PDA

View Full Version : Poorboys ssr2 with a 7424 need help

flyin2jz
09-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Ok I'm working on my buddies 1993 Mercedes station wagon. It's laquer paint. I first started with ssr1 and the orange pad and that did a good job. Paint was really oxidized. I didn't get any real correction with this product and I knew this wouldn't do it all. I got some other poorboys stuff for fun. I got the entire line ssr 1,2,2.5,3. I started with 3 and it did pretty well but left marring. So I hit it with the 2 and this removed the marring but it left these stripes behind like you could see the last pass I made and what direction I was working. I was able to get these out with ssr1. My question is am I just covering these stripes with the one or am I removing them. I don't want 3 washes later these stripes showing back up. Am I doing something wrong when the stripes are left? I work the product till it powders with a 50% overlap. Thanks for any info. Kevin

tuscarora dave
09-17-2010, 01:42 PM
I had struggled with using the SSR line with a DA for 1 1/2 years and have come to the conclusion that it is a polish that "I" will only use with a rotary polisher.

Can you wash the stripes off with a QD or IPA?

SSR 2 acts like a polish from a totally different manufacturer as compared to the SSR 1 and 2.5. Plus it is the only SSR that will not turn as thin as water in the heat of summer. SSR 2 tends to have a gummy quality near the end of the polishing cycle. I have often seen little rolled up balls of SSR 2 come off of my pad while DA polishing with it. It may be this gummy residue you are seeing as stripes in the paint. I have never seen it come back after finishing off with SSR 1 or a different finishing polish.

SSR polishes work very well for me while being used with a rotary and I never have to deal with any of the PITA side characteristics while running it with a rotary as I do while trying to use it with a DA polisher.

Well the dusting is the only thing that gets worse with rotary use but the finish once you get through the frustrating learning curve is a very fine finish.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
09-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Hey flyin2jz,

Make sure your last pass with the SSR1 is with a soft pad. You are not covering up the "stripes" they are gone :xyxthumbs:

On lacquer I would have used Pro Polish you really are just looking to deep clean the paint ,get off all the dead pigments (aka oxidation) and give it a gentle polish. The abrasives of the SSR line are not really necessary for that kind of paint. :buffing:

-Chris

flyin2jz
09-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Yea I was trying to get the oxidation off. I was super surprised how well my first pass with the orange pad and ssr1 combo worked. I'll post pics of it. I didn't get much if any more by using the 2 and 3. It was going to turn into too many processes by going from 3 to 1 without much advantage with just using 2 to 1.

flyin2jz
09-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Here is a pic of how well ssr1 with a orange pad and the pc worked. I wasn't able to get it much better even using the 3 step process and taking a chance with thinning the paint too much.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/flyin2jz/7f2a7f19.jpg