PDA

View Full Version : Machine vs. hand

Finemess
09-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Do some waxes look better when applied by machine vs. hand? Or do they look the same? Im the MAN

loudog2
09-17-2010, 07:49 PM
same

William D.
09-17-2010, 09:48 PM
I've tried both ways, and notice no difference.

Shade Tree
09-19-2010, 08:27 PM
The only difference that could possibly be noticed would be during the application. Most times you're going to have a more uniform application of the wax via machine than you will by hand. Of course, the edges & corners of body panels usually require hand application anyway.

I would also venture to say that you may receive a better gloss via a machine application depending on the prep process used before the wax is applied.

Rsurfer
09-19-2010, 09:06 PM
The only difference that could possibly be noticed would be during the application. Most times you're going to have a more uniform application of the wax via machine than you will by hand. Of course, the edges & corners of body panels usually require hand application anyway.

I would also venture to say that you may receive a better gloss via a machine application depending on the prep process used before the wax is applied.
Why would you say that the edges and corners require hand application? Why can't you wax these areas with a PC? It's not like polishing with abrassives. I like others have never noticed a difference in gloss when applying wax by machine or by hand.Feed back please

ryandamartini
09-19-2010, 09:09 PM
A cleaning wax would definitely benefit from machine application.

Buffing off a wax haze with a very fine pad like an EDGE white pad with the pc burnishes the paint to a wonderful gloss.

Shade Tree
09-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Why would you say that the edges and corners require hand application? Why can't you wax these areas with a PC? It's not like polishing with abrassives. I like others have never noticed a difference in gloss when applying wax by machine or by hand.Feed back please

Unless you can get every nook & cranny with a machine ...... around mirrors, light housings etc ..... there ARE areas that you aren't going to be able to get a machine polishing pad into for a proper polishing that are going to require some extra work by hand.

In my earlier response I mentioned that the surface prep can make a difference in the effects of a machine wax vs a hand wax application.
If the surface receives no more prep than a car wash then hand wax isn't going to make much of a difference. The same instance of a car wash with a machine wax after IS going to yield a better finish. A machine bonnet (mf or otherwise) is still going to create more friction against a painted surface than a mf hand application will. Any friction created, no matter how subtle, is going to yield a better overall finish whether using a wax or otherwise.

Yes, the majority of waxes have no cleaning abilities, however if you were going to apply a machine wax to a slightly oxidized surface you'll find that the bonnet will remove some of that oxidation which means it is cleaning the surface of dead or old paint/contaminants. You could do the same thing by hand if you have the hours to burn.

More friction = cleaner surface.