PDA

View Full Version : Surf City Products any good ?

Pages : [1] 2

cadd
09-20-2010, 06:46 AM
I came across a product callled Surf City, at one of my local Auto stores. Has anyone here had any experience with the product and would you recommend it. ?

Devo242
09-20-2010, 07:48 AM
SCG was offered by AG up until a year or two ago, about the same time the lineup became available at auto parts chains. They're good products that do what they say, and its nice to be able to run down to the local parts store to pick something up should you get in a pinch should you not have one of your 'go-to' products handy.

I use their Grime Destroyer and Beyond Black on a regular basis. The GD is safe and effective for removing bug splatter and I think has an edge over traditional APC since it has a gel like consistency that allows the product to stick on vertical surfaces and provides lubricity when wiping off. The BB is a nice dressing if you prefer a matte, 'like new' finish on your tires, but look elsewhere if you prefer gloss or semi-gloss appearance.

detaildave
09-20-2010, 08:07 AM
There glass cleaner "Clearly Better" is Excellent!!!

daveinsweethome
09-20-2010, 08:40 AM
love their beyond black tire dressing. perfect finish for my tastes and easy to apply

cadd
09-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Sounds good, thanks for the input. Good to know they are reputable. I will have to them a try. This what I like about AG...you always can get good honest opinions on different products.

rwright
09-20-2010, 10:15 AM
The BB is a nice dressing if you prefer a matte, 'like new' finish on your tires, but look elsewhere if you prefer gloss or semi-gloss appearance.

I must be the only person that ends up with a glossy finish using Beyond Black. I have read on more than one occasion the exact statement above. Spray onto an applicator pad, foam or microfiber, then swipe the tire. Let it dry and don't buff it or wipe it and it should be glossy, not super glossy but not matte.

Devo242
09-20-2010, 10:58 AM
I must be the only person that ends up with a glossy finish using Beyond Black. I have read on more than one occasion the exact statement above. Spray onto an applicator pad, foam or microfiber, then swipe the tire. Let it dry and don't buff it or wipe it and it should be glossy, not super glossy but not matte.

Interesting, do you clean off any previous applications of dressing (Beyond Black included) before applying? I always use ARO and allow to dwell on the tire for a few minutes before scrubbing so I'm starting with a clean slate each time I apply.

On the topic of SCG I completely forgot I had a bottle of their Barrier Reef Carnuba on the shelf. This is my favorite liquid carnuba (when I can remember I have it) and easily competes with other standards of liquid beauty wax including liquid Souveran.

rwright
09-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Interesting, do you clean off any previous applications of dressing (Beyond Black included) before applying? I always use ARO and allow to dwell on the tire for a few minutes before scrubbing so I'm starting with a clean slate each time I apply.

On the topic of SCG I completely forgot I had a bottle of their Barrier Reef Carnuba on the shelf. This is my favorite liquid carnuba (when I can remember I have it) and easily competes with other standards of liquid beauty wax including liquid Souveran.

I always start with a clean slate before using any tire dressing. I have been looking at their Barrier Reef but I really don't need another wax. I don't understand the statement about AG dropping SCG because it's available at auto parts stores, so is Mothers, Meguiar's, 303, and Duragloss.

Devo242
09-20-2010, 12:20 PM
I always start with a clean slate before using any tire dressing. I have been looking at their Barrier Reef but I really don't need another wax. I don't understand the statement about AG dropping SCG because it's available at auto parts stores, so is Mothers, Meguiar's, 303, and Duragloss.

Was curious about why your results with the Beyond Black result in higher sheen finish and a previous coating of dressing was just speculation.

I never said AG dropped the lineup it because it became available at parts stores, I wanted to mention it to the OP since he had asked if the SCG products were any good. Was only meant to provide context that SCG is expanding from the enthusiast market approach and was now attempting to capture some retail market sales.

Comment about the Barrier Reef was an afterthought for OP, though if you are ever in the market for another wax I recommend it.

:xyxthumbs:

rwright
09-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Was curious about why your results with the Beyond Black result in higher sheen finish and a previous coating of dressing was just speculation.

I haven't figured it out either! I clean my tires with Meg's APC+ or Zep citrus both @ 4:1, or for stubborn dressings like DP Tire Gel I will use Bleche White. That way it's just clean rubber to dressing. :xyxthumbs:

I never said AG dropped the lineup it because it became available at parts stores, I wanted to mention it to the OP since he had asked if the SCG products were any good. Was only meant to provide context that SCG is expanding from the enthusiast market approach and was now attempting to capture some retail market sales.

Comment about the Barrier Reef was an afterthought for OP, though if you are ever in the market for another wax I recommend it.

:xyxthumbs:

It was just a blanket statement, don't read into it too much. I have read on this forum a few times that AG dropped SCG once they started expanding into the retail market, which I really don't understand that statement because Mothers and Meguiar's are in the retail market too. No harm intended my friend. :)

Devo242
09-20-2010, 12:50 PM
It was just a blanket statement, don't read into it too much. I have read on this forum a few times that AG dropped SCG once they started expanding into the retail market, which I really don't understand that statement because Mothers and Meguiar's are in the retail market too. No harm intended my friend. :)

No worries, none taken. :)

kkreit01
09-20-2010, 01:40 PM
I love Dash Away, and this is coming off of 303. Dash Away smells much better, cleans much better, and leaves a natural, flat/matte finish.

ScottB
09-20-2010, 02:54 PM

this blue colored protectant indeed was more than matte. Not high gloss either, but certainly more matte than say 303 Protectant.

Bunky
09-20-2010, 04:34 PM
I don't understand the statement about AG dropping SCG because it's available at auto parts stores, so is Mothers, Meguiar's, 303, and Duragloss.

They dropped it because it did not move enough compared to other products they carry or wanted to carry.

oldmodman
09-20-2010, 06:08 PM
I love the grim destroyer for cleaning wheel wells and under the rocker panels.
Plus I happened to walk into Pep Boys when they were having a 20% off sale and the products had already been marked down. It was almost half off. Now I wish I had just cleaned them out and grabbed everything. Just goes to show you that you really can't be TOO GREEDY!