PDA

View Full Version : Forum Addition?

TS656577
09-29-2010, 07:12 PM
AG, I love this site first and foremost. I also love the products/prices/customer service (especially CS, it's above top notch). I just had a quick thought. Has there ever been talk of a classifieds section? I mean, I know there is the samples that are passed around to people that people can add to or whatever, but I mean, a classifieds for detailing tools/supplies or just in general. I feel like with the traffic this site gets, that a classifieds might be pretty convenient. I'm sorry if there is already a thread about this. I'll admit, I didn't search before-hand. :o

Dubbin1
09-29-2010, 07:18 PM
AG, I love this site first and foremost. I also love the products/prices/customer service (especially CS, it's above top notch). I just had a quick thought. Has there ever been talk of a classifieds section? I mean, I know there is the samples that are passed around to people that people can add to or whatever, but I mean, a classifieds for detailing tools/supplies or just in general. I feel like with the traffic this site gets, that a classifieds might be pretty convenient. I'm sorry if there is already a thread about this. I'll admit, I didn't search before-hand. :o

We don't sell, that is why there is only a trade section.

ScottB
09-29-2010, 07:19 PM
It was decided before the forum was designed that reselling and outside sales would not be appropriate. The sites original intention was to help those that use the brands AG offers, to have insight and best practices on their uses. It is also impossible to police selling and often times when a deal goes bad the individuals turn to forum for help.

TS656577
09-29-2010, 07:27 PM
It was decided before the forum was designed that reselling and outside sales would not be appropriate. The sites original intention was to help those that use the brands AG offers, to have insight and best practices on their uses. It is also impossible to police selling and often times when a deal goes bad the individuals turn to forum for help.
Mmmk. Thanks for the clarification. I definitely do understand that part of it. Being an Admin on a car site, I get messages about spam/fraud/etc. Thanks for the clarification though!

Shade Tree
09-29-2010, 10:05 PM

That's why forums normally place a disclaimer to the participants ....... "Buyer Beware" deal.

It wouldn't be difficult for the AG forum to adopt an "iTrader rating" system though. Each participant would have the opportunity to rate the trade experience. This way a short description is given regarding the experience/contact/deal, the original post showing the trade offered is linked to the trade review for any forum members to look at and both participants are able to establish an "iTrader rating" ......... kind of like an Ebay rating deal, but available only to forum members and not viewable to outside sources.

This way if a member is offering something for trade their user name could be used as a reference for a quick and simple search to the trading history. Right now the idea of the thread for trading experiences is OK .......... certainly not convenient when a member has to wade through pages to find a trading history of a particular member.

As a moderator of a well known auto forum I know that this system works flawlessly.

It's simpler than I make it sound ........ My .03

Dubbin1
09-29-2010, 10:53 PM
That's why forums normally place a disclaimer to the participants ....... "Buyer Beware" deal.

It wouldn't be difficult for the AG forum to adopt an "iTrader rating" system though. Each participant would have the opportunity to rate the trade experience. This way a short description is given regarding the experience/contact/deal, the original post showing the trade offered is linked to the trade review for any forum members to look at and both participants are able to establish an "iTrader rating" ......... kind of like an Ebay rating deal, but available only to forum members and not viewable to outside sources.

This way if a member is offering something for trade their user name could be used as a reference for a quick and simple search to the trading history. Right now the idea of the thread for trading experiences is OK .......... certainly not convenient when a member has to wade through pages to find a trading history of a particular member.

As a moderator of a well known auto forum I know that this system works flawlessly.

It's simpler than I make it sound ........ My .03

And you will still get problems with people getting the shaft. AGO doesn't want anything to do with that. Also if you think about it AGO is first and foremost a STORE, why would they want to loose sales by allowing it in their own forum???

TS656577
09-29-2010, 11:07 PM
And you will still get problems with people getting the shaft. AGO doesn't want anything to do with that. Also if you think about it AGO is first and foremost a STORE, why would they want to loose sales by allowing it in their own forum???
This. I don't want this to turn into a debate. It was merely a thought in my mind (scary place sometimes). I respect AG's opinion and decision and if they don't want a classifieds section, then that's that. No objection here.

Shade Tree
09-29-2010, 11:17 PM
And you will still get problems with people getting the shaft. AGO doesn't want anything to do with that. Also if you think about it AGO is first and foremost a STORE, why would they want to lose sales by allowing it in their own forum???

Of course you're going to have those problems (has anyone gotten the shaft in trading here yet?) ....... but you're missing the point of my post & making assumptions. I never said anything about outside products being allowed.

As a matter of fact, the existing "trade" thread only shows forum members trading products that are readily available from AG .......... why would you think the iTrade idea would be any different? AG already allows a rough outline of what I described above so I'm not sure where you would perceive there to be any difference of a simpler way to accomplish the same idea.

There's a reason RULES would apply so as to continue the AG spirit of promoting/selling/trading their product line up.

Dubbin1
09-30-2010, 12:55 AM
Of course you're going to have those problems (has anyone gotten the shaft in trading here yet?) ....... but you're missing the point of my post & making assumptions.

Several people including me have gotten the shaft in the trading thread and no, I'm not missing anything. We now have a trading feedback thread that is working well ;)

Shade Tree
09-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Glad to hear it ......... public forums support all types of opinions which is one of the reasons they exist in the first place. :xyxthumbs:

Glad it's working well even though you were cheated.

Meghan
09-30-2010, 10:14 AM
It is also impossible to police selling and often times when a deal goes bad the individuals turn to forum for help.

:whs:

S2K
09-30-2010, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE=Shade Tree;362163] I never said anything about outside products being allowed.

I understand why AG doesn't allow advertising or linking to other products but I find it interesting that I have seen employees of AG advertising AG products for sale on other forums which have their own store.