PDA

View Full Version : Help! Messed up some pc'd wheels

Jeremy
09-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Ok so while ago I sprayed some four star wheel gel on the wheels like I normally would but now they are stained and all hazy. Come to find out they aren't clear coated. How can I fix this?

Jeremy
09-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Oh and they are black. Not sure what to do it's a customers truck

Mike Phillips
09-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Ok so while ago I sprayed some four star wheel gel on the wheels like I normally would but now they are stained and all hazy. Come to find out they aren't clear coated. How can I fix this?

The webpage for Four Star Ultimate Wheel Cleaner Gel (http://www.autogeek.net/four-star-wheel-cleaner.html) states the product is safe for wheels that are,

Clear coated
Polished
Painted
Aluminum
Chrome
Anodized

That would include the wheels you're working on...

At this point I would try some type of paint cleaner and hand clean/polish the paint.

The stains you see are likely topical and should polish off with a light abrasive paint polish. If the staining penetrates further into the paint than just topical then it might take more elbow grease or it might be a lost cause, only some testing will help you to find out.

What kind of compounds, polishes and paint cleaners do you have in your detailing arsenal?

:)

Jeremy
09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Hey mike thanks for responding

I have
P21s cleansing lotion and TAW
M105 and 205
Powerfinish
Ultrafina
Pb pro polish
Ssr1

Never had a problem with powdercoated wheels before like this

ScottB
09-29-2010, 10:59 AM
perhaps the wheels were hot/very warm ?? Normally this wheel cleaner is quite light. I think Mikes got you covered, use some polish.

Jeremy
09-29-2010, 11:04 AM
I tried m105 on a mf pad. It helped but not anything near fixed. Bout to hit a spot with the pc. If that works then I guess I have to go buy a powercone an find a drill

Dubbin1
09-29-2010, 11:09 AM

You said you sprayed this on a while ago, did it stain then or did the stain just appear later on? If it didn't harm the wheels right away then I would say the customer is pulling something over on you.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Do yu let the cleaner sit on the wheels in the sun?

Jeremy
09-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Yeah the wheels were hot but I did spray them with water first. Maybe not enough it looks like. I let it sit on there for maybe 3 minutes

Jeremy
09-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Well to update.....

Nothing by hand would touch it. I was able to see improvement with m105 and my bare fingers. But not enough to keep doing it. I tried m105 and white pad on my pc. Worked ok. So I borrowed a drill and bought a powerball. Added some 105 and went to town. The front wheels took many many passes but I pretty much got it. Oh well another lesson learned

LegacyGT
09-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Pics?

Jeremy
09-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Pics?

I tried. Couldn't capture it with the iPhone

Lasthope05
09-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Thats too bad you found that out the hard way. Even thought some wheel cleaners are touted as safe for all wheels I still do no trust them when it comes to powder-coated wheels(has you have just found out) and anodized wheels(if staining occurs you cannot remove them without damaging the finish.)

It is with only these two types of wheels to I stick solely to just shampoo.