PDA

View Full Version : Best method for deionized water rinse

fishnugget
09-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Hello,

I am a total newbee to autogeek and had a question about rinsing my car with deionized water.

I have this RO/DI filtration system that I used for my saltwater fish tanks that is able to make gallons of DI water.

I was thinking instead of using those guzzler MF towels and increasing the risk of swirls, I could just do a final rinse with DI water since I have it readily available at my house.

So....what the best method for rinsing the car with DI water? Should I go to Home depot and buy a garden sprayer? Let me know what you think. I can make a tons of DI water. Thanks.

RaskyR1
09-17-2010, 04:42 PM
I'd invest in a TDS meter too and make sure you are getting pure DI water with zero TDS. Systems like the CR Spotless system are only good for a few hundred gallons of water before you have to replace the resin. The TDS in your city water will determine how long it actually lasts. ;)

TDS = (Total Dissolved Solids)

Welcome to AG BTW! :)

Here is the CR system...
CR Spotless Water Systems, deionization system, water de-ionizer, purified water systems, cr-spotless, spot free rinse, spot free car washing (http://www.autogeek.net/cr-spotless-water-systems.html)

Dubbin1
09-17-2010, 04:48 PM
I don't think a garden sprayer would get the job done as the soap would dry before you had it all rinsed. Plus you would still need to dry the car off anyway.

Mindflux
09-17-2010, 05:04 PM
I don't think a garden sprayer would get the job done as the soap would dry before you had it all rinsed. Plus you would still need to dry the car off anyway.

Prerinse with hose water and flood off with DI water works pretty well. Minimal spotting ;)

fishnugget
09-17-2010, 05:05 PM
I'd invest in a TDS meter too and make sure you are getting pure DI water with zero TDS. Systems like the CR Spotless system are only good for a few hundred gallons of water before you have to replace the resin. The TDS in your city water will determine how long it actually lasts. ;)

TDS = (Total Dissolved Solids)

Welcome to AG BTW! :)

Here is the CR system...
CR Spotless Water Systems, deionization system, water de-ionizer, purified water systems, cr-spotless, spot free rinse, spot free car washing (http://www.autogeek.net/cr-spotless-water-systems.html)

Thanks Rasky, I actually have a handheld TDS meter and my unit has inline TDS meters like the CRS spotless system.

The CRS spotless system is very inefficient and waste DI resin incredibly fast. I am not trying to knock it down for those that own one, but just pointing the facts. As you pointed out, living in a high TDS area will deplete the system fast. My incoming TDS water is 200ppm. In San Diego it used to be 400ppm. The RODI unit I have brings down the TDS level to 5ppm before it hits the DI resin media. So I use less DI resin.

However, the drawback is that I dont have much pressure if any at all. So, I figured a garden sprayer but my concern is that the garden sprayer might not be fast enough and the water may dry out before I get to it all of it. Thanks again.

fishnugget
09-17-2010, 05:07 PM

Thanks Dubbin

I would rinse the soap off with regular hose water first then rinse again with the garden sprayer using DI water only.

fishnugget
09-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Prerinse with hose water and flood off with DI water works pretty well. Minimal spotting ;)

Thanks Mindflux, I think I may try it. How do you flood off? A pitcher? Garden hose sprayer? Any of these work best for you?

That was my initial question, I guess I am looking for the best method. I may just have to run to HD and buy a garden sprayer to give it a shot. I have four 6 gallon water jugs that I can use to store DI water. Thanks again.

Dubbin1
09-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Speaking of saltwater aquariums here is mine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/dubbin1/75gtank.jpg

RaskyR1
09-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks Rasky, I actually have a handheld TDS meter and my unit has inline TDS meters like the CRS spotless system.

The CRS spotless system is very inefficient and waste DI resin incredibly fast. I am not trying to knock it down for those that own one, but just pointing the facts. As you pointed out, living in a high TDS area will deplete the system fast. My incoming TDS water is 200ppm. In San Diego it used to be 400ppm. The RODI unit I have brings down the TDS level to 5ppm before it hits the DI resin media. So I use less DI resin.

However, the drawback is that I dont have much pressure if any at all. So, I figured a garden sprayer but my concern is that the garden sprayer might not be fast enough and the water may dry out before I get to it all of it. Thanks again.

Sounds like you know your stuff! ;) Surprisingly my city water is down around 115ppm....been looking to get a CR system for a while now to use for my final rinse.

You could maybe look at the Nomad....though it is a little $$$$

Nomad 18 Volt Portable Power Cleaner, Nomad Cordless Power Cleaner, mini power cleaner, portable car wash, compact power washer (http://www.autogeek.net/nomad-portable-power-cleaner.html)

fishnugget
09-17-2010, 05:17 PM
haha nice, dubbin, I miss my reef tank and have this RODI unit that I use for drinking water but the DI cartridges dont get used anymore. I figured I could use them for my car washes now that I have a garage. Nice tank, I knew there would be reefers here.

fishnugget
09-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Sounds like you know your stuff! ;) Surprisingly my city water is down around 115ppm....been looking to get a CR system for a while now to use for my final rinse.

You could maybe look at the Nomad....though it is a little $$$$

Nomad 18 Volt Portable Power Cleaner, Nomad Cordless Power Cleaner, mini power cleaner, portable car wash, compact power washer (http://www.autogeek.net/nomad-portable-power-cleaner.html)

115ppm, that is awesome. I am pretty sure you can build your own CR spotless system and for much cheaper. All you have to do is buy the canisters and DI resin, this place sells all the parts at discounted price including the expensive DI resin. Much cheaper here. Bulkreefsupply.com. Its a reefers website but has everything you need.

All you have to do is find the adapter fitting that connects from the hose to a 1/4" tubing and voila! You have your crs spotless system.

RaskyR1
09-17-2010, 05:31 PM
115ppm, that is awesome. I am pretty sure you can build your own CR spotless system and for much cheaper. All you have to do is buy the canisters and DI resin, this place sells all the parts at discounted price including the expensive DI resin. Much cheaper here. Bulkreefsupply.com. Its a reefers website but has everything you need.

All you have to do is find the adapter fitting that connects from the hose to a 1/4" tubing and voila! You have your crs spotless system.

Yeah, one of the members over on Autopia put together a nice article on making your own kit. Still debating if I want to go that route or just spring for the CR system. ;)

fishnugget
09-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Hey Rasky, that Nomad might work! Sux that it costs $200. I may try the garden hose sprayer first and if it doesnt live up to my expectation I will save for the nomad. Thanks!