PDA

View Full Version : surbuff pads and gumming up

Pages : [1] 2

bodavenport
09-21-2010, 12:05 PM
I am sure that it was mostly user error but when I was polishing using Surbuff pads last weekend they sure gummed up quickly, I was cleaning after every pass but I only got about a 1/3 of the car before I had to switch pads. I kept using what I thought was a lot less product than I used with foam pads but I guess it ws still to much? Anyone else deal with this? I thought they worked fantastic though

CEE DOG
09-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Did you use less pressure then with foam pads? I haven't used mine yet but I know you don't want to really press on them like you do with foam pads.

Mike Phillips
09-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Because the fibers are very short there's not a lot of place for "spent product" and "removed paint" to go except to build-up on the face of the pad...

Clean often...

:)

HighEndDetail
09-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Did you use less pressure then with foam pads?

Clean often...

:)

:iagree:
I find they work very well. With less pressure, and definitely cleaning it after each panel.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Using a pad conditioning brush after each section works good. Only use the weight of the polisher. If you use too much pressure, they will have less cut and marr the paint more than necessary. You don't want the micro-fingers to bend, you want them to be upright as possible.

bodavenport
09-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Can sur-buff pads cut down polishing times? Say a sur buff pad and go across the panel 3 times vs. a orange pad and go across 5 times? Using a smat product obviously. Any one tried this?

CEE DOG
09-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Can sur-buff pads cut down polishing times? Say a sur buff pad and go across the panel 3 times vs. a orange pad and go across 5 times? Using a smat product obviously. Any one tried this?

From what I've read the sur-buff cuts much faster.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-22-2010, 10:35 AM
From what I've read the sur-buff cuts much faster.
I've used them and they do, but use very little pressure, if any at all.

RaskyR1
09-22-2010, 11:42 AM
I am sure that it was mostly user error but when I was polishing using Surbuff pads last weekend they sure gummed up quickly, I was cleaning after every pass but I only got about a 1/3 of the car before I had to switch pads. I kept using what I thought was a lot less product than I used with foam pads but I guess it ws still to much? Anyone else deal with this? I thought they worked fantastic though

What polisher were you using and what speed were you on?

Compressed air seems to clean them the best but even then you will likely use 3 or more pads on an averaged sized car. I think I used 5 pads when I did a CTS-V a few weeks ago (heavily marred).

WRAPT C5Z06
09-22-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm still trying to figure out these pads as well. They do cut very well, though. :props:

bodavenport
09-22-2010, 06:31 PM
I have a griots v2 and was on speed 5 on a 2000 vette. Cut very well but I only had two so I would work until I could not any more and then clean them in dawn spin them let em dry overnight and go again. Took 3 days on the vette because of it I am ordering 4 more when I clean my super crew cab F 150 (black of course)

WRAPT C5Z06
09-22-2010, 06:43 PM
I have a griots v2 and was on speed 5 on a 2000 vette. Cut very well but I only had two so I would work until I could not any more and then clean them in dawn spin them let em dry overnight and go again. Took 3 days on the vette because of it I am ordering 4 more when I clean my super crew cab F 150 (black of course)
Use speed 6.

jlb85
09-22-2010, 08:46 PM
It gets easier and you guys will for sure start using fewer pads as you guys get the trick to these pads.

Keep a still brush handy and clean them after each cycle of the KBM. Using the KBM helps a great amount to keeping them clean. Use very little product, about the size of a dime divided into 3 dots around the periphery, and very little water mist.

Regarding pressure, if you look at the pad while polishing you can tell it compresses easily. Any more pressure than just the machine weight is not really doing much to help since the foam backing on the Surbuf is so soft.

Also, I find that the Griots works better at speed 5 than at speed 6 for anything with M105. Speed 6 makes the polish flash too fast. Further, speed 5 makes the pad last longer ;)

Rsurfer
09-22-2010, 11:52 PM
It gets easier and you guys will for sure start using fewer pads as you guys get the trick to these pads.

Keep a still brush handy and clean them after each cycle of the KBM. Using the KBM helps a great amount to keeping them clean. Use very little product, about the size of a dime divided into 3 dots around the periphery, and very little water mist.

Regarding pressure, if you look at the pad while polishing you can tell it compresses easily. Any more pressure than just the machine weight is not really doing much to help since the foam backing on the Surbuf is so soft.

Also, I find that the Griots works better at speed 5 than at speed 6 for anything with M105. Speed 6 makes the polish flash too fast. Further, speed 5 makes the pad last longer ;)
Are you saying that with the KBM on a surbuff pad, you don't prime the whole pad like with foam? And you don't use pressure like with foam?Feed back please

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Are you saying that with the KBM on a surbuff pad, you don't prime the whole pad like with foam? And you don't use pressure like with foam?Feed back please

Hey dad, prime the pad and no pressure is needed. You will smush the little fibers and they can not do their job, so pressure. I have been using these pads for a long time polish our woodworking since these pads were first made for woodworking. Also check your local wood working store dad, they probably sell them there so it will be easier for you to acquire them.