PDA

View Full Version : Got the Flex, PC 4" or Griots 3" for 2nd ?

Pages : [1] 2

Al D
09-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Been lurking for a couple of weeks. Probably 20 hours or more. What an awesome site. Wife and kids are getting a little tired of DAD MIA.

I have a Flex coming on Monday. I have some Meg 105/205, Chem guys glaze and Blackfire sealant and wax coming. No Pads yet, not sure what I'll go with there, probably the Lake Country CCS or flats.

After further insight, I'm thinking a second polisher for a dedicated smaller back plate for the smaller spots would really help. Since I have a Flex 5.5", would you suggest a Griots 3" or PC 4" for the smaller work? I'm leaning toward the 3" Griots just to giver a bigger spread in size. Also, I'm assuming it's a little easier to handle.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Al in Placerville CA

Dubbin1
09-17-2010, 05:55 PM
The PC is a MUCH better choice over the baby griots.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-17-2010, 06:11 PM
I had the baby Griot's for about 2 days before I sold it.......

Al D
09-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Was your Griots the "New and Improved" or the old?

If this was the only one I was going to use, the PC would be the obvious answer, I'm just thinking with already having the flex, the PC wouldn't be a big enough difference.

By the way, my weekend baby is my 06, Z06. Red. Only has 6800 miles.

thanks,
Al

CEE DOG
09-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Welcome Al D :welcome:

If you need a option for smaller areas with machine polishing definitely get either:
The $50 edge adapter for using smaller pads on the Flex 3401
OR... The Porter Cable XP

If you're dead set on the Griots 3" (newest version) I would be willing to trade mine. I've used it only a couple times.

Ruby13
09-17-2010, 08:08 PM
I recently purchased the 3" Griots from AG after using the 6". I really wanted a separate machine without having to change out backing plates. I was pleasantly surprised how effective it was on smaller areas.
I just finished my friends Carerra4 S which has a good set of louvers and small panels and I thought the 3" Griots worked great. Of course it seems a bit lame at setting 1 that I used to spread but bump it up to 4 or 5 and it was working really well with the Griots 3" red pads. :props:

Flash Gordon
09-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Get a 6" Griots with a 4" BP and have both in 1 tool

TLMitchell
09-17-2010, 10:09 PM
After further insight, I'm thinking a second polisher for a dedicated smaller back plate for the smaller spots would really help. Since I have a Flex 5.5", would you suggest a Griots 3" or PC 4" for the smaller work? I'm leaning toward the 3" Griots just to giver a bigger spread in size. Also, I'm assuming it's a little easier to handle.

Placerville, huh? The Sierra has some of the nicest motorcycle roads I've ever been on!

As one that has all 3 in addition to rotaries, add my vote for the PC as well. Maximum versatility, you can add a 5", 4" or 3" BPs (in fact, I recommend all 3) and appropriate pads for smaller jobs and tight spots. The PC gives you the potential for some real correction, that's a stretch for the Griot's 3". It works best for spreading waxes and sealants and perhaps reaching under front facia one-handed or on motorcycles. I use it for some light polishing but if any real correction is needed I still reach for the PC.

The Griot's 3" is a nice tool but if you're only going to have it OR the PC, definitely go for the PC.

My $.02

TL

Dubbin1
09-17-2010, 10:49 PM
If you need a option for smaller areas with machine polishing definitely get either:
The $50 edge adapter for using smaller pads on the Flex 3401

They are no longer making the adapter :( I wish I would have snagged one up from AG when they still had them...

Al D
09-17-2010, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=TLMitchell;357134]Placerville, huh? The Sierra has some of the nicest motorcycle roads I've ever been on!

As one that has all 3 in addition to rotaries, add my vote for the PC as well. Maximum versatility, you can add a 5", 4" or 3" BPs (in fact, I recommend all 3) and appropriate pads for smaller jobs and tight spots. The PC gives you the potential for some real correction, that's a stretch for the Griot's 3". It works best for spreading waxes and sealants and perhaps reaching under front facia one-handed or on motorcycles. I use it for some light polishing but if any real correction is needed I still reach for the PC.

The Griot's 3" is a nice tool but if you're only going to have it OR the PC, definitely go for the PC.

My $.02

Re riding in Placerville. I just sold my Indian a while back. With 3 kids, I'm going to wait a few more years till they are gone and ride again. For now, the Z06 will have to do. Kind of strang (maybe not on this forum) but I like detailing it almost as much as driving it.

Thanks for the $.02. I was leaning toward the Griots, but most are recomending the PC, so maybe I should go that route. Then maybe the Griots later.

builthatch
09-18-2010, 12:03 AM
a PC with the 4" pads can be extremely effective. just as an example, my old style PC with 4" yellow spot buff and optimum compound will take out 1500/2000 grit wet sand marks or heavy RIDS in relatively hard clear very quickly. depending on the clear, an orange or green 4" pad with optimum polish will make it practically LSP ready. (of course i never leave it though) the smaller diameter = outer edges moving faster vs. bigger pad, plus you have a lighter backing plate and less pad to spin. it's pretty powerful and maneuverable for tight spaces.

TLMitchell
09-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Re riding in Placerville. I just sold my Indian a while back. With 3 kids, I'm going to wait a few more years till they are gone and ride again. For now, the Z06 will have to do. Kind of strang (maybe not on this forum) but I like detailing it almost as much as driving it.

That'd work! Gotta be a scream hauling a** uphill on 88 :xyxthumbs: Friend down in Jackson peddled his Indian a few years ago, picked up a pristine Pan to replace it. Dunno how he finds the time to ride it as he's always criss-crossing the country on his dresser.

Thanks for the $.02. I was leaning toward the Griots, but most are recomending the PC, so maybe I should go that route. Then maybe the Griots later.

Nice feature of Griot's is the lifetime warranty. The GG 6" is reported to be a bit stouter than the PC. Might be an option if they're comparably priced.

TL

Dubbin1
09-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Nice feature of Griot's is the lifetime warranty. The GG 6" is reported to be a bit stouter than the PC. Might be an option if they're comparably priced.

TL

Yes they have a lifetime warranty but they do seem to break quite often. Personally I would go with the PC reputation over a product that is know to fail.

Buckskincolt
09-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Yes they have a lifetime warranty but they do seem to break quite often. Personally I would go with the PC reputation over a product that is know to fail.

My Griots is almost 2 years old and going strong without a burp!:dunno:

Buckskincolt
09-18-2010, 10:13 AM

I'd pick the PCXP or the 6" Griots with different size backing plates before I bought the 3" Griots. Buy one of the above you have a Flex so you dedicate the other RO to small pads and they have a bunch more power than the 3" plus the 3" has a very limited pad selection...my .02