PDA

View Full Version : Sealant vs Waxes

Pages : [1] 2

IID
09-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Good Evening Everyone,
I have a (I guess) embarassing question.
Up until recently,I thought sealants were waxes.I've been reading some of the AG threads and people say they are sealing than waxing,what differ's ?
If this is a insulting question to this forum,I Appologize.

Thank You,
Moz

Buckskincolt
09-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Good Evening Everyone,
I have a (I guess) embarassing question.
Up until recently,I thought sealants were waxes.I've been reading some of the AG threads and people say they are sealing than waxing,what differ's ?
If this is a insulting question to this forum,I Appologize.

Thank You,
Moz

Here you go Moz,
This question answered by Mike in great detail.
[/URL]
[URL]http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html)

El Guapo
09-17-2010, 08:18 PM
How dare you ask such a stoopid question to show your ignorance, Noob! Just playing :) Good question BTW. I just tried my first sealant (Griot's) last January on my GTI. After every other wash or so I use their "Spray On Wax". I have to say the results are great. Water beads relentlessly and bird poop, dirt, leaf crust, etc come off with ease. Their sealant claims to last for a year, but how could it not "last" when you're constantly using the spray on wax to further enhance the protection in the first place? I'll know for sure this coming January...My Passat has only been touched with Griot's "Best of Show" wax, and I've been less impressed with that product's results. Seems like the Spray on Wax is harder to buff out on that car. Anyway, let us know what works for you!

spike
09-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Hey Moz, there is no such thing as a stupid question! Go ahead and ask away! Anyway, that article by Mike that a fellow AG member posted the link to is full of great info. That will answer your question. But the easy, quick answer is what Mike wrote:

Car Wax
Contains some kind of naturally occurring waxy type substance, for example Carnauba wax.

Paint Sealant
Made from synthetic or all man-made ingredients.

:props:

El Guapo
09-17-2010, 08:28 PM
^^^ Hence, the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. At the end of the day, Sealants are for those who don't have the time to detail their cars every quarter (4x a year), use drive through washes, leave the car parked outside, etc. Waxes are more for the enthusiast who is going to detail every 90 days without fail, try new products consistently, keep the car covered, won't let the dealer wash the car after an oil change, etc...

jsgntulok
09-17-2010, 08:36 PM
As others have said, no such thing as a stupid question. Welcome to this forum. Keep visiting here and reading and you will gain a wealth of information. The main difference between a wax and a sealant is the longevity of the applied product. Sealants generally have a longer longevity than wax.

I want to second what El Guapo said about Griot's Best of Show. I used it and just did not like it. For several years I did use Griot's Carnauba Wax, when it was available in jars. Now that they have gone to the "deodorant stick" container, I no longer use that wax since I don't like the container at all. It is, however, in my opinion, a great wax. I now use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Polymer Sealant or Wolfgang Fusion, which is a combination of carnauba and polymer sealants.

IID
09-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Hey Thanks everyone one for the reply's.That being said,here's what i've been doing for corrections and protections:
Rinse
Foam (Gun)
Wash
Dry
Clay
Wash
Dry
Swirl remover /Tried - Adams SHR,Megs #105,PB SSR2.5
Polish / Tried- Adams FMP,Megs#205
Glaze /Tried-Adams BG, (have a trial of Wolfgang Finishing Glaze unused still)
Wax/Tried-Adams MSW,Americana (Very Nice),Buttery(didn't like)

Swirl&Scratch Removal I have but didn't try yet - XMT360
Polishes I have but didn't try yet - Adams RP,PB 1.0
Wax I have but not yet tried - RejeX,CG Reflections XP

I don't know how this compare's to what everyone else is having good results yet but I have to start somewhere,right?

So is Glaze considered sealant? I have been putting my wax over the Glaze for my process,which probley needs help :buffing:

fergie
09-17-2010, 09:04 PM
you put your sealant on first it fills in all the little pits in the paint, and then your wax. hope this helps.

Buckskincolt
09-17-2010, 09:10 PM
So is Glaze considered sealant? I have been putting my wax over the Glaze for my process,which probley needs help :buffing:

No a (true) glaze is a filler/polish. The Wolfgang Finish Glaze has no fillers and is a pure polish. Glazes don't have protection, so you should wax or seal over a glaze...hope that makes sense.

IID
09-17-2010, 09:15 PM
No a (true) glaze is a filler/polish. The Wolfgang Finish Glaze has no fillers and is a pure polish. Glazes don't have protection, so you should wax or seal over a glaze...hope that makes sense.

But like I mentioned earlier,I'm putting Wax over my Glaze.Can you put wax over a sealant,if so what benifits?

Buckskincolt
09-17-2010, 09:15 PM
you put your sealant on first it fills in all the little pits in the paint, and then your wax. hope this helps.

Welcome fergie.:welcome:
Sealants don't fill, Glazes do. Some products/sealants use mild fillers but those are mostly considered all in ones . Read the article linked above, it goes into finish wax/sealants vs cleaner wax/sealants.

Buckskincolt
09-17-2010, 09:20 PM
But like I mentioned earlier,I'm putting Wax over my Glaze.Can you put wax over a sealant,if so what benifits?

Yes you can wax over a sealant, Lots of people do. The wax gives a different look than a sealant. Wax is usually better protection against things like bird droppings. Sealants mostly last longer than nuba wax against weather. The benefit for layering is you get the benefits of both...Then there is hybrids that combine both.

Dubbin1
09-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Normally you will want to apply a sealant to the paint with nothing under it.

El Guapo
09-17-2010, 10:11 PM
^^^??? Why would you bother sealing your paint until you've done a full correction? Polish/Glaze the paint and then seal it for long term protection.

Dubbin1
09-17-2010, 10:22 PM
^^^??? Why would you bother sealing your paint until you've done a full correction? Polish/Glaze the paint and then seal it for long term protection.

Well because some people don't care to go that far and some peoples cars don't need a correction. I have kept mine swirl and scratch free for over a year now and see no reason to try and correct whats not there.