PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Lense Correction Problem

clearview
09-21-2010, 03:43 PM
My mom has a Chrysler Sebring with badly oxidized headlights. I wet sanded the outside and brought the clarity back pretty good but when looking closer the the problem extends to the inside! It still looks a little yellow or cloudy. How do you get to the inside or what do you use to clean it? The only way in is thought the hole for the light. I'm thinking its as good as it gets but when you post a question on AG chances are someone has come across it before.

memphisraines26
09-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Yeh our 96 civic is the same way. I've wetsanded, compound, and waxed. outside looks clear but inside is cloudy. i'm sure the inside plastic takes a beating by the sun as well.

I've never done it but baking at a low temp for a short period will soften the glue on the housing to separate to get to the inside to paint etc.

but as long as the lense is clear to not disrupt the light pattern, I dont think it's necessary to take it apart. I'm not anyways.

g35_coupe
09-23-2010, 02:25 PM
I've seen a few lenses where the insides are slightly cloudy but it is actually water stains (near the edges of the residue you can see the dried circles). Either the seal has been leaking around the lens cover or water has gotten in through the bulb seal. I have yet to find actual UV damage on the inside. What grit are you using? I've tried sanding damage with 400 grit and it left a slight haze when compared to the finish that 220 grit leaves. If you have a chance, try some 220 and work your way up with at least 3 other grades. If it is damage on the inside, it would be pretty labor intensive to correct, you may not get all of it, and the damage will likely return after a few months. I would opt to find a used pair that you could refinish and then sell your old ones for cheap just to make a few bucks.

memphisraines26
09-23-2010, 02:42 PM
I started with 600-800 grit wetsanding, then 1000, 1500, and a final 2000 before compound and wax.

clearview
09-23-2010, 02:48 PM
I used 1000 and skipped to 2000, compounded and polished and the outside turned out fine. I know its weird how the inside is messed up to but its not the outside for sure. I think I'll just leave well enough alone. You have to accept when there's nothing more you can do I guess.....