How To: Wash Your Vehicle In Winter Months

Items Needed:
• 2 Five Gallon Buckets with Grit Guards
• Cobra Microfiber Mitt
• Autogeek Chemical Resistant Pressure Sprayer
• Optima No Rinse Wash and Shine or DP Rinse less Wash and Gloss
• Cobra Waffle Weave Microfiber Towels

Steps:
• Add 2.5oz of DP Rinse less Wash and Gloss or Optima No Rinse Wash and Shine to the Autogeek Chemical Resistant Pressure Sprayer and add water till it is completely filled.
• Now completely spray the vehicle down with this mixture to loosen all the salt, dirt, and grim.
• While the vehicle is soaking in this mixture Add 4-5 gallons of water into your 2 bucket. In one of the buckets add 3oz of DP Rinse less Wash and Gloss or Optima No Rinse Wash and Shine (One of the buckets is your wash bucket and the other is your rinse bucket)
• Now dip your Cobra Microfiber Mitt into the wash bucket and wash your vehicle from top to bottom with little pressure (let the wash solution do the work).
• After your have washed one section of the vehicle, now take the Cobra Microfiber Mitt and thoroughly rinse it in the rinse bucket.
• After you have fully washed one section of the vehicle dry it with your Cobra Waffle Microfiber Towel.

Note: Some section might take more than wash application to remove all salt, dirt, and grim. Also After you have washed all the paint you can use the same solution to wash your wheels and tires. Also it would be best to wash the vehicle inside a garage.

Flash Gordon
09-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Nice write-up Shawn. Thanks for sharing :thankyousign:

sullysdetailing
09-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Thank you

Jeff120
09-19-2010, 03:37 PM
LOL, your in FL, I didnt think this was a problem for you folks? You get a lot of snow in south Florida!?

sullysdetailing
09-19-2010, 04:33 PM
LOL, your in FL, I didnt think this was a problem for you folks? You get a lot of snow in south Florida!?

I lived in Canada/Boston for a year. I made the right up for the people that live up North

IID
09-19-2010, 04:51 PM
I lived in Canada/Boston for a year. I made the right up for the people that live up North

Thank You for sharing Shawn.
I will definetly try this process as I live in Wisconsin .
The winter last 4-6 month's:awman:

TheGLL
09-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Good write-up Shawn.
Winter is coming...I hate winter! :(

novaman
09-19-2010, 07:19 PM
I lived in Canada/Boston for a year. I made the right up for the people that live up NorthWhere in Canada did you live Sully?

novaman

toxygene
09-19-2010, 07:39 PM
This is basically how I have been washing my cars ever since finding Autogeek a couple months ago. It has worked great this summer when the weather has been nice.

Now I am trying to imagine standing outside in several inches of snow doing this when it is 20-30 degrees outside. Supposing working inside of a garage is not option, would you just fill your buckets with hot water and dry quickly as you work to keep the water from freezing on the car? I know I have seen others post on here that they go to one of the high pressure car washes during the winter and spay off the dirt and salt. It seems like that might be more practical for me.

Another thing I'm thinking about is that my cars, being parked outside 24/7, will probably be covered in snow and ice before I even attempt to wash them. What's a good way to safely remove of all the snow without scratching the paint?

sullysdetailing
09-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Where in Canada did you live Sully?

novaman

Innisfil, ON about 10 minutes south of Barrie, ON and about and hour north of Toronto

sullysdetailing
09-19-2010, 08:00 PM
This is basically how I have been washing my cars ever since finding Autogeek a couple months ago. It has worked great this summer when the weather has been nice.

Now I am trying to imagine standing outside in several inches of snow doing this when it is 20-30 degrees outside. Supposing working inside of a garage is not option, would you just fill your buckets with hot water and dry quickly as you work to keep the water from freezing on the car? I know I have seen others post on here that they go to one of the high pressure car washes during the winter and spay off the dirt and salt. It seems like that might be more practical for me.

Another thing I'm thinking about is that my cars, being parked outside 24/7, will probably be covered in snow and ice before I even attempt to wash them. What's a good way to safely remove of all the snow without scratching the paint?

What I did when I was up there was I found a place that had High Pressure Hot Water. I used that to blast off all the salt/dirt/ice/snow and I brought 2 buckets filled it solution and lids and I washed the car there and dried quickly. If you wash one section at a time after you rinse the vehicle down you should be fine. It was about -30C almost all the time where I was living

toxygene
09-19-2010, 08:14 PM
What I did when I was up there was I found a place that had High Pressure Hot Water. I used that to blast off all the salt/dirt/ice/snow and I brought 2 buckets filled it solution and lids and I washed the car there and dried quickly. If you wash one section at a time after you rinse the vehicle down you should be fine. It was about -30C almost all the time where I was living

That's a great idea. Thanks for the advice! I will definitely be trying it out this winter. :dblthumb2:

Mirror Detailing
09-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Come on wheres the fun in this! I love washing in below freezing conditions, lets you reall appreciate your hands! lol

Have to say, I washed two vehicles last winter on a day it was snowing, before I even got the vehicles inside to dry them off the water had already frozen to the vehicle! :D

Mister B
09-20-2010, 07:38 AM
I just purchased some ONR for the first time last week with the anticipation of trying it out as a winter wash this coming winter. I was thinking of doing pretty much the same process except using a 32oz sprayer to spray the panels down prior to the wash since I do not have a pressure sprayer.

I hope the ONR solution will not freeze to the truck as I do one panel at a time in my unheated garage in below freezing temperatures.

I guess I will find out.

Make it shine!
09-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Nice write-up Shawn!
People who live up north fhould take note. Although the more people that know how to wash during the winter months the less phone calls I'll get to clean up the cars during the winter and early spring.