PDA

View Full Version : Here's a tip... don't lift the pad off the paint till you've turned the polisher off and the spinning pad has slowed down...

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Phillips
09-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Here's a tip... don't lift the pad off the paint till you've turned the polisher off and the spinning pad has slowed down... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/28940-here-s-tip-don-t-lift-pad-off-paint-till-you-ve-turned-polisher-off-spinning-pad-has-slowed-down.html)

Whoops!

Here's what happens when you lift a polisher off the paint before allowing the pad to slow down and stop spinning...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/935/Sept18Class023.jpg

This happened at out Detailing 101 Class...

Pictures & Comments from September 18th, 2010 Saturday Detailing 101 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-saturday-detailing-101/28890-pictures-comments-september-18th-2010-saturday-detailing-101-a.html)

:D

Y2KSVT
09-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Wow! I found myself lifting my PCXP early with my first encounter with it last weekend, but thankfully I was using M105 and it was breaking down fast enough that nothing could possibly sling off when I lifted.

Mark

JonMiles
09-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Wow! I found myself lifting my PCXP early with my first encounter with it last weekend, but thankfully I was using M105 and it was breaking down fast enough that nothing could possibly sling off when I lifted.

Mark

M105 breaking down?

Y2KSVT
09-20-2010, 12:43 PM
M105 breaking down?

Sarcasm?

But seriously, after 2-3 section passes, there was no polish left and a bit of dust.

Mark

Bert31
09-20-2010, 12:58 PM
I think his question is due to the fact that M105 is a non-diminishing abrasive and theoretically does not break down. My guess is that you meant the M105 had finished correcting the area, flashed and was starting to dust and was ready to remove.

eversio
09-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Sarcasm?

But seriously, after 2-3 section passes, there was no polish left and a bit of dust.

Mark
Huh I thought M105/205 used non-diminishing abrasives.

Anyways, even with something like Ultimate Compound I noticed a bit of sling off when I would raise my rotary off a bit early. Nothing like that pic though, good demonstrative image to burn this technique in! :dblthumb2:

Fly bye
09-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Huh I thought M105/205 used non-diminishing abrasives.

That is correct grasshopper.

The abrassives in 105 do not break down, but the carriers that are present in the formula will eventually dry up, which is why nothing flew off of Y2KSVT's pad.

Mike Phillips
09-20-2010, 01:28 PM
And back on topic...

Remember to allow the spinning of your pad to slow down before lifting the pad off the surface...

eversio
09-20-2010, 01:31 PM
That is correct grasshopper.

The abrassives in 105 do not break down, but the carriers that are present in the formula will eventually dry up, which is why nothing flew off of Y2KSVT's pad.

Thanks for clearing that up, haven't actually had the pleasure of using the 105/205 combo yet.

Y2KSVT
09-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Sorry, I'm still learning the terminology. Instead of breaking down, I should have said disappeared, or turned to dust. It's not like the Wolf Gang Twins that you see Mike Phillips using in one of his videos where it still looks wet after 6 section passes.

Anyway, back on topic. Don't lift your pad before turning off the machine!

Mark

JonMiles
09-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Sorry to sound sarcastic on my question, i was just perplexed because i had never heard of non-diminishing abrasives breaking down further than they were from the start. Owell it started a good conversation.

Executive Detail
09-20-2010, 02:52 PM
And back on topic...

Remember to allow the spinning of your pad to slow down before lifting the pad off the surface...

I know when I first started detailing, it took a time or two of removing splatter to remember not to lift the pad right away.

Kinda like launching a boat without the plug...usually after the first time, you learn.

Mike Phillips
09-20-2010, 03:27 PM
I know when I first started detailing, it took a time or two of removing splatter to remember not to lift the pad right away.

Kinda like launching a boat without the plug...usually after the first time, you learn.

That's a great analogy and "Yes" I've launched a boat without inserting the drain plug before, it was my Dad's Hydro-Swift when I was about 22... kept wondering where are the water was coming from? You really only want to make that mistake once...

:laughing:

sohail99
09-20-2010, 03:45 PM
I usually cover up the parts I'm not working on!

Like, if I'm working on the hood, I put the car cover in such a way that only the part I'm working on is exposed!(so generally the windshield is saved from 'accidental' splatter! lol)

btw rotary splatter with a wool pad, excessive product and a newbie operator is horrible!!! :eek: (I've actually seen that happening in car body shops here!)

SeaJay's
09-20-2010, 04:48 PM
I made this mistake last weekend. I added a little too much product and lifted before it had stopped spinning. Spent the next hour cleaning up white dots! As Mike has said before it only takes once and you won't do it again! lol