PDA

View Full Version : Sealant gone?

Pages : [1] 2

Nira
09-17-2010, 07:23 AM
Hey Mike,

How do I know if my sealant is gone?
I put on two layers last week, with proper technique and curing time. After 3 days I finished, it rained and I noticed that the water wasn't beading. Is this normal?
After 2 or 3 more times of rain, I felt the car's paint and its a bit sticky. Does this mean that all of the sealant is gone after a week? It seems a bit fast. I used PB's EX-P.

Thank you!

Nira
09-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Another quick question.
I'm planning to re-wax and seal my car if it is necessary, but I would like to know if a pre-wax/sealant cleanser removes glaze too? I applied the glaze before using the sealant last week. I used PB's White Diamond.

BobbyG
09-17-2010, 07:31 AM
That's sort of odd.

Sealants have come a long way and are basically synthetic waxes in my opinion. The hold up very well and by themselves "should" outlast conventional waxes. The protection / beading should last at the minimum a few months under normal conditions.

The sticky felling after it rains is also a bit odd. Once a sealant drys / cures moisture alone should not affect it.

Nira
09-17-2010, 07:33 AM
Thats what I was thinking, but even after I rinsed and rewashed my car after the rain.. The texture of the paint is still a bit sticky instead of a nice smooth surface.
Does this mean that I need to reseal and wax my car again?

CEE DOG
09-17-2010, 07:49 AM
Very odd indeed! Tape off a little 12x12 section and clean it good with ipa. Tape off another square 12x12 and ipa that area as well but on this second area apply a wax or something. Then see how the beading and stickiness is in the 2 test areas compared to the rest of the car.

Nira
09-17-2010, 09:47 AM
i did that before i sealed my car. after i used the IPA it was quite sticky. after apply some wax to it.. it was very smooth.
Im just sorta surprised on how my sealant is gone so fast. its very odd.

Does the stickiness mean that I have to rewax and seal my car?

A4 1.8tqm
09-17-2010, 09:52 AM
What is the car? Could it be that "self healing" paint?

Nira
09-17-2010, 09:54 AM
2008 Mercedes Benz S550 L
Paint: Iridium Silver

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/Niwaah/Cars/upload1.jpg

Dubbin1
09-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Good looking car you have there :xyxthumbs:

Nira
09-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Good looking car you have there :xyxthumbs:

Thank you :props:

BobbyG
09-17-2010, 10:46 AM
If you've:

Washed it
Clayed it
Polished it
IPA Wiped it
Sealed it
Waxed it

Then I'm out of plausible solutions, I've never heard of an automotive finish becoming sticky to the touch after it gets wet. It almost suggests a water-based finish but even those are rock solid after they cure.

Jumpingbean
09-17-2010, 10:53 AM
You said you sealed it and waxed it. I noticed in your first post you put "with proper curing times". I'm just curious how long you waited in between applying the sealant and wax and also what wax you used?

Nira
09-17-2010, 11:08 AM
I did the following steps:

-Washed
-Clayed
-IPA
-Glazed
-Sealant
-Wax

Quite odd for the finish to become like this after 2-3 times of rain. Maybe the heat is another thing that might of affected it. I live in Cambodia so it rains every other day (Rainy season) and when its not raining its about 80-100 degrees out. However my car is garaged.

You said you sealed it and waxed it. I noticed in your first post you put "with proper curing times". I'm just curious how long you waited in between applying the sealant and wax and also what wax you used?

For the sealant I used Poorboy's EX-P. It said 8-12 Hours of curing time after buffing it off in the instructions but I left it for 24 hours before applying another coat just to be safe.

For the wax I used Meguiars Mirror Glaze #26 Hi-Tech Liquid Carnauba Wax. I let it sit until it hazed and passed the swipe test. I buffed it off and left it home for another day to harden.

How can two layers go missing so fast? I dont understand how this can happen. When I did this before it would last at least 3-6 weeks depending on the rain.

tuscarora dave
09-17-2010, 11:39 AM
I am almost through my second quart of EX-P (that's a ton of cars) I have to say that "I believe" that the EX-P is still on there. EX-P is a very durable sealant in my experience. However I have no experience with #26. Seeing #26 on the shelves of our local hardware store, I have to wonder if it has cleaners in it that may have cleaned or removed your sealant. Mike Phillips should be able to shed some light on whether #26 has cleaners in it.

IMO what you have done is to apply a top shelf product (EX-P) and then go over it with a mediocre consumer grade product (#26)
I am not trying to be insulting here but I would suggest sticking with all top shelf products or at least top your EX-P with a true carnauba last step wax that contains no cleaners or fillers.

If it were me in this predicament I would fare on the side of safety and go back over my steps again to be sure.

Nira
09-17-2010, 11:51 AM
IMO what you have done is to apply a top shelf product (EX-P) and then go over it with a mediocre consumer grade product (#26)
I am not trying to be insulting here but I would suggest sticking with all top shelf products or at least top your EX-P with a true carnauba last step wax that contains no cleaners or fillers.

What would you suggest I use? I only have #26 and NXT Tech Wax 2.0. ]: Natty's Blue nor Red is available here.