PDA

View Full Version : Rotary... Help me pick

ryandamartini
11-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Well I was doing my stepdads Lexus Sc400 yesterday for his birthday and it just kicked my ass.

The PC on a yellow pad with XMT3 didnt touch the swirls. It took three passes to see any change. The clear on the lex seemed to just reflect the XMT. I have never seen xmt3 dust like that. I figure with all the wonderful hard paints around I should start learning how to use a rotary.

Let me know your picks!

-Ryan

Padron
11-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Did you try a 4" pad? I have a Hitachi rotary and love it...:)

sparkie
11-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Well I was doing my stepdads Lexus Sc400 yesterday for his birthday and it just kicked my ass.

The PC on a yellow pad with XMT3 didnt touch the swirls. It took three passes to see any change. The clear on the lex seemed to just reflect the XMT. I have never seen xmt3 dust like that. I figure with all the wonderful hard paints around I should start learning how to use a rotary.

Let me know your picks!

-Ryan
I'm getting a rotary, don't know what kind. I think its a Christmas thing or something like that. I did talk about the yellow and green ones at AG. But the wifes daddy said he can get one, you know what I'm saying. The only thing is, I get the pads. One person said LC 6.5". But I really like my Edge pads on my PC. I wish more would chime in here and tell me cons and pros of their pads.

justin_murphy
11-24-2006, 01:51 PM
I will be getting the Vector. It's a cheaper rotary. It's only 60.00! I've heard lots of good things about it. For 60 bucks how can you go wrong? A lot of well respected detailers I know have one and have used for over 3 years a piece.

PM me if you want a link.

Sevenrd
11-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Did you try a 4" pad? I have a Hitachi rotary and love it...:)
Another Hitachi owner here. Works great. No complaints. :)

I'm using the Edge 2000 pads with it and have great results.

sparkie
11-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Another Hitachi owner here. Works great. No complaints. :)

I'm using the Edge 2000 pads with it and have great results.

The one we use on our PCs? DA pads?

justin_murphy
11-24-2006, 02:20 PM

They have an 8" inch rotary system too. The same pads as our ShMitts.

Al-53
11-24-2006, 05:47 PM
I have both ..A Makita and a Hitachi..and I like the Hitachi a little better...seems smoother and also has a 5 year warranty....also the Hitachi seems more balanced....I use my 6.5 " pads with them...you get more control..less hop...get into places better...I got no holograms with the 6.5 than the 7.5 or 8"s....alot of times with the bigger pads you tend to run on edge more than flat...

But my Hitachi is my go to buffer now...

AL

William's_Detail
11-24-2006, 07:30 PM
Dewalt works good ...

Juztang
11-24-2006, 07:33 PM
I just got a new Hitachi. I really like it so far. A lot lighter and quieter than the old Dewalt I had.

cwcad
11-24-2006, 08:27 PM
I will be getting the Vector. It's a cheaper rotary. It's only 60.00! I've heard lots of good things about it. For 60 bucks how can you go wrong? A lot of well respected detailers I know have one and have used for over 3 years a piece.

PM me if you want a link.

If you want to learn how to handle a rotary with a few well placed funds the Vector is the way to go. It works. Have had mine two years and have done multiple jobs with it.

If money is no object .....METABO

ryandamartini
11-24-2006, 09:48 PM
thanks for the input everyone.

I will probably look into getting the Vector or the Hitachi.

heavychevy
11-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Porter cable works good for me. some good deals on it too.

Sevenrd
11-26-2006, 12:48 PM

beastie, I'm using the 8" edge 2000 pads. I currently only use the rotary on the larger, flat panels, and only when the PC is having trouble with those areas. The 8" pads work great for this. If I begin using the rotary more, I'd look into getting some 6" pads for it.