PDA

View Full Version : Question(s) regarding Ford paint and ...

durant113
09-27-2010, 11:09 PM
I am new to the site so be gentle if my question has been asked before. I have been reading that some newer Ford vehicles have a ceramic clear-coat? How do I know if my F-150 has this? Also, since the truck is new what would one recommend in regards to polishing? It has very few if any scratches in the paint. I recently purchased some Merguiars 105, Griots Ro Polisher, Rejex, a six pack of of 5.5" CCS pads and some Griots machine polish. I am also looking for any suggestions on what else to purchase or try since the venom from the detailing bug bite has overtaken me. Thanks in advance for all of the advice, both past and present.

fancyfootwork
09-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Get a quality wax also.

JonMiles
09-27-2010, 11:59 PM
I'd pick up some interior cleaning and protection products also, you are going to spend most of your time inside the truck so make sure to keep it looking new. As far as essentials for the exterior:
a quality soap
clay
wheel cleaner
tire black
trim protectant
and a couple gritguards to make sure you don't swirl your paint

TLMitchell
09-28-2010, 12:32 AM
I am new to the site so be gentle if my question has been asked before. I have been reading that some newer Ford vehicles have a ceramic clear-coat? How do I know if my F-150 has this? Also, since the truck is new what would one recommend in regards to polishing? It has very few if any scratches in the paint. I recently purchased some Merguiars 105, Griots Ro Polisher, Rejex, a six pack of of 5.5" CCS pads and some Griots machine polish. I am also looking for any suggestions on what else to purchase or try since the venom from the detailing bug bite has overtaken me. Thanks in advance for all of the advice, both past and present.

Can't answer as to Ford clearcoat but regardless of what's on there 105 will do the job. If you have few or very minor swirls on a new vehicle 105 is probably overkill, although it finishes very nicely with a polishing or even a finishing pad. I'm unfamiliar with the GG machine polish... you'll want to determine if it's non-diminishing abrasives like 105 or diminishing so you'll know whether you need to work it until it breaks down or not.

Hope you got a 5" backing plate for the 5.5" pads. The GG polisher comes with a 6" backing plate.

Don't worry about what else to buy, figure out how to use what you have first. In a few months you'll probably have one of everything available anyway. As well as an empty bank account. Been there, done that. :D

Have fun and start with a test spot and don't even THINK about doing the whole truck until you have a process and plan of attack figured out. Regardless of how many articles you read or how many videos you watch there's still a good bit of trial and error involved in the learning curve.

TL

durant113
09-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I am lucky to still have my 12 year old Mercury Sable I had in college. It is black and has never been waxed. I have used the 105 and an orange LC CCS pad with the 5" backer and was pretty surprised at how well it turned out. I am planning on doing the back half of the car this weekend and will have to take some before and after pics.
As for pads so far I have 2 orange, 2 Green, 1 White, 1 Black, LC CCS pads plus the two that came with the polisher. After doing some more reading on pads I think I may need to add a few more.
Thanks again to all for you insight.

jd56
09-28-2010, 10:36 PM
I have the Harley Davidson special addition f150. To day I recived my order, I'v been like a little kid waiting for the damn box LOL. I ordered porter cable light swirl remover kit. And the griots 3 in polisher kit. I hope I dont need anything else right now, and thats enough to get the job done, what you guys think. Also my wife has a 04 chevy colorado, red the paint is dull whats the best poduct to us on that, thanks guys.

jd56
09-28-2010, 10:39 PM
I have 2 more suvs to do after they see how mine comes out, so ill be asking for alot of tips guys thanks alot.