PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted paint

red98snake
09-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Hello, I need help. a friend of mine just baught a 99 VW Beetle. It's a nice blue color. The car is good condition. The only problem with it is it has Tinkerbell painted on the side from the last owner. I took a look at it myself and I don't think that it has any clear coat over the top of it. The dealer said that some really fine steel wool would take that off, but that sounds a little sketchy to me. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you Brian

snowking724
09-15-2010, 08:21 PM
plastic razor blade with a heat gun/hair dryer.easy with the direct heat though.

Dubbin1
09-15-2010, 08:25 PM
The dealer said that some really fine steel wool would take that off, but that sounds a little sketchy to me.

OMG!!!

Even if you get it off I wouldn't be surprised if you can still see tinkerbell from the paint fading around it.

richy
09-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get yourself a product called Krud Kutter. It's usually in the paint section. It is a wonder product and if you shoot it on the area and let it dwell for a few minutes, it should come off. If not, use it with a clay bar and that combo should work. KK will take graffiti off of surfaces, it's powerful and safe stuff.

red98snake
09-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Is any of this stuff going to mess with the factory paint that's underneath it? I don't want to damage the clear coat.

rohnramirez
09-15-2010, 10:17 PM
The only problem with it is it has Tinkerbell painted on the side from the last owner.

Wait! First, what is the tinkerbell made of? Paint? Sticker decal?

All of the suggestions are if it is a sticker. :)

Dubbin1
09-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Wait! First, what is the tinkerbell made of? Paint? Sticker decal?

All of the suggestions are if it is a sticker. :)

The only problem with it is it has Tinkerbell painted on the side from the last owner.

;)

Mike Phillips
09-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Is any of this stuff going to mess with the factory paint that's underneath it? I don't want to damage the clear coat.

Well if by the word "mess" you mean scratch it in any way then chances are good at some point during the removal process that "yes" you will scratch or at least mar or dull that area.

Clear coat paints are scratch-sensitive, they are easily scratches and dulled, so rubbing on them in a manner that will remove topical paint or a sticker will mean afterwards you'll need to remove any defects and restore clarity and gloss.

But take heart, we teach people how to create show car finishes on clear coat paint systems everyday here on Autogeek Online.

Don't use Steel Wool, that's a Caveman Technique and it demonstrated the lack of knowledge by the person that gave you the free and useless advice.

If you can't dissolve the Tinkerbell Graphic off the clear coat then you'll have to scrape or abrade it off.

Please verify if we're dealing with a sticker or with paint.

:)

red98snake
09-17-2010, 10:10 AM
It is deffinitly painted on.

RaskyR1
09-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Hello, I need help. a friend of mine just baught a 99 VW Beetle. It's a nice blue color. The car is good condition. The only problem with it is it has Tinkerbell painted on the side from the last owner. I took a look at it myself and I don't think that it has any clear coat over the top of it. The dealer said that some really fine steel wool would take that off, but that sounds a little sketchy to me. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you Brian

I thought I had heard it all! :wow:

Please go back and educate this man!

If it's painted on I would maybe try some Goof Off Graffiti Remover (be sure to try in an inconspicuous area first)

Goof Off Graffiti Remover (16oz Aerosol) | Goof Off (http://www.goofoffstainremover.com/products/goof-off-graffiti-remover/16oz-aerosol-voc-compliant)

Rasky

red98snake
09-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Thank You for all of the Suggestions. i have taken a pic of Tinkerbell. I took a good look at her and she is painted on. Thank you and I well try to work on this car.