PDA

View Full Version : Rain vs. Wax/Sealant?

Nira
09-21-2010, 07:59 PM
I was wondering what were the affects of rain on wax/sealant if it was left to be dried by the hot sun?

zliegen
09-21-2010, 08:36 PM
I was wondering what were the affects of rain on wax/sealant if it was left to be dried by the hot sun?
Both will leave water spots if thats what you're asking.

Buckskincolt
09-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Be a little more specific please.:dunno:

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
09-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Be a little more specific please.:dunno:

I think what he means is, if his car is waxed...or sealed...and it rains on it and then dries...will the wax protect it from the rain or will it still cause things like water spots on the paint.

My answer would be the wax/sealant will surely HELP, but if it gets baked on...it will etch thru the wax and into the paint...maybe not as bad, but it still will probably leave spots. Your best bet I would say (if you dont want to wash the whole thing after the rain is finished) is to either use a rinseless car wash for a quick touch up...or if its not TOO bad...I'd hit it with a spray detailer.

CEE DOG
09-21-2010, 10:25 PM

With both wax and sealants: the residue that was on your car and anything that happens to be in the rain is left in spots (where it is placed by the water drops) which will cause water spots over time. Some waxes and sealants may buy you a little more time then others but if you want to be safe you get the water spots off asap.

Dirty car - Wash it (2 bucket)
Not as dirty car and little time to wash - Rinsless wash like ONR or DP
Even less dirty car and less time to wash - Waterless wash like OOC

svs
09-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Hit it with a waterless wash or qaulity Quick detailer as soon as you can or if you have a bit more time to address it, use a rinse less wash or full 2 bucket wash.
Wax and or a sealant wont bullet proof your vehicle but like CEE DOG said will buy you some time.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
09-22-2010, 01:14 AM
I think posting to this thread jinxed me, it just freakin rained and I just washed the truck yesterday!

Pristine Image
09-22-2010, 07:24 AM
I think posting to this thread jinxed me, it just freakin rained and I just washed the truck yesterday!

Heh, I know the feeling. I washed my truck a few weeks ago and it rained immediately after I parked it. Then, this past weekend, I washed it again and it rained a few hours later. I don't think I'll ever have a spotless black truck for more than a couple of hours.

Mike Phillips
09-22-2010, 07:29 AM
My experience is that it makes the wax or sealant a lot more difficult to wipe off, difficult enough that you'll likely instill some swirls and scratches during your struggle...

What product do you have on your vehicle?

:)

lee1dew
09-22-2010, 01:01 PM
What is it in rain that would cause damage to an LSP/clearcoat if left to dry? I can see minerals deposits left by tap water being a problem, but for rain, shouldn't it just be dust and dirt in the atmosphere (unless you have acid rain issues)?

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
09-22-2010, 02:09 PM
What is it in rain that would cause damage to an LSP/clearcoat if left to dry? I can see minerals deposits left by tap water being a problem, but for rain, shouldn't it just be dust and dirt in the atmosphere (unless you have acid rain issues)?

Today I would think almost all rain has some acid rain issue with it. Plus during evaporation I dont think JUST water goes up...i'm sure some mineral deposts go up as well...and on the way down as you said im sure it picks up some nice goodies.

In short..if you let the rain dry on your ride, you're gonna see nice white spots of where the dropletts dried...which will eventually eat thru your wax...*shurgs* its just part of what happens...after you wash it just hit it with a spray wax and you should be ok till your next full wax job.

Nira
09-23-2010, 11:00 PM
More specific question:

After letting the wax and sealant cure properly, What will happen if I was at work and it started raining. After a quick heavy downfall of rain, the sun comes back out and dries out the rain on the paint. This happens almost 3-4 times a week here and I was wondering if I should rinse it off or just wash/clay/wax etc.. once a week?

The products I'm using are the following:
Poorboy's EX-P
Meguire's Wax #26
Meguire's NXT Tech Wax 2.0

Sorry about not making my question clear.

Dubbin1
09-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Wash and dry it off before spots etch into the paint. I wouldn't go as far as waxing every week.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
09-24-2010, 04:13 AM
I agree, wash and dry in that case...a no rinse like ONR is perfect for those kinda situations. I was kinda 'eh' on the no rinse idea....but I had a sample of some and tried it...it didnt sudds up like i was use to, but it was SUPER slick....went over the paint real nice, just dry it off a little with a MF and you're DONE....feels kinda wierd not having a hose out...but then when you're finished its like WOW that was fast...but if the car is too dirty...do a full wash. If you have a spray wax, use it after the wash and it will help some. The sooner you do some kidna wash after the rain...the better...but it looks like you're using good wax so if you can't do it, dont kill yourself over it.

Personally I like to wash the car once a week...as i said before it rained the day after I washed it and i just outright havent had time the last couple days to re-wash it (thou i will tomorrow hehe) but i'm not sweatin over it....you have good protection on it...so it'll be as long as you dont let a whole lot of rain,dirt etc build up on it and eat thru it.

Nira
09-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Almost impossible to keep rain, dirty, etc build up on it ]: It rains almost everyday sometimes even twice. Thats why I wax once or twice every two weeks or so. The wax just gets eaten with all the heat and moisture going back and forth. I don't have time on the weekdays to wash it either. :(

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/Niwaah/Cars/upload2.jpg