PDA

View Full Version : Door Jams and Truck Beds

Pristine Image
09-15-2010, 12:30 PM
I've been trying to put together a price list for services I can provide and I've noticed that some people offer cleaning and dressing of door jams. This is going to sound pretty ridiculous, but what exactly does that mean? Are you talking about the door sills or literally underneath the door handles? What is there to dress? I'm probably overthinking this so please excuse my embarassing question.

Lastly, when washing/detailing trucks, do yall wash the inside of the truck beds as well or do you only work the outside? It's a pretty considerable amount of extra work to just do the inside of the truck bed...

Dubbin1
09-15-2010, 12:45 PM
The door jam is where the hinges are located and all around where the door shuts. IMO should be part of any basic car wash package.

Pristine Image
09-15-2010, 01:18 PM
The door jam is where the hinges are located and all around where the door shuts. IMO should be part of any basic car wash package.

Ok, so that's what I thought (the door sill area if you will). I agree, I would think that's included in a basic wash already. I won't be charging extra for that.

Pristine Image
09-15-2010, 07:34 PM
...when washing/detailing trucks, do yall wash the inside of the truck beds or do you only work the outside?

:bump:

rwright
09-15-2010, 07:55 PM
After wiping the area down (door jam/sill area), I treat with Optimum Car Wax. Almost everyone around me has a bedliner, and those who don't really don't care about cleaning the bed. But, if it's uncovered with nothing in it I would wash it with one of the chenille mops.

GaryD
09-16-2010, 07:36 AM
I've been trying to put together a price list for services I can provide and I've noticed that some people offer cleaning and dressing of door jams. This is going to sound pretty ridiculous, but what exactly does that mean? Are you talking about the door sills or literally underneath the door handles? What is there to dress? I'm probably overthinking this so please excuse my embarassing question.

Lastly, when washing/detailing trucks, do yall wash the inside of the truck beds as well or do you only work the outside? It's a pretty considerable amount of extra work to just do the inside of the truck bed...

Yes I wash inside the bed area on all trucks if possible. I don't spend a lot of time here, but usually this is part of the wash and clean job.

Shade Tree
09-16-2010, 08:42 PM
I consider any exterior wax or detail is an automatic for the jams to be cleaned as well. "If it's painted then it gets cleaned" kinda thing. Also, how tacky is it to pay for a detail (interior or exterior) and not have the jams clean(ed)? When a customer opens the door of their ride it's always nice to see a clean door opening complimenting the shiny exterior or fresh interior .......

Not to say that I'm going to use a hand wax on these areas, however I will use either a QD of choice or a spray wax depending on the vehicle.

Shade Tree
09-17-2010, 02:42 PM
I consider any exterior wax or detail is an automatic for the jams to be cleaned as well. "If it's painted then it gets cleaned" kinda thing. Also, how tacky is it to pay for a detail (interior or exterior) and not have the jams clean(ed)? When a customer opens the door of their ride it's always nice to see a clean door opening complimenting the shiny exterior or fresh interior .......

Not to say that I'm going to use a hand wax on these areas, however I will use either a QD of choice or a spray wax depending on the vehicle.

and yes, most car washes will dry the water from the jambs, but WILL NOT spend any extra time cleaning them. Fine line kinda deal ........

jlb85
09-17-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm gonna chime in here and defend the honor of the jambs!

You can just clean them, or you can really clean them. We spend and extra hour just on jambs if the client wants them to be as perfect as the rest of the vehicle. What we do is significantly more work than a normal jamb cleaning. Or should I say it CAN be! Sometimes all the jambs require is, easily, APC and agitation, rinse and spray wax. When we go all out on jambs we use Body Solvent + wipe dry, FK1 #1119, P21S TAW, ONR rinse, wipe, Klasse AIO or M105 if needed, then spray wax. The folds in the rubber seals are cleaned thoroughly, the hinges and lock mechanisms, and any rubber grommets or hoses get restored as well. They look amazing! But definitely much more work than most people care for.

ryanbabz71
09-17-2010, 09:26 PM
I always drop my tailgate and wipe down the tailgate jambs each time I was my truck. Takes maybe 5 min?

weavers
09-17-2010, 11:57 PM
i'm interested in how you guys clean truck beds. I once tried washing it with a hose, it took all day to dry. Best i've come up with is sweeping, ONR pressure spray, and wipe down with a rag. any rag, its not worth wasting a mit or sponge or a wheel towel. so much grit and black stuff. It takes a fair bit of time and feels like a big job with minimal "wow" impact, sweeping looks the same.

On most car washes I clean door jams, trunk jam, and fuel cap. A wipe down with ONR or APC takes little time at all, but is one of those jobs you can spend hours on as well. But its like cleaning the windows, it takes really no time at all to clean one window. So I just do it, and for me, atleast, it makes a big difference, step into a car with clean door jams. It is worth waxing them, just like waxing your wheels. I just use cheap (3m performance or meg's nxt 2.0) wax/sealant.

BobbyG
09-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Door jams are part of washing and detailing. The inside of the truck bed on the other hand is not.

jlb85
09-18-2010, 10:13 AM
i'm interested in how you guys clean truck beds. I once tried washing it with a hose, it took all day to dry. Best i've come up with is sweeping, ONR pressure spray, and wipe down with a rag. any rag, its not worth wasting a mit or sponge or a wheel towel. so much grit and black stuff. It takes a fair bit of time and feels like a big job with minimal "wow" impact, sweeping looks the same.

On most car washes I clean door jams, trunk jam, and fuel cap. A wipe down with ONR or APC takes little time at all, but is one of those jobs you can spend hours on as well. But its like cleaning the windows, it takes really no time at all to clean one window. So I just do it, and for me, atleast, it makes a big difference, step into a car with clean door jams. It is worth waxing them, just like waxing your wheels. I just use cheap (3m performance or meg's nxt 2.0) wax/sealant.
I have used a broom and some APC or Degreaser, or even just soap. Scrub it down quick, then rinse it off with the pressure washer. Don't worry about drying it, ever. I park the truck with the rear pointing downhill and the water flows out of the bed after awhile :)

The spray-on liners can be dressed with Hyperdressing or some other economical dressing, but this will make it more slippery. So if the client uses their truck for work, you might not want to dress it. But it looks oh so good when dressed, and helps to even out the liner and make it look cleaner.

buddhadog
09-18-2010, 12:28 PM
I aslo dress the iside of a truck bed and it really looks great . To have a beautifully detailed truck and a very dirty truck bed do not go together IMO>Yes its time consuming !
Unless its covered and full of the customers belongings ,then they usually dont even want it cleaned . If they do I politely ask them to remove everything for me to make it easier for me.

GaryD
09-21-2010, 01:41 PM
I got a real dirty ford tarus coming today. I'm going to try the steam cleaner out on the door jams, first using all purpose cleaner and let them soak a while. I got a new all purpose cleaner wanting to try on door jams, may work good for inside truck beds also in the future.