in the benefit to looks.

What I think your thinking when saying "glaze" is actually "sealant". "Sealant" is synthetic (man-made) version of wax, generally longer lasting.

Unfortunately, the terms used are not written in stone. You will see an abrasive polish called "glaze" or other things that seem inconsistent with the general use of the term.

:xyxthumbs:

h00ligan
10-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Yah, I wish companies would use universal terminology!

So the klasse that I have is a glaze (the aio) and a sealant for the other one (I think it has sealant glaze in the name, i forget)

I know I will have to buy more pads, but I'd like to space it out :) Since I won't be doing any major corrections now, can I just clarify?

The white would be used to apply 3m swirl remover, or all in one?

The grey would be to apply klasse sealant?

The red would be to apply wax?

With the sealants do you take those off with MF towels too, rather than using the machine? Is the general rule, take it all off by hand, use the machine to put it on and work some voodoo when correcting?

Oh and by the way.. what about glass. inside and out - what are your preferences? Some people use sealant on their lights and windshield and swear it's like rain-x on steroids (Not that it rains much here, but I wonder if there's some protection to be had from sand pitting).

Thanks!

A4 1.8tqm
10-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Klasse All in One is more of a cleaner wax. It cleans the paint and leaves some protection behind. Klasse Sealant Glaze is the other one, it's a sealant. :)

LC Pads Order

Yellow- Heavy cut, for compounding. Last resort for foam pad polishing.

Orange- Medium cut, for compounding and heavy polishing.

White- Polishing

Black- light polishing/finishing.

Blue- finishing/application of wax and sealant.

Red- Application of wax and sealant.

You have to choose the right pad depending on the work to be done. I like to stay with White and softer, but usually have to step it up.

PAR Detailing
10-01-2010, 06:13 PM
A4 is giving you great advice. I cant think of anything I would add to his responses. I apologize for not clearing up and explaining my reasoning. You will eventually need to do some correcting, that is why I had it in there. I just feel like most new cars have swirls in them from the dealer (why I had paint correction products included), Im not trying to say you dont have the eye for them, I just havent really seen a brand new car without them. That is where the term DISO Dealer Installed Swirl Option came from.

Keep the questions coming, everyone here at AGO will help you out so you are filled with all the knowledge to keep your new baby perfect!

Jon

h00ligan
10-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it.

I am building my order now (man it adds up fast :eek:)

I'm trying to research the different clays (can i use MG UQD for a lubricant? I don't QD a lot because of dust here and it's not a show car), I added the pads you recommended. and the towel that A4 recommended.

I used to do my own cleaning and for a couple of years was really into that bond, but it was a decade ago and I never used a machine. So I have looked carefully and I genuinely don't see any swirls aside from the one mark. I was actually surprised (I forgot to ask them not to wash it).

agstacker
10-01-2010, 08:34 PM
I would recommend Pinnacle ultra fine poly clay. Also using a MG UQD for a lubricant would be fine.

Pinnacle’s Ultra Poly Clay is the single finest clay composition available today. Use auto Detailing clay to deep clean car paint, glass and chrome. (http://www.autogeek.net/ultra-fine-poly-clay.html)

LegacyGT
10-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Just personal experience here, I just recently (after polishing out my car) decided to ditch the mothers sheep skin wash mitt in favor of Cobra microfiber and Cobra Bone.

With the CD/DVD test, I found my Mothers sheep skin was causing spider webbing.