PDA

View Full Version : What I have, what I need, haven't detailed in a decade!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

h00ligan
10-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Sorry to occupy space here with such basic questions. Upon reflection it seems like we could probably get from 6 pads to three..maybe manufacturers just found a way to make more money. There's so much overlap it makes me think yellow white red are the way to go. The in betweens may be for show car guys!

Anyway, I really value the opinions here, so much knowledge!

Kurt_s
10-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Sorry to occupy space here with such basic questions. Upon reflection it seems like we could probably get from 6 pads to three..maybe manufacturers just found a way to make more money. There's so much overlap it makes me think yellow white red are the way to go. The in betweens may be for show car guys!

Anyway, I really value the opinions here, so much knowledge!
I have not used the 3M swirl remover. AG website indicates rotary use so I don't know about using a DA.

Yellow pads may be more aggressive and leave some marring, although there are times when I wished I had something more aggressive. I use orange pads with WG TSR, Opt Compound II, Megs M105, Megs UC and a few others to correct. I use white for polishing and reds for waxes/sealants. I have blue pad for paint cleaning/one steps and probably should get a couple black/gray for finish polishing.

I plan to pick up a couple of Surbufs and some HydroTech pads instead of the yellow pads. I would try the least aggressive pads and compounds first to minimize unnecessary removal of paint.

Hope that helps.

Kurt_s
10-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Sorry one more clarification...

Orange pad for 3m

White for aio

Grey for sealant glaze

Red for wax

Don't remove anything with the machine, remove all products by hand (well break down the 3m then remove)

Are those the right pad choices? Since there's overlap, I'm not sure when to use white vs grey.
I use a red pad for sealant application but I use WG DGPS as my main sealant. I also separate my red pads into sealant vs waxes.

White is a polishing pad with light cut. I do use it for finishing polishes but probably should be using the black/gray for finish polishing.

I remove everything by hand at this point.

h00ligan
10-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Sounds to me like I should be getting 2 red and 2 white and 2 grey for now, since I don't have a ton of correction..

Then use the white for Klasse AIO
grey for Klasse sealant
Red for wax application.

I guess I'll place my order, it would be really nice if it was here before the weekend. Where is AG located? Do they usually prep and ready an order within 24 hrs?

Kurt_s
10-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Sounds to me like I should be getting 2 red and 2 white and 2 grey for now, since I don't have a ton of correction..

Then use the white for Klasse AIO
grey for Klasse sealant
Red for wax application.

I guess I'll place my order, it would be really nice if it was here before the weekend. Where is AG located? Do they usually prep and ready an order within 24 hrs?

You may be able to get away with white but I use orange pads for correction.
Per the Klasse application link on AG (below).
White for AIO
Grey for Klasse Sealant, but the application guide recommends hand application.
Red for wax

The AIO will help fill swirls and scratches so you may not need anything more than the AIO to prep the paint. Here is the AG Klasse application guide link. Klasse usa ,Klasse Application Guide, How to apply Klasse AIO, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, All-in-one, klasse all-in-one (http://www.autogeek.net/klasse-usa.html)

AG is in Florida and turnaround is quick. They really are a great outfit. It normally takes 5 business days to ship ground to Southern California. If there are weekends and holidays in between, it's taken 10 days to get to me despite shipping that day. If you order right now and spend over $95, you can get free shipping.

There was a 10% discount code floating around a week ago that might still be good too.