PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars G110v2 Pads

kelviiv
09-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Hello everyone

I just purchased Meguiars G110v2 upgrading from an original porter cable to this. I am wondering which pads you guys recommend? I used 4" LC pads on my porter cable and noticed they were very small and would wear out rather quickly.

Is there any adapters I should buy such as a smaller backing plate? What is the size of the original backing plate it comes with if anyone knows. thanks everyone

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
09-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Hello everyone

I just purchased Meguiars G110v2 upgrading from an original porter cable to this. I am wondering which pads you guys recommend? I used 4" LC pads on my porter cable and noticed they were very small and would wear out rather quickly.

Is there any adapters I should buy such as a smaller backing plate? What is the size of the original backing plate it comes with if anyone knows. thanks everyone

Hey whats up

First off if im not mistaken PC and Meg's backing plate thread size is the same, so your old backing plate should still work for your new DA.

Second of all, I did the same as you when i first got my PC, i went with only 4" pads...ive since upgraded to Megs 7" Softbuff 2.0 pads...I havent used the cutting pads yet but ive used the polishing and the finishing and liked both a lot. I was able to polish out a whole suburban with one pad...the self centering is AWESOME and it will self center with any 6" backing plate, so if you run across a good used one, Megs or LC or whatever you will be good to go, or just buy a new one :)

So what you'd need is a BIGGER backing plate...if you go with the 7" pads like me, you'll need the 6" backing plate...if you go with smaller pads...like 5.5" or 6" then you'll need a 5" backing plate.

Personally i like FLAT pads...not CCS, but thats just my personal taste.

Heres what i did this past week with the Megs 7" polishing and then waxed with finishing pad HUGE Suburban Turn Around -LOTS of pics - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45396&highlight=huge+suburban) the finishing pad made very quick work of a suburban...thou you will either need a 4" finishing pad for small areas..or just do those areas by hand.

Hope that helps out some

Shane731
09-20-2010, 12:23 AM
According to Mike Phillips, the 7" pads are just too big for the DA. They tend to just vibrate rather easily, rather than spin. The DA just doesn't have the power to spin big pads. I bought the G110v2, and when I did I bought the 7" pads as well. They're just too big and bulky, and they don't get into tighter areas as well as the 5.5 inch, which means you have to do a lot more spot buffing with the 4" pad. Just go with the Lake Country 5.5 inch pads, flat or CCS (I have the CCS - you can pick up a mix-and-match 6 pack for $35), whichever you prefer. Or get a couple of both and see which suits you better. You're just really going to get better correction and better control with smaller pads versus bigger pads.

C. Charles Hahn
09-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Shane, did you get a chance to play with those new "thin" LC Hydro-Tech pads while you were down at AG? Just curious to hear some feedback on how they perform before I pull the trigger and pick up a few to try.

Shane731
09-20-2010, 12:42 AM
Shane, did you get a chance to play with those new "thin" LC Hydro-Tech pads while you were down at AG? Just curious to hear some feedback on how they perform before I pull the trigger and pick up a few to try.

Yeah I did, I know I did in Saturday's class, maybe once in Sunday's class. They were really nice. The only thing was, I used them backwards. I used the orange pad first (polishing pad), followed by the blue pad (cutting pad), because the orange pad is the cutting pad in the CCS line, and I'm used to using CCS pads. I don't know why they switched them in the Hydro-Tech line. So it obviously didn't finish out right. But they worked really nice. I was going to throw some in my last order, but I just picked up another 6 pack of 5.5 inch CCS pads instead. I'll probably get some in the future.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-20-2010, 02:14 AM
According to Mike Phillips, the 7" pads are just too big for the DA.
Actually, a 7" SURBUF pad is the pad of choice(compared to smaller surbufs) when using a DA. This would be the only exception, though. :xyxthumbs:

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
09-20-2010, 03:49 PM
According to Mike Phillips, the 7" pads are just too big for the DA. They tend to just vibrate rather easily, rather than spin. The DA just doesn't have the power to spin big pads. I bought the G110v2, and when I did I bought the 7" pads as well. They're just too big and bulky, and they don't get into tighter areas as well as the 5.5 inch, which means you have to do a lot more spot buffing with the 4" pad. Just go with the Lake Country 5.5 inch pads, flat or CCS (I have the CCS - you can pick up a mix-and-match 6 pack for $35), whichever you prefer. Or get a couple of both and see which suits you better. You're just really going to get better correction and better control with smaller pads versus bigger pads.

Well I havent done but a couple of details with the 7" pads and was just speaking on what I personally have seen them do....and I'm happy so far with the results, even with using them on the DA. It is true that they are a little more difficult to fit into certain areas, but the 2.0 pads have a nice little 'give' to them to help fit into curved/tight areas which I liked.

I will say I wouldn't mind some 5.5" LC flats but I'm happy with my 7" Megs for now, when money permits i'll probably grab a flex...use the 7" pads with it and then grab some 5.5" ones for the PC.

Did you check the thread I linked to...that correction was done with those pads with a single pass...and the vibration wasnt too bad for me personally, ive got pretty big/strong hands thou so I'm sure that has to be taken into consideration as well.

Just my .02c

Type[R]+
09-25-2010, 02:06 PM
My Meg's G220v2 (same as your G110v2) came with the 5" backing plate standard.

I got 6.5" pads and 5.5" pads. My 6.5" pads are collecting dust now, ever since I tried a 5.5" pad on it.

truckbutt
10-14-2010, 07:45 AM
Meguiars recommends using the Soft Buff 2.0 pads for the G110v2 and only the polishing and finishing ones. The cutting ones are prone to hazing on a DA. The 2.0 pads only come in 7". I've also used the original Soft Buff 6.5" polishing and finishing pads without any problems. The G110v2 comes with a W68DA 5 3/4" backing plate in the package. I also ordered the Meguiars 3" S3BP backing plate to use with 4" pads in tight places.