PDA

View Full Version : Raggtopp detailing

GaryD
09-14-2010, 07:55 AM
I bought raggtopp cleaner and protectant for a fabric top a while back from autogeek. I live in a rural area of North Carolina. I think the kit was like $28 bucks. The protection itself was close to 20 bucks which I will use all of for two or three coats hopefully. The How to is a big help here on autogeek.

What is a fair price to charge for cleaning and protecting a volkwagon convertable( beetle)? This is one of the bigger beetles, newer models.

Mike Phillips
09-14-2010, 08:06 AM
I bought raggtopp cleaner and protectant for a fabric top a while back from autogeek. I live in a rural area of North Carolina. I think the kit was like $28 bucks. The protection itself was close to 20 bucks which I will use all of for two or three coats hopefully. The How to is a big help here on autogeek.

What is a fair price to charge for cleaning and protecting a volkwagon convertable( beetle)? This is one of the bigger beetles, newer models.

Once consideration is that the RaggTopp should only be applied to a absolute dry surface.

So if the top needs washing, to be honest, unless you live in a very hot, dry climate, you or the owner need to thoroughly wash the convertible top a day or two before your treat it with the protectant so the fabric can completely dry.

Having the owner do this means possibly getting a substandard cleaning job, I don't know the owner so I'm not passing judgment on their skill and abilities but I know all of you, much like me, are very thorough when washing anything we're going to work on and most non-detail oriented people will just do a quick wash and think they did a stellar job.

Now if you wash it a day or two before you treat it, then that means two trips to the customer's house. Not a big deal if you live close by... kind a profit loser if you live far away...

Of course, if the car is always garage kept you might be able to get away with vacuuming and then treating...

As for a price... I would say a low of $75.00 and in a perfect world, around $150.00...

Whether that's a good deal or not depends upon if you have to wash the top and then come back in a day or two...

Down and dirty detailing would be to just vacuum it, (or not), spray on the protectant, wait about 30 minutes and apply a second coat, then call it good. I'm not saying this is the best way or right way but I could see production detailers doing it this way...

:)

Stittville Ed
09-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Mike is 100% correct, but we know that :xyxthumbs:

I try to wash the top the night before we are going to have a very sunny day so by the afternoon the top is bone dry before the RaggTop goes on.
I park the car indoor to avoid the dew at night and hope for a sunny day in the morning.

GaryD
09-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Once consideration is that the RaggTopp should only be applied to a absolute dry surface.

So if the top needs washing, to be honest, unless you live in a very hot, dry climate, you or the owner need to thoroughly wash the convertible top a day or two before your treat it with the protectant so the fabric can completely dry.

Having the owner do this means possibly getting a substandard cleaning job, I don't know the owner so I'm not passing judgment on their skill and abilities but I know all of you, much like me, are very thorough when washing anything we're going to work on and most non-detail oriented people will just do a quick wash and think they did a stellar job.

Of course, if the car is always garage kept you might be able to get away with vacuuming and then treating...

As for a price... I would say a low of $75.00 and in a perfect world, around $150.00...

Whether that's a good deal or not depends upon if you have to wash the top and then come back in a day or two...

Down and dirty detailing would be to just vacuum it, (or not), spray on the protectant, wait about 30 minutes and apply a second coat, then call it good. I'm not saying this is the best way or right way but I could see production detailers doing it this way...

:)
Thanks Mike,

This is a close by client so I may just swing by and pick car up and use the cleaner on it and wash it myself, depending on how it looks. The car is kept under a shelter but not inside. It hard to predict if sun is going to be shining so doing this before is a good idea. Its two or 3 years old and has never been treated before. These are some good tips, thanks! I've never did a convertible top before, but did read the how to.
1. It seems there is a lot of concern about getting protection on window, any ideas about this? Will carboard be enough to shield or should I mask off. I don't want a mess.
2. I have a horse hair brush that I bought, can you tell me a little about the use of it when cleaning top or is there a better way to loosen dirt?

GaryD
09-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks Mike,

This is a close by client so I may just swing by and pick car up and use the cleaner on it and wash it myself, depending on how it looks. The car is kept under a shelter but not inside. It hard to predict if sun is going to be shining so doing this before is a good idea. Its two or 3 years old and has never been treated before. These are some good tips, thanks! I've never did a convertible top before, but did read the how to.
1. It seems there is a lot of concern about getting protection on window, any ideas about this? Will carboard be enough to shield or should I mask off. I don't want a mess.
2. I have a horse hair brush that I bought, can you tell me a little about the use of it when cleaning top or is there a better way to loosen dirt?

uh, think the house hair brush is mainly for interiors, think the how to suggested a stiff nylon bristle brush.