PDA

View Full Version : First Use Daytona Speed Master

Pages : [1] 2

pfix
09-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Yesterday evening I finally had a chance to use my new Daytona Speedmaster wheel brush. My wheels had about 1 week of dirt and grime on them so rinsed the wheels and applied some PB Wheel cleaner and went to work with my brush. I will give the brush an "A" for cleaning ability. The brush accessed all of the tight recesses and I was able to really get in there and scrub the wheel and the caliper.

I did find the handle to be too small and slippery when wet for my taste. You have a great big long brush and a tiny small diameter handle. There is some sling from the brush as I expected but I think that goes along with the job at hand.

All in all, I was happy with the brush and I think it was money well spent. I may try and wrap some inner tube strips around the handle to see if I can get it more to my liking.

CEE DOG
09-19-2010, 08:59 AM
I love the Daytona! Definitely get some spray back though as is inevitable with a brush that functions this way. Use goggles unless you like the possibility of wheel cleaner in the eyes!

ScottB
09-19-2010, 10:07 AM
You will likely have speckled legs after using the brush, but clean barrels.

Rob T
09-19-2010, 11:30 AM
You will likely have speckled legs after using the brush, but clean barrels.

Yep. The brush *does* work well at cleaning the wheels, but I already ruined a pair of shorts (they were fairly old anyway) because of the splatter I got on them from the brush.

pfix
09-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Yep. The brush *does* work well at cleaning the wheels, but I already ruined a pair of shorts (they were fairly old anyway) because of the splatter I got on them from the brush.

I did find myself purposely slowing down with my scrubbing in an attempt to minimize the sling back. Old clothes are a must when doing this job with the Daytona but my wheels look really really good today!

I love a clean car..

Kurt_s
09-19-2010, 10:20 PM
I did find myself purposely slowing down with my scrubbing in an attempt to minimize the sling back. Old clothes are a must when doing this job with the Daytona but my wheels look really really good today!

I love a clean car..
I also used the Daytona Speed Master for the first time today. I should have used a plastic 9" disposable plate to block the sling back but only had paper plates.

It seemed to work pretty well but had trouble around the calipers. I will try the mini next time.

toxygene
09-20-2010, 08:08 PM
I should have used a plastic 9" disposable plate to block the sling back but only had paper plates.

That's actually a great idea, but I can't imagine how ridiculous you'd look. :laughing:

Rob T
09-21-2010, 09:55 AM
That's actually a great idea, but I can't imagine how ridiculous you'd look. :laughing:

It doesn't work very well anyway, imo. It's very unwieldy.

Kurt_s
09-21-2010, 10:28 AM
It doesn't work very well anyway, imo. It's very unwieldy.
Cleaning BBS style wheels with the big Daytona was a messy job. I hope the Mini doesn't sling as much back otherwise I will need a raincoat. :laughing:

I really liked my older Tampico spoke brush as the bristles weren't so long and while it slung droplets, it was manageable. I am still looking for a great brush.

Has anyone used the Griot's wheel brush with what looks like white foam on a black plastic handle?

pfix
09-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Has anyone tried the Wheel Woolies? Do they hold up to all wheel Safe cleaners? How do you clean them?

Meghan
09-21-2010, 02:02 PM
I also used the Daytona Speed Master for the first time today. I should have used a plastic 9" disposable plate to block the sling back but only had paper plates.

It seemed to work pretty well but had trouble around the calipers. I will try the mini next time.

This is the first thing I thought of ....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DGmjKsBO0aE/Sa2bsX1J7kI/AAAAAAAADnk/MOH-J3VvpYk/s400/pets_20071018_mobilevet_banner.jpg

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2010, 02:09 PM
This is the first thing I thought of ....

Did you ever think of selling those as an accessory?

Dwayne
09-21-2010, 02:10 PM
I love the Daytona! Definitely get some spray back though as is inevitable with a brush that functions this way. Use goggles unless you like the possibility of wheel cleaner in the eyes!

Here's a tip.

When using the Speed Master brush instead of just pulling straight back and letting the bristles flick liquid right back at ya, use a twist motion so the bristles are now flick sideways and not in a straight line at you.

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Here's a tip.

When using the Speed Master brush instead of just pulling straight back and letting the bristles flick liquid right back at ya, use a twist motion so the bristles are now flick sideways and not in a straight line at you.

Yeah, but...you still have to pull it OUT at some point, no matter how much you twist. I've developed a sleeve-rolled, chair-sitting, leaning over backwards posture to keep my shirts and socks and stuff from having black specks on them...problem is I forget half the time to do that...maybe I have to get a dog...

Rob T
09-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Here's a tip.

I do something similar and it helps some, but like Setec says, you still gotta pull it out at some point and hope for the best.