PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Clay

touringsedan
09-16-2010, 05:34 PM
So the time has come , I am starting to get request from others to help with their cars. Recently I have had quite a few request that have been solved with just clay. However, as I never abused my vehicle or let sap, overspray etc sit on it for long periods of time I am not familar with the different levels of clay let alone have any. I have used Mothers, Meguiars (white bars not pro grade), and Pinnacle ultra poly. I have not used the Wolfgang or XMT clay. I also see that Meguiars has an aggressive clay available. My main question lies in where do these clays grade? Also at what time would they be used?

Below is what I am thinking, please add other products you have had good expierence with or correct me if I am wrong.

Grade 1 (soft) Pinnacle Ultra Poly This grade to be used for frequent maintainence, can be used to remove up to 6-12 months of contaminents.

Grade 2 (mild) Mothers, Meguiars ( both consumer and Pro line mild), XMT speed clay and Wolfgang Elastic Poly. This grade can be used for everything the 1st can except it should only be used 1-2 times a year.

Grade 3 (aggressive) Meguiars Pro Line aggressive. Used to remove sap, overspray, transfer, brake and rail dust etc. Same as above but for more stubborn trouble spots.

If my line of thinking is correct I need to find a "grade 3" clay for rare occasions. A " grade 2 " for most other occasions and a "grade 1 " clay for my frequent / OCD detailing.

Thanks for any and all help

TS

Dubbin1
09-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Are you planning on doing any polishing after using the more aggressive clays? Depending on the paint, your list of mild and aggressive clays can leave a marred finish.

touringsedan
09-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Are you planning on doing any polishing after using the more aggressive clays? Depending on the paint, your list of mild and aggressive clays can leave a marred finish.

For the situation I am thinking of, Yes.

Which of the mild clays could leave a marred finish?

Dubbin1
09-16-2010, 05:50 PM
For the situation I am thinking of, Yes.

Which of the mild clays could leave a marred finish?

Depending on how soft the paint is any of them could.

touringsedan
09-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Depending on how soft the paint is any of them could.

gottcha, will ultra poly mar the finish.