PDA

View Full Version : Question about my winter prep plans..

dennisi01
09-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Hey all, I'm majorly new to this whole thing (actually trying to take good care of my vehicles:), and I was hoping to get some feedback/questions answered regarding my plans on protecting our cars for winter (red tacoma and silver forester). Any help is much appreciated! This would also turn into a little side-by-side durability test, since i plan on doing the wife's forester different than my truck.

The tacoma is new, but has some slight swirl marks (either from me, or the people who cleaned it before I got it) but they arent numerous and can only be seen in direct sunlight. I currently do not have a PC, and was wondering what would be a good product to use to address these by hand? Heres my plan for the tacoma:

My Truck:
Wash: Duragloss spiked with a dash of ONR
clay: meguiars clay kit, using ONR as a clay lube
polish: not sure, poli-seal? wolfgangs? anybody have any recommendations for a good polish for light swirls?
wax/sealant: I have a WGDGPS sample, and I was thinking of doing a coat (or 2?) of that, with collinite 476s/885 (1 coat? 2?), topped a week later by 845(1 or 2?). I suppose my real question is does anybody think that the collinite wouldnt play nice with the WGDGPS?

Wife's forester:
wash: duragloss spiked with onr
clay: meguiars
polish: same situation, her car is silver so its hard to make out any blemishes, even after a year, looking for a good reco on this also
wax/sealant: klass AIO, followed by 2+ coats of KSG. I was planing to apply the KSG with a spritz bottle, mixed in a 3:1 ratio with sonus acrylic glanz, applied with a MF pad. does anybody know a better way, or have any suggestions? I've never applied KSG, or collinite for that matter).

I also have a bottle of meguiars #7, which i bought not knowing it was more for single stage paints, is this worth using anywhere in this mixup?

Thank you for reading what turned out to be a much longer post than I expected, and will very much appreciate any feedback/comments/criticizms!!!!

Feed back please

BobbyG
09-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Preparing a cars finish for winter is an important step in routine maintenance if your goal is to keep the finish sparkling for years. Below are some steps along with some product suggestions.

Car Wash: Duragloss 901, DP Extreme Foam, Meguiar's Hyper-Wash
Clay: Any non abrasive clay will work well
Compound: Menzerna Power Gloss, Meguiar's M105
Medium Polish: Menzerna Power Finish, Meguiar's M205
Final Polish: Menzerna PO85RD
Liquid Sealant: Menzerna Power Lock, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
Liquid Wax: Collinite 845, Pinnacle Souveran,
Paste wax: Pinnacle Signature Series, Poorboy's Natty, DP Max Wax, Wolfgang Fusion
Trim: Poorboy's World Trim Restore, Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant
Wheel Cleaner: Meguiar's Wheel Brightener
Wheel Wax: DP Wheel Glaze, Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant

dennisi01
09-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks Bobby! According to the Menzerna description, it is best applied by machine.. is it OK to apply by hand, or not worth it?