PDA

View Full Version : Door Guard care

DaHen
09-29-2010, 07:41 AM
Hi Mike,

I did a fast search on this item. But not knowing what to officially call it, I couldn't find any help.

Think it called something like "Door Bump Guard" or just "Door Guard".
Anywho, normally they are just black but as shown in the photo, this one is the same green color as the rest of the van. And it has a bumpy texture.
Can I treat it just like the rest of the van and use any of the polishes, sealants and waxes?
Was able to use the clay bar on it without any problems, but as I used some of Maguire's Ultimate Compound on it, some of the green color came off onto the applicator.

Like the rest of the van, I plan on using Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer, 2 coats of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, then 2 coats of Collinite #845.

Impressions
09-29-2010, 07:54 AM
most likely it was painted with some kind of single stage rock guard or chip guard........I would just seal it than wax

ScottB
09-29-2010, 08:08 AM
I treat painted ones just like paint, I treat/protect plastic ones like I would trim, and I protect metal and chrome ones just as I would wheels.

DaHen
09-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks people,
Sounds like a plan. Will apply the sealant and wax 'em up.

This is on my daughter-in-laws van. Don't think it has ever seen a coat of wax. Got the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on it today which helped the green pop out.
Had used a clay bar years ago when they first appeared on the market. It didn't help mostly cause I didn't know the proper procedure to use them.
But now, thanks to the people on this forum, I've learned how to greatly improve the surface of the paint by claying it.
Thought the van was clean after I washed it with Dawn. But a big difference after the clay bar.