PDA

View Full Version : Advice prior to ordering

Pages : [1] 2

shadowstep
09-14-2010, 10:32 AM
I have been trying to compile of products I will be purchasing this friday (hopefully). Here are the products I have lined up: (Some advice on whether I should change it up or not)

Griots Garage Random Orbital Polish & Wax Kit

Poorboy's World Super Swirl Removers Sample Kit

Griot's Garage Paint Glaze

DP Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo

The Bone by Cobra
Lake Country 6.5 FLAT Pads 6 Pack

Those are most of the exterior products I am planning to buy. I still haven't looked into which boar's brushes I want yet and I also forgot to mention the conditioner and cleaner for the pads. I would like some suggestions on what I should add/remove. Thanks in advanced!

Dubbin1
09-14-2010, 10:54 AM
I would add some clay and microfiber towels (they are but on get on free right now) to the order.

BobbyG
09-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Here are a few of the products I use and their category of use.

Car Wash: Duragloss 901, DP Extreme Foam, Meguiar's Hyper-Wash
Interior Protectant: Meguiar's M40
Glass Cleaner: Meguiars D1200
Tires: Pinnicle Black Onyx, Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel, DP Gloss Tire Gel
APC: Meguiar's APC+
Wheel Cleaner: Meguiar's Wheel Brightener
Wheel Wax: DP Wheel Glaze, Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant
Spray Wax: Optimum Spray Wax
Quick Detailer: Adams
Compound: Menzerna Power Gloss, Meguiar's M105
Medium Polish: Menzerna Power Finish, Meguiar's M205
Final Polish: Menzerna PO85RD
Leather Cleaner: Lexol
Leather Conditioner: Lexol
Trim: Poorboy's World Trim Restore, Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant
Chrome: Mothers
Liquid Sealant: Menzerna Power Lock, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
Liquid Wax: Collinite 845, Pinnacle Souveran,
Paste wax: Collinite Marque Elegance, Pinnacle Signature Series, Poorboy's Natty, DP Max Wax, Wolfgang Fusion

A good assortment of Microfiber towels

shadowstep
09-14-2010, 11:53 AM
The kit comes with some mf towels but I will pick some up also. Thanks BobbyG ill pick and choose some of those products. I will be trying to pick up some good swirl removers because I will be dealing with medium grade swirls and oxidation.

Dubbin1
09-14-2010, 11:55 AM
I will be trying to pick up some good swirl removers because I will be dealing with medium grade swirls and oxidation.

M105 and M205 would be an excellent choice for your polishes.

edit: you will want a lot more towels then what comes with that kit.

shadowstep
09-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Will do, forgot to add grit guards. Btw is liquid wax better than past wax?

Tyrod
09-14-2010, 02:53 PM
I started out with Griots products and have since changed over to other folks stuff. In particular, I don't like Griots polish. I can't speak about their wax or sealant cuz I never used any. Also, you might want to consider going with Lake Country 5.5" pads. Of course, you'll need a new backing plate. But I think it's worth it. I find the smaller pads are easier to control, can get into tighter spaces, and the selection of pads is outstanding.

shadowstep
09-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Awesome thanks Tyrod! Will keep that in mind!

shadowstep
09-14-2010, 09:33 PM
What products should I use to clean the wheel wells?

WRAPT C5Z06
09-15-2010, 12:25 AM
I have been trying to compile of products I will be purchasing this friday (hopefully). Here are the products I have lined up: (Some advice on whether I should change it up or not)

Griots Garage Random Orbital Polish & Wax Kit

Poorboy's World Super Swirl Removers Sample Kit

Griot's Garage Paint Glaze

DP Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo

The Bone by Cobra
Lake Country 6.5 FLAT Pads 6 Pack

Those are most of the exterior products I am planning to buy. I still haven't looked into which boar's brushes I want yet and I also forgot to mention the conditioner and cleaner for the pads. I would like some suggestions on what I should add/remove. Thanks in advanced!
Griot's Random Orbital
Lake Country 5" backing plate
Lake Country 5.5" pads
Wolfgang Total Swirl remover and Finishing Glaze
Duragloss #901 car wash soap
Optimum Power Clean(wheels, wheel wells, plastic interior panels, tires, engine, and even paint)
Liquid Natty's Blue Carnauba Wax

tuscarora dave
09-15-2010, 12:44 AM
What products should I use to clean the wheel wells?
The cheapest All Purpose Cleaner that AG has And dress them with a tire shine product.

You will likely have trouble getting the hang of using SSR line, especially using a DA polisher. I'd stick with M-105 M-205 or Optimum Compound 2, Optimum Polish 2, Optimum Finish or something that the others have suggested above.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-15-2010, 12:51 AM
I wouldn't suggest M105 to someone with little experience. Meg's Ultimate Compound would be a better choice. JMO.

tuscarora dave
09-15-2010, 01:00 AM
:goodpost:Yeah I guess you're right Mark. Sometimes I forget about some of the bonehead things I did as a newbie.:dblthumb2::iagree:

WRAPT C5Z06
09-15-2010, 01:40 AM
:goodpost:Yeah I guess you're right Mark. Sometimes I forget about some of the bonehead things I did as a newbie.:dblthumb2::iagree:
lol...I only say it because I'm still getting the hang of things, and I've been doing this for about a year. We all know you're far beyond that. I've seen WAY too many posts from newbies complaining that M105 dries fast, is a pain to remove, etc.. Once they get a feel for things and understand the polishing process, then M105 would be better. ;)

shadowstep
09-15-2010, 11:16 AM
wow, this is awesome guys thanks again! I am also trying to do a lot of learning after my classes and whenever my gf is asleep lol. There are still several things that I still need to look into. But again thanks for the input, obviously more input is much appreciated!