PDA

View Full Version : Fk1000p or 845IW?

wn1998
09-21-2010, 10:13 PM
looking to put on two coats for winter on both of my cars and wanted to know which one you guys would recommend. Both cars are garaged in the winter (Chicago) however we use a lot of salt so I try to do a garage ONR bath at least once every two-three weeks. I think the FK100P would stain my trim but I could probably keep it off the trim if it is a better wax than the 845IW.

Thanks!

Buckskincolt
09-21-2010, 10:22 PM
The FK1000 is a sealant and the Col 845 is a wax...So what I would do is one coat of FK1000 then 12 "dry" hours later top it with the 845. Now you have the best of both worlds. Both are good products. the FK1000 can be finicky to buff off. FWIW I would make the effort to Keep both off your trim.:buffing:

Lasthope05
09-21-2010, 10:35 PM
845 is a hybrid wax and sealant so it can technically be used as a top coat.

With the two choices you gave I would use one or the other. Both have excellent durability that will easily make it though the winter and into spring.

Having both, FK1000P has the upper hand when it comes to repelling/releasing dirt and 845 has the upper hand when it comes to ease of application.

svs
09-21-2010, 11:47 PM
+1 for 845 (ease of use comparatively)

wn1998
09-22-2010, 01:41 PM
I think I am going to go with the Fk1000P. How long do I need to wait before I add a second coat?

Buckskincolt
09-22-2010, 03:18 PM
845 is a hybrid wax and sealant so it can technically be used as a top coat.

HUMM, In the product description it is described as a Carnauba WAX and in Mike P's article here http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html he lists it as a finish wax not a Hybrid. So I do believe its a Carnauba Wax not a Hybrid.

I would allow 12 hrs between coats of FK1000 But I really dislike working with it. I will be testing it and a couple other sealants this winter against the 845. If it were me I'd use 2 coats 845 with no wait time between coats FWIW.

Lasthope05
09-22-2010, 03:44 PM
I remember at the time Mike was writing that, he ask for members inputs towards the correctness of the list. Mike was still somewhat new to AG and unfamiliar with all its products.
[That list is still has an errors. Pink wax listed as both a hybrid and finish wax.]

From collinites own site.

5) What is the difference between the 845 and the 476s?

The 845 and 476s are made with the same ingredients, but the 476s lasts longer due to the fact that it has a higher concentration of natural and synthetic waxes. This is why the 476s is tougher to work with. The 845 has been Collinite’s overall best seller for 20 years due to the fact that it has excellent durability combined with an ease of use.

If you are interested in addition information concerning collinite products/application techniques, here is a good read.
Last's nights Chat Room Transcript: Q&A with special guest Collinite's Patrick Taylor - Truth In Detailing Auto Detailing Forum (http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2831&highlight=collinite)

WRAPT C5Z06
09-22-2010, 05:03 PM
#845 is a hybrid wax.

FK1000P is a PITA to use, IMO. I'd go with #845 as it's plenty durable and easier to use.

RTexasF
09-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Given the choice I would choose #845.........two coats to cover areas you may have missed initially.

Make it shine!
09-22-2010, 06:22 PM
845IW all the way, 2 coats and your good to go for the season. Its what I use on my cars and my go to protection for my customers winterization packages.

Buckskincolt
09-22-2010, 09:24 PM
#845 is a hybrid wax.
Show me anywhere that it says it has ploymers in it? And if there are no ploy's then what makes it a hybird?:dunno:

From Collinite's web page.

Liquid Insulator Wax (No. 845)
Liquid/Gel Protector
A liquid/gel version of the S-238, this heavy-duty pure wax is ideal for new and old insulators and bushings alike, providing an almost indestructible protective coating against the adhesion of foreign elements. With its ease-of-use the No. 845 makes an excellent choice for fleet maintenance where both lasting protection and timely job completion are paramount. Makes future electrical maintenance quicker and easier. Contains no abrasives or cleaners. For longest-lasting results on heavily contaminated surfaces, first apply Collinite’s No. 237 High Voltage Cleaner.

dougaross
09-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Show me anywhere that it says it has ploymers in it? And if there are no ploy's then what makes it a hybird?:dunno:

Liquid/Gel Protector
A liquid/gel version of the S-238, this heavy-duty pure wax is ideal for new and old insulators and bushings alike, providing an almost indestructible protective coating against the adhesion of foreign elements. With its ease-of-use the No. 845 makes an excellent choice for fleet maintenance where both lasting protection and timely job completion are paramount. Makes future electrical maintenance quicker and easier. Contains no abrasives or cleaners. For longest-lasting results on heavily contaminated surfaces, first apply Collinite’s No. 237 High Voltage Cleaner.

Collinite's Patrick Taylor made the following statement in a chat on another forum referenced above:
"The 845 is actually a carnuba/polymer combo"

Rob T
09-22-2010, 10:34 PM
I've used FK 1000p on and off for a few years now. Very good stuff, but I agree it is a bit hard to work with.

It is excellent at repelling/releasing dirt and grime. It looks best on lighter colors.

I had previously tried 845 on my yellow SS paint and for some reason I had a lot of difficulty in application/removal.

I just tried it again yesterday on my wife's silver car, and I have to say that I was very pleased with the results. It applied easily and removed even easier, and the initial appearance was *very* good on the silver. Nice and bright, reflective and wet. I'm used to sealants where the appearance doesn't really show itself until the next day, but 845 looked great immediately.

Looked at my wife's car today, and it looks clean, no dust to speak of, so it doesn't look to be a dust magnet either.

Obviously I can't comment on it's ability to repel dirt/grime or it's longevity, but based on *numerous* reviews/posts about this product over many years, I really don't think you can go wrong with 845, and you can't go wrong with the 1000p either.

Rob T
09-22-2010, 10:36 PM

Liquid/Gel Protector

This has been discussed at length at various forums.

As others have indicated, 845 is, indeed, a hybrid.

Why else would there be so much difference in how long this product lasts vs other "pure" carnauba's?