PDA

View Full Version : Is Surbuff pads usable with rotary?

Pages : [1] 2

msk
09-19-2010, 04:42 AM
Hi,

Just wondering as Surbuff is noted with PC but wondering if it's too harsh if used with rotary like Makita 9227. If possible what speed & what products & what size? Or it's rarely noted as nobody really tries as other products already suffice?

Would appreciate opinions as price wise it's seems a cheaper alternative as AIO pad to other foam pads? Eg. normal advice for startup would be 1 orange, 1 white & 1 black.

Also, since touted more for DA/PC for better defect removal than orange pad on 105 combo.. is it any use for normal swirl remover eg M205, 3M 6064 or Menz 106fa on a PC?

Cheers

Flash Gordon
09-19-2010, 08:09 AM
If used with a Dynabrade yes, otherwise just use wool

Explicit Shine
09-19-2010, 09:52 AM
If used with a Dynabrade yes, otherwise just use wool

Why?

Flash Gordon
09-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Why?

Because I said so :props:

msk
09-19-2010, 10:30 AM
I take it the answer is no point?? Appreciate it if someone can answer in more detail especially their experiences with Surbuff pads. Thanks.

Flash Gordon
09-19-2010, 10:31 AM
I take it the answer is no point?? Appreciate it if someone can answer in more detail especially their experiences with Surbuff pads. Thanks.

Check your PM box in a minute or two Im the MAN

C. Charles Hahn
09-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Check your PM box in a minute or two Im the MAN

Why aren't you just posting your experiences for everyone's benefit? Not like there's some big secret here.

Unless of course you're afraid that you're wrong and don't want it pointed out to you.... :buffing:

Explicit Shine
09-19-2010, 12:07 PM
I have been wondering the same thing on what other thoughts were about using surbuf ads on a rotary. I have been experimenting with using the surbuf 5.5" pads on my rotary and i feel they work fine. Although I do think they work better on da style polishing. I have always finished up with foam after the surf pads.
I only ask why because I ammjust curious to better understand why it s just ment for da.

Kevin Brown
09-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Why aren't you just posting your experiences for everyone's benefit? Not like there's some big secret here.

Unless of course you're afraid that you're wrong and don't want it pointed out to you.... :buffing:

Perhaps Flash was pointing out some info on another site and chose not to list the link? :confused:

There are a couple posts you can find via Google by typing in "Surbuf rotary?". There is a post on the db forum you'll see show up, post 12.

Flash is a well respected member of many detailing forums and a good online friend of mine, and has no secrets to keep, and frequently shares knowledge.

If fact, I've learned quite a bit from the guy! :props:
I know you also are in the same "class", so not trying to start a :bash::bat::bolt:

Flash Gordon
09-19-2010, 12:45 PM

I was just trying to be respectful of this site. As a matter of fact, I have 0 expierence using these pads, but have a whole box full I just ordered on there way :buffing:

I will be happy to share my expierence with the surbuf pad just like I am happy to share any other expierence I have with a product someone might have a question about. If you ever see a post that I make and feel the info is misleading/bad, feel free to give your opinion :)

Perhaps Flash was pointing out some info on another site and chose not to list the link? :confused:

There are a couple posts you can find via Google by typing in "Surbuf rotary?". There is a post on the db forum you'll see show up, post 12.

Flash is a well respected member of many detailing forums and a good online friend of mine, and has no secrets to keep, and frequently shares knowledge.

If fact, I've learned quite a bit from the guy! :props:
I know you also are in the same "class", so not trying to start a :bash::bat::bolt:

:thankyousign:

Flash Gordon
09-19-2010, 12:47 PM
I have been wondering the same thing on what other thoughts were about using surbuf ads on a rotary. I have been experimenting with using the surbuf 5.5" pads on my rotary and i feel they work fine. Although I do think they work better on da style polishing. I have always finished up with foam after the surf pads.
I only ask why because I ammjust curious to better understand why it s just ment for da.

I will PM you as well. Give me a few minutes though, I'm trying to cook hotdogs on the grill at the momemt :hungry:

Rsurfer
09-19-2010, 05:16 PM
I was just trying to be respectful of this site. As a matter of fact, I have 0 expierence using these pads, but have a whole box full I just ordered on there way :buffing:

I will be happy to share my expierence with the surbuf pad just like I am happy to share any other expierence I have with a product someone might have a question about. If you ever see a post that I make and feel the info is misleading/bad, feel free to give your opinion :)

:thankyousign:
If you have zero experience with surbuff, why did you say: If used with a Dynabrade yes, otherwise just use wool

Flash Gordon
09-19-2010, 06:22 PM
If you have zero experience with surbuff, why did you say: If used with a Dynabrade yes, otherwise just use wool

Because I have done my research before purchasing ;)

Would you like a link as well :hungry:

I also trust the advice given by at least a 1/2 dozen other profesionals that I feel are reputable, and are seeing great results as well. I think during the first go around of this product many may have misused, or just plan given up on it. I am glad to see it being resurected before it gets lost in the detail shuffle Im the MAN

Rsurfer
09-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Because I have done my research before purchasing ;)

Would you like a link as well :hungry:

I also trust the advice given by at least a 1/2 dozen other profesionals that I feel are reputable, and are seeing great results as well. I think during the first go around of this product many may have misused, or just plan given up on it. I am glad to see it being resurected before it gets lost in the detail shuffle Im the MAN
Good enough reason, but still second hand information. As you very well know not everyone get the same results as others. Be it climate, paint or just technique.

Kevin Brown
09-20-2010, 01:19 AM
Don't know why I didn't just copy and paste this form the other forum.

now would this method only be effective or recommended for a DA or can Rotary's play as well?

Played around a bit with it on a rotary, but not a tremendous amount.
The problem I ran into was what you might expect- the pad packed full of abrasive as the lube dried up. If you use a spritz of water to loosen things up, the fast pad rotation flings the juiced up M105, creating a mess in the process. Besides- if the M105 is a' flinging off the pad and paint... kind of a waste, right?

So... drop the speed of the buffer to avoid the flinging and quick evaporation of the built-in lubrication, and cutting power drops to the point that a wool of foam pad could equal or surpass the Surbuf's ability to cut away defects.

Given the fact that the Surbuf seems to like high rotational speed, you'd think that the rotary would deliver better results than the random orbital. When have we heard that before?!

Let's run the numbers. My best guess puts a typical 5/16" stroke machine as being able to muster a MAXIMUM of 10-11 turns per second, using a light amount of pressure (to the point of actually lifting UP on the machine), and some added watery lube for good measure. That equates to between 600-660 RPM. Of course, if you use a 4" Surbuf versus a 7", the 7" pad is spinning at a MUCH higher speed at the outer edge of the pad.

Whatever, back on track!
Most guys won't use a rotary at such a slow speed. But even if they DID run their Makita or Metabo or other rotary that features a 600 RPM setting at the low setting, what have they gained over the random orbital?

Nothing. If fact, they've GIVEN up A LOT. Don't forget the OSCILLATING motion of the random orbital! That's right- 6,000 to 6,800 motions per minute! THAT, my friend, is a lot of polishing potential.

The Surbuf is NOT for everybody. Sure it works, but unless you spend some time to figure out how to finesse things, you're probably going to be left thinking, "What's the deal here?"

This is all just my opinion. I could be completely off... but I don't think so. :cheers: