PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Marks and Scratches in Black Paint Help!

ryanbabz71
09-20-2010, 08:01 PM
My dad has a 2009 GMC Canyon and this weekend I worked on polishing/waxing. Well I must say the paint looks like craps, most likely how they dry it (cotton towels). Lots of swirls and scratches. It drove/is driving me nuts. I could get them to lighten but not fully go away. Attached are some before and after pics. Sorry about the quality it rained all day and I was stuck in the garage :(

Also here is what I used

Cyclo Polisher
Yellow Pad w/ Poor Boys SSR1 and SSR2 (old style version, pink and purple)

Blue Pad w/ DP Policoat

Hand Wax w/ nattys red paste wax

I must say the paint came out with a very nice gloss just lots of scratches that wouldnt be taken out.

I ordered some wolfgang total scratch remover and some BOGO cobra towels for them to use when drying so they can dump their cotton towels :nomore:

What are some other suggestions?

Overall my dad was thrilled but to me it still didnt look all that good. I guess all that matters is he was happy and there is some protection for winter.

longdx
09-20-2010, 08:13 PM
GM clearcoats are notoriously hard. It will require trying to find the right balance between pads and polishes. You might try Meg's 105/205 twins

tkc
09-20-2010, 08:45 PM
I agree, I would try some megs 105, with a LC yellow pad, thta should do it..

ryanbabz71
09-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys I will have to try this.

Harleyguy
09-20-2010, 08:55 PM
What size area are you working with?? Start off doing a 2x2 area first also do a test spot use your test spot untill you get your pad/polish dialed in.I also agree you should step up to the 105/205 combo.Also start with the least aggresive pad.

Buckskincolt
09-20-2010, 09:26 PM
I agree, I would try some megs 105, with a LC yellow pad, thta should do it..

I've had good success with WG TSR and LC Hydro-Tech Cyan pads on Tahoe's and Yukon's. The 105/Yellow is substantially more aggressive than my combo. I'm thinking that combo might be a bit aggressive to jump to.:dunno:

Dubbin1
09-20-2010, 10:56 PM
I've had good success with WG TSR and LC Hydro-Tech Cyan pads on Tahoe's and Yukon's. The 105/Yellow is substantially more aggressive than my combo. I'm thinking that combo might be a bit aggressive to jump to.:dunno:

I agree, that's a pretty harsh combo.