PDA

View Full Version : Glass polish mishap..

STi05'
09-20-2010, 01:35 AM
So today I went to polish the glass on my truck as it had some sort of film build up that was making it horrible to see in the rain (Not good for Seattle)

Anyways, I started off with my Porter Cable DA and a felt glass polish pad. I used Griots Glass Polish. Did about 1/3 of the windshield wiped it all off and to my horror found lots of little pigtail scratches all over.. :mad: I thought maybe I didnt let the polish break down enough.. so I go at it again a bit slower.. MORE PIGTAILS!! Im not feeling very good at this point..

So I have some Griots Fine Glass Polish. I should have started here, but still no glass polish should do that. So I went at it with the Fine Glass Polish and managed to get out all of the scratches in a small section after lots of polishing. Many more hours to go before its perfect again.

Has anyone used the Glass Polish before and had this happen?

rohnramirez
09-20-2010, 01:57 AM
Since there was a sale on GG products, i was considering buying some of their glass pads and polishes. Anyway, did you check the felt pad if it had caught a particle that could have caused the pigtails? That would be my best bet. Glass is extremely hard and isn't really all that reactive even to a wool or the most aggressive foam cutting pad on a rotary, that's why i do not feel the polish could have instilled the pigtails. Just a thought sir. :)

rakkvet
09-20-2010, 02:23 AM
I used mine about 2 weeks ago and I had amazing results. No pigtails, nothing. I would bet there was something on your bad or the glass that made that happen.

dougaross
09-20-2010, 06:49 AM
So today I went to polish the glass on my truck as it had some sort of film build up that was making it horrible to see in the rain (Not good for Seattle)

Anyways, I started off with my Porter Cable DA and a felt glass polish pad. I used Griots Glass Polish. Did about 1/3 of the windshield wiped it all off and to my horror found lots of little pigtail scratches all over.. :mad: I thought maybe I didnt let the polish break down enough.. so I go at it again a bit slower.. MORE PIGTAILS!! Im not feeling very good at this point..

So I have some Griots Fine Glass Polish. I should have started here, but still no glass polish should do that. So I went at it with the Fine Glass Polish and managed to get out all of the scratches in a small section after lots of polishing. Many more hours to go before its perfect again.

Has anyone used the Glass Polish before and had this happen?

Did you clay the glass before polishing?

STi05'
09-20-2010, 10:34 PM
I did clay first. I think I am going to get some fresh discs and try again with the more aggressive glass polish so this won't take me so long.

2011wahoo
09-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Is your windshield made out of plastic or something. There is absolutely no polish or pad combination that can instill scratches in a windshield unless you mix rock chips in with your polish.

3Guy
09-21-2010, 07:40 AM
I've used GG glass polish many time and never had this problem.

STi05'
09-24-2010, 09:53 PM
I got some new pads and new polish just to be sure. Hopefully I can try that out this weekend

zkeeper
09-27-2010, 09:56 PM
I concur with others on the reasons for the pigtails...use GG glass polish a lot, on several items and never had this once. Even used it on a VERY badly smoked [read etched by heat] glass gas fireplace screen. They wished to replace it at the tune of 125$...and while he cleaned the fireplace, I brought in the DA and the GG polish with the white pads. and took all phases of smoked gas etching off and out of gladd. The tech was amazed actually, and said they had nothing in their shop that would do that. BUT no pigtails...good luck on all effort there. But I would look for anything that might possibly have gotten onto the pad without being noted. It can happen and causes havoc.