PDA

View Full Version : Can you wash a California Duster?

Pages : [1] 2

biggestmexi
09-15-2010, 06:48 AM
I think mine is starting to marr the car :(

How do I clean it VERY well?

Thanks

CEE DOG
09-15-2010, 06:53 AM
I have a duster. I think it's the Carrand. The duster portion slips off the handle so you can put it in the wash. Does the Cali do that?

biggestmexi
09-15-2010, 07:00 AM
Yeah it does have the ability to come off.

I just wasnt sure if it would ruin the "stuff" in the duster that ....helps...it dust...

Thanks.

And i would assume cold water maybe?

Setec Astronomy
09-15-2010, 07:16 AM
From the company's site: "BECAUSE OF A SPECIAL PERMANENTLY BAKED IN PARAFFIN TREATMENT, THE ORIGINAL CALIFORNIA DUSTERS ARE MADE TO PROVIDE YEARS OF EFFECTIVE SERVICE WITHOUT THE NEED FOR CLEANING. SIMPLY SHAKE THEM OUT BEFORE AND AFTER EACH USE. THE "DIRTIER" THEY GET THE BETTER THEY WORK."

I know that doesn't help you much. Certainly the (microfiber) ones that Cee Dog mentions, and others, can be washed.

Meghan
09-15-2010, 07:18 AM
You can wash in cold water with Woolite.

biggestmexi
09-15-2010, 07:21 AM
From the company's site: "BECAUSE OF A SPECIAL PERMANENTLY BAKED IN PARAFFIN TREATMENT, THE ORIGINAL CALIFORNIA DUSTERS ARE MADE TO PROVIDE YEARS OF EFFECTIVE SERVICE WITHOUT THE NEED FOR CLEANING. SIMPLY SHAKE THEM OUT BEFORE AND AFTER EACH USE. THE "DIRTIER" THEY GET THE BETTER THEY WORK."

I know that doesn't help you much. Certainly the (microfiber) ones that Cee Dog mentions, and others, can be washed.

well.......i have had it for several years....

Thank YOU!

Bonifax
09-15-2010, 10:36 AM
"THE DIRTIER" THEY GET THE BETTER THEY WORK."
washed.

I mean, if the manufacturer says that...

The Meguiars VersaAngle Body Duster also recommends not to "clean" it and it also states that the dirtier it gets the better it works.

Kurt_s
09-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Meghan,

Mine is about 10 years old. Does the woolite wash affect performance?

Speakerguy45
09-15-2010, 10:56 AM
I've never washed mine but i use it in the spring to remove a bunch of pollen from the cars. i give it a few good hits on my hand and big dust clouds come out

2kredbb6
09-15-2010, 11:59 AM
I've washed it, no problems what so ever it will lint so wash alone got some red lint fibers on 2 MF rags i threw in there with it (rim duster rags now).
I did let it air dry, placed it back on the handle an then angled it of a shelf so that the fibers were hanging down as they got dry.

It worked good as new...

g35_coupe
09-15-2010, 12:23 PM
I've just replaced it every 3 or 4 years. Yes, I am that rich.

davidc
09-15-2010, 01:20 PM
I ran my 10 year old duster thru 4 cold water washes to get it cleaned up. Pretty much took out what was left of the paraffin. It still works better than my Carrand. If it is that old my recommendation would be to replace it. The only way I can get the Carrand to lift anything is to pre spray it with ONR.

Dave

Meghan
09-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Meghan,

Mine is about 10 years old. Does the woolite wash affect performance?

Its 10 Years Old? WOW, well I would wash it and pray for the best, I have not heard of someone using one that old. Goes to show you, products last when you take good care of them and they are quality products.

glenn14
09-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Its 10 Years Old? WOW, well I would wash it and pray for the best, I have not heard of someone using one that old. Goes to show you, products last when you take good care of them and they are quality products.

I'll bet mine is at least 15+ years old and I still keep it in the original blue and clear bag that it came in :props: And I never washed it once. I tap it on my hand until all of the pollen / dust comes out.

Glenn

RaskyR1
09-15-2010, 03:40 PM
I think mine is starting to marr the car :(

How do I clean it VERY well?

Thanks

A match! :D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :D