PDA

View Full Version : Not happy with Menzerna

Pages : [1] 2

Kris R
09-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I bought 4 big bottles of Menzerna because people loose their mind over it. 85rd is good. The power gloss and the mid abrassive polish Im just not that impressed with. Powergloss dries out WAY to fast and dusts like crazy. Yes I prime the pad. No I dont use to much or little.

Thinking of going the M105 route. I use a rotary and a PCxp with yellow lake country pads or orange ones with the powergloss.

Thinking about stepping up to wool. Ive come across some BEATERS that I wanted to practice on and the scratches and swirls just laughed at Menzerna.

Rsurfer
09-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Thinking about stepping up to wool. Ive come across some BEATERS that I wanted to practice on and the scratches and swirls just laughed at Menzerna.
Power gloss with a yellow pad with a rotary and the swirls just laughed at Menz...you are doing something wrong my friend. If you think PG dries quickly wait till you try 105.

Dubbin1
09-23-2010, 09:13 PM
I bought 4 big bottles of Menzerna because people loose their mind over it. 85rd is good. The power gloss and the mid abrassive polish Im just not that impressed with. Powergloss dries out WAY to fast and dusts like crazy. Yes I prime the pad. No I dont use to much or little.

Thinking of going the M105 route. I use a rotary and a PCxp with yellow lake country pads or orange ones with the powergloss.

If you're trying to get away from dusting then M105 isn't the answer.

CEE DOG
09-23-2010, 09:18 PM
If you're trying to get away from dusting then M105 isn't the answer.

For sure

Flash Gordon
09-23-2010, 09:22 PM
For sure

No doubt

blackjz
09-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Optimum Hyper compound is the solution if you want no dust :)

Old Tiger
09-23-2010, 09:48 PM

If you dont want dusting, try the new Optimum Hyper Compound Spray. It is a radical departure from MPG and M105! I wont go back to either!

SATracker
09-23-2010, 11:55 PM
I only use Menzerna 85rd so I can't speak to the problems you're having, but I can "second" what the other guys have said; Meguiar's 105 makes a whole lotta dust- I mean, geez momma. I even tried Kevin Brown's approach and carefully primed the pad with product and it can still be a snow storm. I still use Meguiar's 105 because it works for me, but it's a challenge.
At the most recent Detailing 102 seminar that Mike Phillip's taught, we tried a variety of products. We tried the products out on rotaries (and that might make a difference) Mother's & Menzerna didn't dust, I don't remember which Meguiar's products we used, & the folks were impressed with the Optimum compound. The best detailer in south/ central Texas uses the Optimum product. Hopes this helps.

SATracker
09-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Oh yeah, with the Optimum compound- shake the bottle very thoroughly, and getting it to spray in a mist form instead of a straight line might take some careful manipulation of the spray nozzle.

SATracker
09-24-2010, 12:16 AM
For what it's worth, ran across this article from Meguiar's online:
Polishing How To with Meguiar’s M105 / M205 – Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/polishing-how-to-with-meguiars-m105-m205/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=polishing-w-megs-105-205&utm_campaign=meguiar-sale-09-23-2010)

rwisejr
09-24-2010, 06:15 AM
For what it's worth, ran across this article from Meguiar's online:
Polishing How To with Meguiar’s M105 / M205 – Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/polishing-how-to-with-meguiars-m105-m205/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=polishing-w-megs-105-205&utm_campaign=meguiar-sale-09-23-2010)

FYI I would take out this link as its to a competitors site

A4 1.8tqm
09-24-2010, 07:09 AM
FYI I would take out this link as its to a competitors site

FYI when you quote the potentially offending link, it does not get edited if the poster edits their post, thus the mods will still have to intervene and edit your post... thus defeating the purpose of telling them to remove the link. :xyxthumbs:

Wendell Jarvis
09-24-2010, 07:36 AM

Just like surfer said....If you think Menzerna dries out to quick...lol....just wait when you use the M105....you are really going to freak out. Not sure what all is going on in your situation, but Menzerna has never failed me at all..long working time, sure it kicks up a dust storm, but the end results are worth it to me and my customers......Menzerna Rocks !!

A4 1.8tqm
09-24-2010, 08:03 AM

Try dampening a fresh pad with some pad lube, working it in by hand then squeezing out the excess by pressing a clean MF against the pad or rolling the pad up in a clean towel, as Mike P. demonstrates for drying pads by hand. Having some moisture in the pad should help the Power Gloss stay wet long enough for it to "flash". Once it does, IME, you will be amazed by both the amount of correction and the quality of the finish. Also using both compressed air and a clean towel to clean the pad on the fly after each section pass will greatly reduce the dusting.

I have just the opposite experience with PG, it destroys sanding marks on LC yellow via rotary, finishing beautifully. and it takes care of the majority of swirls on almost anything via Flex 3401.

RIDS on the other hand are a different story, Power gloss can greatly reduce the appearance of scratches, but complete removal may not be feasible. The swirls on an "old beater" could very well be (what I just made up) EDDS or Evenly Distributed Deeper Scratches, which may be too much to expect a single pass with a compound to correct.

Also if it's factory paint, it probably isn't a good idea to remove as much clear as it would take to level the surface to the depth of the scratch. I guess it's just a matter of evaluating the paint condition and having realistic expectations.

I think it is because the polish dries up on you so fast that your not happy with the results. Try again with the lubed up pad and work it as long as you can... It's good stuff I swear, if you still don't like it, I would definitely give your unwanted Menz a good home. :)

Kris R
09-24-2010, 08:09 AM
great thanks! I think Im going to try the Optimum and the wool. Maybe give PG a new approach.