PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for Megs #7 show car glaze?

adudley88
09-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Hello,

I'd like to try to remove some oxidation off a single state paint using the method Mike uses in his thread "The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html)". I tried to polish out the oxidation slightly, but it is removing some paint and so I'd like to try the least aggressive method possible. However, I don't have Megs #7 show car glaze and I really don't want to order it and have to wait a week for it to get here. I do have a few other glazes already, like Wolfgang Finishing glaze 3.0 and Menzerna Finishing glaze. Would one of these work instead? Any other suggestions of a product I could try?

Thanks, -Ash

Make it shine!
09-17-2010, 06:09 PM
You may be able to find #7 locally, my local AutoZone carries it along with #26 yellow wax. I believe #7 works the best because of teh oils that it contains.

William D.
09-17-2010, 06:10 PM
For what it's worth, PEP BOYS usually has #7 in stock, if there is one near you. This way, you won't have to wait a week. No input on the other two products, sorry.

adudley88
09-17-2010, 06:22 PM
You're right, I was able to find it at an auto part store. =) I'm still curious if there's an equivalent product that would do the job, but in the meantime I'm happy I was able to get my hands on a bottle.
-Ash

BillyJack
09-17-2010, 07:06 PM
You'll be happy you took the time to get the real thing. IMO #7 is a truly unique product, especially for single-stage paints. I did the same process a few months ago on my El Camino here's an "in progress" pic of my roof.
El Cam roof 3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/15788843@N05/4815867370/)

Bill

jlb85
09-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Agreed with BillyJack, but I also think the products you have now will work quite well. Its not like the Menzerna and Wolfgang are bad products (they are quite good), just that #7 is the preferred glaze, and it is really good. But a good job with Menzerna will look just as good as a good job with #7, the good job part being the trick ;)

#7 is the original, and the formula is very old and pretty much unchanged from what I understand. Good stuff, and addicting!

BillyJack, your El Camino looks fantastic! Your collection of vintage Meguiar's is impressive as well. :props: