PDA

View Full Version : How to correctly fold and use a Microfiber Towel

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Billbogey
10-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Thank you, I was wiping with flat towel. Should I use back and forth straight motion or circular motion to remove wax? I have been using back and forth motion.

conman1395
10-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Thank you, I was wiping with flat towel. Should I use back and forth straight motion or circular motion to remove wax? I have been using back and forth motion.
When removing compound and polish especially, I move my towel in one, straight motion. Not back and forth. For wax/sealant I just wipe with my plush towel, either worka fine.

Red Hawk
09-19-2015, 12:39 PM
One additional thing I do is wear dishwashing gloves whenever I touch a product to the car. Before I started this practice, I would notice streaks from my oily sweat, smearing the glass. Nothing heavy, just unable to get the glass streak free. If the glass is streaked, the paint must be as well. We all have skin oils. Many thanks to Mike & all the members here, who readily share their knowledge, so that everybody can benefit.

humbucker426
11-17-2015, 09:37 PM
Really informative! However, one thing I like to do is after folding it in half initially, the second fold would be into 3's. So I'll have 9 sides of clean cloth.

Cheetoh
08-04-2017, 05:56 PM
Just Wondering... Some Towels have a longer nap on one side of the towel than it does on the other side. Which side of the towel is the best side to use?

Rsurfer
08-04-2017, 07:37 PM
Just Wondering... Some Towels have a longer nap on one side of the towel than it does on the other side. Which side of the towel is the best side to use?

The short nap side is good for removing polish and waxes. It will bite and not just smear the product around. Use the longer nap side for a final wipe.

Rsurfer
08-04-2017, 07:38 PM
Wow, just noticed that you've been a member for over eleven years and this is your first post.

mwoywod
08-04-2017, 07:39 PM

All of the towels I own are dual pile and primarily edgeless. As a general rule, the plus nap side of the towel is what is best used with liquids (detail spray, waterless, spray wax) and the shorter nap side (terry weave) is better at removing polish, wax, and anything where more bite is needed. Most polishes, waxes, sealants, etc. are so easy to remove now days that I've been using shorter terry weave nap less and less.

For glass cleaning, I use the terry weave side more for it's extra bit, then flip it to the longer nap side to buff off any leftover streaks or residue.

mwoywod
08-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Rsurfer, sorry I didn't see your post until after mine. I just realized that even though we said basically the exact same thing, you were able to do it in far less words. I envy you

derass
08-05-2017, 01:09 AM
Mike Phillips pointed out a great technique for using dual-pile towels with spray waxes. The technique alone makes spray waxes work so much better because it will actually leave a layer of wax on the surface that you will see haze up before buffing off. I couldn't make this happen with my old technique, or lack thereof. So I'm sure durability is increased with his technique. Check out the article here:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2016-older-product-reviews-mike-phillips/104048-review-how-wolfgang-fuzion-spray-wax.html

AKT
01-02-2018, 08:03 AM
I've noticed when I have a MF folded 4-ways sometimes I experience the top half of the towel trying to "pass" the bottom half during a wipe. Essentially it's like the towel is trying to unfold while wiping. Is there any way to minimize this or is this just something that happens and you need to be attentive to it?

I just had this problem an hour ago when using pinnacle spray wax. Any advice for me? I saw Mike’s response about creeping out. But i used a spray wax so i am not removing a dried hazed up product...

Eldorado2k
01-02-2018, 08:06 AM
I just had this problem an hour ago when using pinnacle spray wax. Any advice for me? I saw Mike’s response about creeping out. But i used a spray wax so i am not removing a dried hazed up product...

Are you using a thick plush towel? I had the same thing happen a couple of days ago with the 16x16” PFM. It’s common for it to happen with towels that size.

AKT
01-02-2018, 08:08 AM
Hi eldorado - i used this https://www.autogeek.net/crimson-edgeless-towel.html

I don’t think we can consider this as plush. I was thinking maybe there is something wrong with my technique. When i watch detailers on youtube, they seem to have “complete control” of their towels [emoji28]

Eldorado2k
01-02-2018, 08:15 AM
Hi eldorado - i used this https://www.autogeek.net/crimson-edgeless-towel.html

I don’t think we can consider this as plush. I was thinking maybe there is something wrong with my technique. When i watch detailers on youtube, they seem to have “complete control” of their towels [emoji28]

Yea I just read the description.. I’ve got nothing. Lol.

Have you clayed your paint? Is it smooth passing the baggie test?

AKT
01-02-2018, 08:19 AM
Yea I just read the description.. I’ve got nothing. Lol.

Have you clayed your paint? Is it smooth passing the baggie test?

Maybe it is a fact of life. Or my paint is not as slick as the cars worked on by Mike P :)

I just clayed it around october. Did not do the baggie test though. Though while sipping my coke, vaping (yes i switched to vaping), and admiring my waxed car, i touched the hood and it is smoooooth :D

Anyhow, after applying the pinnacle spray wax to the whole car, i did a final wipe with the same type of towel. Lo and behold, issue is gone. Towel glides effortlessly.