PDA

View Full Version : Bonnets better?

Ztandem
09-19-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm considering getting the microfiber bonnets to use with my PC DA for removing wax. It has to be a little easier and quicker than wiping it off with a microfiber towel! Right? And the shine is probably a little brighter too? Any negatives?

rohnramirez
09-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Uhmmm..let me put it this way, i ordered the blue indigo 2-pack, i used it only once since buying it early this year.

Maybe reading this will help - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/19956-final-wipe.html - i know this is after removing the wax; it's just that i feel using a machine to wipe off dried and hazed wax may affect the amount/coat of wax you intend to leave on your paint. :)

BUT, if upon trying it and works for you and your needs are satisfied, there is absolutely no harm in using it.

Fly bye
09-20-2010, 03:49 AM
I don't use a PC/bonnet for removing wax, but I may use a PC/bonnet for a final wipe. I may even spray the bonnet with a little bit of instant detailer/distilled water mix to reduce friction. If the speed of the machine is set low, and very little downward pressure is used, it won't remove the protective layer of wax that was just layed down.

Ultimately, my final, final, final wipe will be with a fresh/clean micro fiber by hand.

Rsurfer
09-20-2010, 04:05 AM
Most waxes these days are so easy to remove, there's no need for a machine. You would have to do the nooks and crannies by hand anyway. I have not noticed more gloss by machine vrs had removal.

A4 1.8tqm
09-20-2010, 08:12 AM
I would just skip the whole bonnet idea, for the reasons stated above, there is just no need. I have never used the bonnets that I got with one of my very first orders. Maybe grab some of the new black MF towels instead?

ROMEO
09-20-2010, 10:07 AM
I got the bonnet kit with the intention of using it to remove waxes, sealers, and glazes, but they are very easy to remove by hand.

How ever, there was one time I let the p21s 100% dry for too long and when I went to remove it, it was very, very hard, I put a bonnet on my flex and got it all off...

I think it is a good idea to have, you could also use them to try do a run over the whole car with some quick detailer after the wax has cured to try to give some extra shine...

Ztandem
09-20-2010, 10:54 PM
The Final Wipe and the replies are very helpful! Instead of the bonnets, I added a BOGO of cobra arctic polishing MF to a order that I've been putting together.
I was thinking that the bonnets could fill with wax or polish quickly and start scratching.
Thanks guys!

Rsurfer
09-20-2010, 11:31 PM
The Final Wipe and the replies are very helpful! Instead of the bonnets, I added a BOGO of cobra arctic polishing MF to a order that I've been putting together.
I was thinking that the bonnets could fill with wax or polish quickly and start scratching.
Thanks guys!
The bonnets will load up, but you can turn it inside out and have a clean bonnet. Even if your bonnet loads up there are no abrassives in wax so no marring possible unless you pick up some grit that was left on the paint.:buffing:

Emm
09-21-2010, 04:56 AM
I always use a bonnet with my PC and it works great. Very quick and sometimes I use a bonnet to apply paste wax, which works well also. Just make sure you wet the bonnet first. You get very uniform coverage that way.