PDA

View Full Version : 3M tape marks

Turboclam
09-15-2010, 11:13 PM
I taped off a new 2010 Mazda CX7 (dooredge and door handle) today to wetsand a scratch and when I removed the tape it left a straight line mark on the paint. It wouldn't buff or wetsand out. I also tried some paint thinner and it still wouldn't come off. It is not tape residue. The glue from the tape seems to have affected the clear somehow. It's the blue painters tape. Any ideas? Thanks

builthatch
09-15-2010, 11:19 PM
I taped off a new 2010 Mazda CX7 (dooredge and door handle) today to wetsand a scratch and when I removed the tape it left a straight line mark on the paint. It wouldn't buff or wetsand out. I also tried some paint thinner and it still wouldn't come off. It is not tape residue. The glue from the tape seems to have affected the clear somehow. It's the blue painters tape. Any ideas? Thanks

what? i've never heard of such a thing! sorry to hear.

for what it's worth i use green 3m automotive tape. i forget which tack, but it's the most common one.

just to say you tried, put some wd40 on a rag and dab it (the line) so it's wet...let it sit, then wipe. see if that removes it.

tuscarora dave
09-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Did you buff right against the tape for any length of time? I have had a situation once while doing a 50/50 on a truck bed side panel where I was left with a tape line because I buffed right against the tape using a wool then a foam pad and when I pulled the tape and polished out the rest of the panel I still had the line there. It took some polishing to get the line to disappear.

Dubbin1
09-16-2010, 12:37 AM

The problem comes from putting the tape down to wet sand. You need to feather out where you are sanding or you will have this problem.

Turboclam
09-16-2010, 06:16 AM
It's not a wetsanding line. It seemed to make a line by just being on the paint for literally a few minutes in the sun (25 min) I guess the clear didn't like the tape getting hot. I was at about 500 RPM using a yellow pad with a mild compound. I was very careful with not getting too hot due to thin Mazda paint is and it was close to the door edge. This is the first time that I've EVER seen this happen. Factory paint. Clear not totally cured? IDK

builthatch
09-16-2010, 11:05 AM
It's not a wetsanding line. It seemed to make a line by just being on the paint for literally a few minutes in the sun (25 min) I guess the clear didn't like the tape getting hot. I was at about 500 RPM using a yellow pad with a mild compound. I was very careful with not getting too hot due to thin Mazda paint is and it was close to the door edge. This is the first time that I've EVER seen this happen. Factory paint. Clear not totally cured? IDK

nah, it's def cured.

and you are right about the paint being thin.

sounds like a paint defect to me...because it obviously shouldn't do that.