PDA

View Full Version : Ultima Tire & Trim Guard question

tvg
09-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Does Ultima Tire & Trim Guard dry to the touch?
Reason I asked is that I applied it to the rubber door seals and hard black trim but it never did dry to the touch. Even after buffing the trim.

Dubbin1
09-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Reason I asked is that I applied it to the rubber door seals and hard black trim but it never did dry to the touch. Even after buffing the trim.

I think you answered your own question ;)

Rsurfer
09-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Depending on the temp and humidity it will dry in a day. I use a foam brush and 8 hrs. later use a old mf towel wrapped around my finger with a drop of UTTG and smooth it out. I just re-did my trim after 5 months with no garage.

JSFM35x
09-21-2010, 05:43 AM

On my tires, I apply it with a dense foam applicator (came with product) and leave it. It does not sling and looks great 2 coats lasts weeks even with rain. make sure you tires are clean and DRY when you apply. I use a leaf blower to dry my car and wheels and tires.

On the trim I apply left is sit a while and buff of with a clean MF to avoid transfer and the "wet" feeling.

CEE DOG
09-21-2010, 06:33 AM

You probably made the same mistake I did. With UT&TG on seals I also applied it to thick. Even after 48 hours if I touched it I could see my fingerprint. I ended up wiping it off about a week later and it dried and looks really great now. On tires and trim I had no issues.

My theory is: Because seals are very small and thin it is easy to apply it too thick since you can't spread it around. If there are any larger areas of trim on the vehicle maybe do one of those first with one spritz and then do the seals with whats left on the applicator.

zliegen
09-21-2010, 08:31 AM
My theory is: Because seals are very small and thin it is easy to apply it too thick since you can't spread it around. If there are any larger areas of trim on the vehicle maybe do one of those first with one spritz and then do the seals with whats left on the applicator.

Thats a good theory and I think it does probably have something to do with it, I think that mainly its because the seals main purpose is to keep things out, so they are very non-porous and smoothed over. It does not allow any of the product to enter it, so unless you're very careful applying the product (which is hard because like you say--its very small and thin) it will pool up on the surface and take a long time to cure.

CEE DOG
09-21-2010, 09:14 AM
I think that mainly its because the seals main purpose is to keep things out, so they are very non-porous and smoothed over. It does not allow any of the product to enter it, so unless you're very careful applying the product (which is hard because like you say--its very small and thin) it will pool up on the surface and take a long time to cure.

:iagree:

tvg
09-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the replies. So it's not just me, I feel better. After the car was washed it is all good and look amazing. I wanted to do the engine with UTTGP, but some of the hoses I can only reach with a brush and will be too hard to buff/wipe off. Might have to stick with 303 or Opti-bond for those.

GaryD
09-21-2010, 08:41 PM
I have some but not tried it yet. I have tried the Meg ultimate protectant, it does pretty good. I have found that getting a microfiber damp, not wet that the Meg protectant goes on better and smoother. It may take away from it but seems to last a good while. I'm doing this on my own vehicle, and the shine seems to still be there after a month.

CEE DOG
09-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Depending on the temp and humidity it will dry in a day. I use a foam brush and 8 hrs. later use a old mf towel wrapped around my finger with a drop of UTTG and smooth it out. I just re-did my trim after 5 months with no garage.

Sounds like a good system. I'll have to do that on the seals from now on.

Thats some serious protection! It's great stuff!