PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Engine Kote

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dr Oldz
09-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Looks like they dont make Engine Kote anymore and I just ran out:cry: Any Suggestions for a replacement product????

Shade Tree
09-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Actually, most "dressings" are going to work well. Be careful with using any products containing petroleum though!

There's no reason to drop any real change on something specifically for engine dress. Most people look at the engine bay right after the detail & only want to see it clean. Belt lubricant actually works really well & doesn't attract dust as most other dressings do.

Dr Oldz
09-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Engine Kote dries and isnt sticky or tacky like other dressings tho! Thats Y I liked it so much!

Shade Tree
09-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Engine Kote dries and isnt sticky or tacky like other dressings tho! Thats Y I liked it so much!

I hear ya. I guess I'm old school in that I still take the time to wipe the components down by hand. :props:

Setec Astronomy
09-20-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm not trying to say you're old, Dr. Oldz (because that would be the pot calling the kettle black!), but I got into these detailing forums in 2004 and they were talking then about what people could use for an Engine Kote replacement, so I would say it hasn't been made since 2002 or 2003 (I'm sure Mike Phillips knows exactly).

I'm sure that Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus would work, but the Sonus Trim & Motor Kote was, IIRC, supposed to be a lot like the Engine Kote. Also IIRC some people were using acrylic floor wax...I think it was Mop & Glo.

Shade Tree
09-20-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm not trying to say you're old, Dr. Oldz (because that would be the pot calling the kettle black!), but I got into these detailing forums in 2004 and they were talking then about what people could use for an Engine Kote replacement, so I would say it hasn't been made since 2002 or 2003 (I'm sure Mike Phillips knows exactly).

I'm sure that Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus would work, but the Sonus Trim & Motor Kote was, IIRC, supposed to be a lot like the Engine Kote. Also IIRC some people were using acrylic floor wax...I think it was Mop & Glo.

Imagine what PITA that stuff would be to remove ......... :awman:

TLMitchell
09-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Looks like they dont make Engine Kote anymore and I just ran out:cry: Any Suggestions for a replacement product????

CD2 Engine Detailer, available at Auto Zone. Most employees don't even know they have it, usually stashed in with engine degreasers in a tall silver can. Dries glossy or you can wipe off the residue for a nice matte finish. I use it on hoses, plastic, firewall, inner fenders, etc. Makes future wipe-offs quick n easy.

CD2 Engine Detailer (http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,2,2,1)

TL

Dr Oldz
09-20-2010, 07:48 PM

Bought 4 gallons of Engine Kote prolly back in 2000. Parts store was going out of business and I got 4 gallons for 10 bucks or somethin dirt cheap. I couldnt pass it up at the time!!! Funny u mention Mop and Glo.....I used to use that on tonneau covers cuz it wouldn't run down box sides after it rained....might be worth sticking in a spray bottle and giving it a try!! I'll also check into your other suggestions! Thank You!!

Shade Tree
09-20-2010, 07:48 PM
CD2 Engine Detailer, available at Auto Zone. Most employees don't even know they have it, usually stashed in with engine degreasers in a tall silver can. Dries glossy or you can wipe off the residue for a nice matte finish. I use it on hoses, plastic, firewall, inner fenders, etc. Makes future wipe-offs quick n easy.

TL

That stuff wears off too fast to even be considered ......

Dr Oldz
09-20-2010, 07:50 PM

TL

Nice!!!! Thank You!!!

Dr Oldz
09-20-2010, 07:55 PM
that stuff wears off too fast to even be considered ......

uuuggggghhhhhhh!!

C. Charles Hahn
09-20-2010, 08:27 PM

Say what? I haven't experienced that.... it works great!

builthatch
09-20-2010, 08:32 PM
hyper dressing? i love that stuff at 4:1. just spray when the engine is cool and let it soak in.

TLMitchell
09-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Re: CD2...

Ya don't say. Did my DD and a few others I spruce up from time to time over a year ago. Last thing I do after wiping out the door jambs, trunk etc is around and under the hood. Give a wipe with a damp MF after every wash and everything under there is still nice and black n shiney. Appears to have excellent longevity IME. Your mileage may vary...

TL

Rsurfer
09-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Say what? I haven't experienced that.... it works great!
:iagree:When the rumor was that it was being discountinued, went out and got 6 cans. Awesome product for engine bays.:xyxthumbs: