PDA

View Full Version : Am I using my PC correctly (vid) 56k ouch!

Pages : [1] 2 3

06GT
11-22-2006, 10:57 PM
This is a video I took of me practicing with my new PC(on my winter car). The quality of vid is poor, sorry.
Am I polishing too quickly? Does it look like I've broken down the polish enough? It was 42 degrees outside.

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/nathansdad04/?action=view&current=MVI_0096.flv

Z06-Goose
11-23-2006, 01:14 AM
I'm also new at the PC thing. However, I feel I've done my homework thoroughly on the subject before I decided to buy one. I've practiced with it since yesterday using all the tecniques/tips and instructional videos I've gotten with excellent results so far.
With that said, it looks like you're going a little bit too fast, and too large of an area to work with. I guess this is only irrelevant if you're just applying wax as opposed to doing paint correction.
When you are ready to lay down your first applicaton you put like a dime size of your product on the pad at 12-3-6-9 o'clock position, spread it on the surface, and cover the area at 3k opm which for what I looked in the video, you still had too much of product still on the paint, or it looks like you may have applied too much QD, or water on the pads. Then you can work the polish in at 5.5-6k opm.
Like I said, I'm not an expert at this yet, but following what I've read and learned to the letter has brought me good results, and made using the PC an enjoyable experience! :cheers:
Goose-

ltoman
11-23-2006, 01:29 AM
This is a video I took of me practicing with my new PC(on my winter car). The quality of vid is poor, sorry.
Am I polishing too quickly? Does it look like I've broken down the polish enough? It was 42 degrees outside.

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/nathansdad04/?action=view&current=MVI_0096.flv

I do not know too much, but it seems like you went over it fairly fast, and I am not sure at allif it is broken down. Better to spend too lon on it than not enough, as it becomes wasted time. I agree the area seems to large. But lol, what do i know? i can remove van swirls fine, but not on my own vette.
:)

overthehill
11-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Dont take anything I say to the bank as Im still learning. Like killer says...treat her like a lady....slow and steady. WAY to fast. do a 18x18 section, work the polish untill it brakes down, appx 5-7 min.
On a foot note I like the idea of showing your Vid. Wouldnt it be great to see a senior member like justin, and others post a vid to show there tricks.Figuring the correct speed comes with practice and the product. Just keep asking questions , Guys and gals here are fantastic. No such thing as a stupid question........hang in there

ScottB
11-23-2006, 09:14 AM
It seems a little cold for polishing, and based upon the area you polished you were done to fast. 5 minutes per panel .... slow and steady. Speed on high, it didnt sound like you were above 5 1/2 on the dial. If you polish is drying to fast consider spritzing or priming the pad with water or pad conditioner. Also use a little pressure. Good start ...

supercharged
11-23-2006, 10:05 AM
I agree with others. You are doing it way too fast. Also, so smaller sections at a time form better results.

ryandamartini
11-23-2006, 11:16 AM

There is a PC running loose ! CATCH IT! :D

Go slower, a bit more pressure and overlap your passes, when dust starts flying, stop and buff it off.

joe.p
11-23-2006, 11:20 AM
The others have given some direction in refference to the PC..I just wanted to say that you should have a few damp towels over the vents to keep polish/dust from building up in the vents..Good Luck and have fun ..

06GT
11-23-2006, 12:20 PM
I started on my black Mustang today. I'm getting a bit frustrated. I've got a lot of light hazing now.
I started with SSR2 and orange pad(2 passes). It got out the noticeable scratches. Then I used SSR1 with white pad(2 passes) then gray pad and SSR1(1 pass).
When I look at the paint(from 12" away) i can see light hazing. What am I doing to cause this?

Surfer
11-23-2006, 12:29 PM
I started on my black Mustang today. I'm getting a bit frustrated. I've got a lot of light hazing now.
I started with SSR2 and orange pad(2 passes). It got out the noticeable scratches. Then I used SSR1 with white pad(2 passes) then gray pad and SSR1(1 pass).
When I look at the paint(from 12" away) i can see light hazing. What am I doing to cause this?
Probably still moving too quickly and 2 passes isn't enough. You need to overlap multiple passes with the PC as it doesn't have the power to break down polishes/compounds as quick/good as a rotary, when the abrassives aren't broken down properly they can cause marring/hazzing which your pry seeing. I work a panel for a minimum of 5 minutes. Move the PC about a half-inch or so per second, especially on black.

06GT
11-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Well...I'm at my wits end now. I got the swirls out(95% of them), but each 1' x 1" panel I did has a lot of hazing that I quite noticeable.
I have no idea what to do now. I worked 1 panel for like 8 minutes and went what I thought was slow enough. An it still shows quite a bit of hazing. I've spent 2 hours and still haven't finished even half of the door.

Here's a look at today's technique. I(56k- stay away!)

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/nathansdad04/?action=view&current=MVI_0101.flv

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/nathansdad04/?action=view&current=MVI_0100.flv

From this pic...you would think the finish is pretty darn good, but it isn't at all.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/nathansdad04/IMG_0099.jpg

06GT
11-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on what I should try next? I've read the micromarring can be caused by not breaking down the polish or breaking it down too much....how do I know which is causing the marring?
Should I be putting more pressure on the pad maybe? How many times can I go over the same area(trying to remove my mistakes) without worrying about damaging the paint?

Emm
11-23-2006, 07:14 PM
Did you prep the paint first? (especially on black), Use a clay bar? , finish still looks dirty

06GT
11-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Paint was clean. What you saw was polish that had splattered outside of the panel I was working on. Plus there was some SSR dust that was clinging to some of the paint.

06GT
11-24-2006, 11:07 PM
Out of curiosity...how would using a SLOWER speed (like 4) affect my results? I'm going to try to get all of the polishing done on Mon and Tues, so I need to have all the info I can get so I don't end up spending 8 hours polishing only to end up with no results.