PDA

View Full Version : Car already has touch up paint

Perfections
09-13-2010, 09:52 PM
I've been contacted by a client saying they want their mercedes rock chips fixed, but said the previous owner already had applied touch up paint. horribly :( I'm sure i can wet sand off the excess but do u think it would be safe without a PTG? I know it will be a slow process to remove the excess, but they said they are willing to pay for my time, I'm just used to being the one that first applies the touch up paint :( Anyone have any experience with this? :buffing:

builthatch
09-13-2010, 09:57 PM
I've been contacted by a client saying they want their mercedes rock chips fixed, but said the previous owner already had applied touch up paint. horribly :( I'm sure i can wet sand off the excess but do u think it would be safe without a PTG? I know it will be a slow process to remove the excess, but they said they are willing to pay for my time, I'm just used to being the one that first applies the touch up paint :( Anyone have any experience with this? :buffing:

hmm...i wonder what would happen if you took laquer thinner to it? i've had some previously blobbed out spots that seemed to disappear pretty easily with some laquer thinner on a rag.

i've also had touch-up paint simply get pulled out with just the slightest heat and friction from a buffer.

how old is the touch-up work the previous owner did? like, did she just buy the car and the previous owner did it to spruce the car up before sale?

tuscarora dave
09-13-2010, 09:57 PM
My experience with this was not on a MB but a Toyota and m-105 on a wool pad zipped all the excess touch up paint right off then I was able to apply the new touch up but I find it to be a tedious process that requires I go back additional times 2 to 3 times so I don't advertise chip repair anymore.

Perfections
09-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Its been on the vehicle for about 2 years is what they are telling me. I'll try to compound it i guess and see if it will remove it before sanding. Thanks for your thoughts :)