PDA

View Full Version : Am i missing anything??

i_love_my_jeep
09-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum and had a basic question which has probably been answered a couple hundred times already, but nevertheless here i am..

I have a 07' Wrangler. After a lot of research on products and their uses and detailing steps, this is what I ended up doing:
1) wash
2) clay - mothers clay kit
3) Meguiar's wax cleaner
4) turtle paste wax..

Is there anything that I am missing or not doing that should be done???

Is the Meguiar's wax cleaner step necessary??

Is Wax same as a Paint Sealant??

Appreciate all your help...
Cheers...

Dubbin1
09-28-2010, 01:37 PM
You were doing good until you got to the turtle wax. There are many OTC waxes that you can pick up that MUCH better then turtle wax.

Mike Phillips
09-28-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm going to delete the duplicate of this post...

A single post per topic is the norm on discussion forums...

Oh yeah... since this was your first post...

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

:welcome:

Mike Phillips
09-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Hi,

I have a 07' Wrangler. After a lot of research on products and their uses and detailing steps, this is what I ended up doing:

1) wash
2) clay - mothers clay kit
3) Meguiar's wax cleaner
4) turtle paste wax..

Is there anything that I am missing or not doing that should be done???

Is the Meguiar's wax cleaner step necessary??

You can stop after the Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax.

Topping with Turtle Wax won't hurt but Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax is a time-proven great one-step wax that give professional results.

It's also a great maintenance wax.

Is Wax same as a Paint Sealant??

Both product serve the same function which is to protect the paint but they are different in their chemical make-up...

Here's an article I wrote that goes over all this?

How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-how-choose-right-wax-paint-sealant-your-detailing-project.html)

More articles in my Signature Line...

:)

i_love_my_jeep
09-28-2010, 02:12 PM
@ Mike,
your write-up How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project was quite informative...

Had a question though, you mention the 3 step process and the 2nd step being: Dedicated polishing or glazing step
- so what does this entail, what products are used for this?? or did the Meguiar's Cleaner Wax take of this in my case??

longdx
09-28-2010, 02:35 PM
After you clay your vehicle, look at it in either Sunlight or with a dedicated light (Xenon spotlight). If you see swirls and or other imperfections (spiderwebbing, etc), then you would ptrobably like to use a polish. The polishing step is used to minutely abrade the paint around the scratches/swirls to optically eliminate the appearance of the imperfections. A Glaze (an optional step) is used to improve gloss of the paint (and can also "fill" or hide small scratches). The final step is to use either a wax/sealant to protect the surface from UV rays/contaminants. Meguiars Cleaner Wax does have a very mild polishing ability.

LegacyGT
09-28-2010, 02:41 PM
It all depends on the condition of the paint. If no swirls, just a cleaner wax will be fine, if light swirls, use an all in one product AIO or something that finishes down nicely. Heavy scratches -> compound with heavy then polish with finishing.

i_love_my_jeep
09-28-2010, 03:35 PM
It all depends on the condition of the paint. If no swirls, just a cleaner wax will be fine, if light swirls, use an all in one product AIO or something that finishes down nicely. Heavy scratches -> compound with heavy then polish with finishing.

Thanks for your input...

I have some light scratches from running trails...

can you recommend a good polish...

cheers...

A4 1.8tqm
09-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Try Meguiar's Scratch-X, if that doesn't take care of the defects try Meguiar's Ultimate Compound followed by Scratch-X to polish any compounding marks out. Remember to only work on a small section (2'x2' or smaller) until you find a process that works for you. Then you can repeat the successful process to the rest of the car. If you don't have a machine polisher like the Porter Cable XP etc., your in for a workout! :D

i_love_my_jeep
09-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks for all the help guys...

Mike Phillips
09-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks for all the help guys...

Looks like everyone chimed in and I don't think there's much I can add....

This is what makes this forum so powerful, quality forum members providing top quality information...

:dblthumb2: