PDA

View Full Version : Best winter sealant?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

fletch173
09-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Hello, I'm not a professional detailer, but just looking for a good product to protect my cars for the winter -- 2009 silver infiniti and 2006 silver ford fusion. I've done a little reading online and while Klasse looks like it would do the job, the high gloss sealant may be more work than I'm looking for as several posters have said it is tricky to remove. What prodcut would you suggest that balances good protection with ease of application for a novice? I'm hoping for about 6-months of protection to get us through the Pittsburgh winter. Thanks very much.

Bobby B.
09-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Here are some great products that are very durable for winter months and are very easy to apply.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant
Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze
Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant
Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax
Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax

M+O
09-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Good question and from what I can tell its really comes down to personal preference and experience.

I'm kind of a newb as well and I recently made an AG purchase of several items. Two of which are for my winter detail => Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax 845 and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0.

My car is brand new and I have clay'd once already and it doesn't need any correction (that I can tell). So, I plan on a wash, clay and then applying Wolfgang, cure overnight then applying 845 (maybe two coats) before winter or as long as the temp permits.

I have never done this exact process so I'm not sure what the "cut off" temp needs to be (e.g. when is it too cold)?

clearview
09-14-2010, 12:23 PM
I've been looking for that very same answer. I just got the Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax 845 and can't wait to try it this weekend. I've heard 845 is awesome stuff. I haven't had a chance to really try them all but this is the on I've settled on....for now.

BobbyG
09-14-2010, 12:48 PM
I've been looking for that very same answer. I just got the Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax 845 and can't wait to try it this weekend. I've heard 845 is awesome stuff. I haven't had a chance to really try them all but this is the on I've settled on....for now.

Collinite 845 is a great wax but make sure you apply it THIN. This is a petroleum product and if applied too thick you'll end up with a greasy oily mess.

I apply it with my Porter Cable DA using a blue or red pad on a speed of 3. Work it back and forth many times until it almost disappears , let haze, than buff.

clearview
09-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Collinite 845 is a great wax but make sure you apply it THIN. This is a petroleum product and if applied too thick you'll end up with a greasy oily mess.

I apply it with my Porter Cable DA using a blue or red pad on a speed of 3. Work it back and forth many times until it almost disappears , let haze, than buff.

Do you think any gets wasted using the pad? I was going to do it by hand even though I have a DA. Also, mine is kinda thick. I see a lot of people saying it should be liquid.

Dubbin1
09-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Do you think any gets wasted using the pad?

The pad will continue to soak up the product so yes, it will waste more product.

f150smith
09-14-2010, 01:38 PM
If you really want protection that will last all winter use the Klasse Twins topped with Collinite Super Double Coat 476. I know some people say that KSG is difficult, but if you use a PC with a red pad and, work it in on say half a hood or one side panel til almost dry then it will wipe off without effort. The same thing goes for the 476, use a red pad on you pc, work one area til you see it start to haze then wipe it off. The key to any of these is use them sparingly

Make it shine!
09-14-2010, 02:02 PM
845IW is my go to protection for winter, it is so easy to use just apply thin as previously stated. It is supposed to be a thin liquid so shake the hell out of it and it will eventually turn from thick goop to thin liquid.
I have also used UPGP with very good results and as WOWA it is quick and easy only if applied thin. Applied thin is the theme for all LSP's!

svs
09-14-2010, 02:17 PM
845IW is my go to protection for winter, it is so easy to use just apply thin as previously stated. It is supposed to be a thin liquid so shake the hell out of it and it will eventually turn from thick goop to thin liquid.
I have also used UPGP with very good results and as WOWA it is quick and easy only if applied thin. Applied thin is the theme for all LSP's!

+1 , whatever winter sealant you choose just be sure to apply thin :xyxthumbs:

fletch173
09-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Would I be OK or is it advisable to apply whatever sealant I choose from the list above over Klasse all-in-one?

dougaross
09-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Do you think any gets wasted using the pad? I was going to do it by hand even though I have a DA. Also, mine is kinda thick. I see a lot of people saying it should be liquid.

Shake it! Shake it! Shake it! You use very little a quarter size dab will do a hood. It goes a long way. As the pad gets saturated you will need even less.

kkreit01
09-14-2010, 02:50 PM
DG105 &/or IW845 for me. I've used both individually, and together (in that order). They work well.

builthatch
09-14-2010, 02:56 PM
i use opti-seal. it's about as easy to use as anything ever. i haven't tried any other sealants because, honestly, i haven't had the need. in NJ we have some pretty aggressive winters (as well as hot summers) and opti-seal seems to handle it all.

i think multiple coats with ample cure time are ideal. after that, for months on end, all you gotta do is wash it to keep it clean.

BobbyG
09-14-2010, 08:14 PM

Regardless of what wax you use some will always be absorbed back into the pad. Foam is a sponge and sponges absorb.

Collinite 845 is temperature sensitive and if it gets hard to use simply place the bottle in hot water for a few minutes and it's ready to go.

Collinite 845 is probably the biggest bang for the buck today providing a wet shine and 3 to 4 months of solid protection and all for about $12.00.