PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Scratches

Pages : [1] 2

IID
09-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Hey Mike,
First off,just wanted to say Thank You for the Very Informative Video's.They have been extremely helpfull for me.
Iv'e an issue with scratches I can't seem to get rid of on my daily driver (2006 Chrysler 300 Limited).
I have been able to get most (85%) of the swirls and haze corrected on my finish,but can't get rid of a couple on the decklid of my car.The scratches can't be caught with a finger nail JSYK.
I don't know if it's because of the products i'm using or the process i'm attempting to implement with the products?

Here's what i'm using product wise:
PorterCable7424XP (with 12gage extension cord)
7.5" Yellow hex pad (all pads competitors)
7.5" Orange hex pad
7.5" White hex pad
7.5" Gray hex pad
Swirl/Haze remover (competitors)
Machine Polish (competitors
Machine Wax (competitors)
MF Towels (Korean)
Detail Spray (pink)

Here's the process iv'e attempted:
Rinse
Foam (foam gun)
Wash (synthetic wool mit & two wash buckets w/GritGuards)
Rinse (cut rubber hose method)
Dry ( BloVac & MF waffle drying towel)
Clayed
washed (synthetic wool mit & two wash buckets w/GritGuards)
PorterCable on 2 to spread product,5 to work product (primed pads with 1 squirt DS)
Orange Pad / Swirl Remover (4 passes each section) scrathes remained
Yellow Pad / Swirl Remover (3 passes each section) sratches remained

With each pass I have applied light pressure on the PC,only to hear the OBM's drop very slightly.I would work each section approx 2'x2',overlapping horizontal strokes than vertical strokes.I would work the product until in became translucent (3-4 passes).The strokes not fast at all.This process worked to correct my finish 80/85%.I've already have on order from AG Meguiars #105 & #205 compound's/polishes (respectivly).I also have on order Surbuf R series 6.5" pads to see if that combo will work with the PC?
In the next (2) days,I will also be purchasing a Flex XC3401VRX orbital (regardless if the PC works or not).

Can you help me with my application or make any recommendations? Feed back please
Iv'e included a couple IPhone pic's,IK IK I will soon be investing in a good digital camera.

Also,I polished(white pad on setting5) and waxed(gray pad on setting3) the finish as I didn't know when I was going to be able to attack the scratches again and wanted to put some protection on my car.Will I have to strip the decklid with a DAWN wash to remove the polish and wax and start on a clean slate?

If I can get these scrathes out,i'll be attempting to put a perfect/near finish on my toy (2001 TransAm WS6).

Thank You,
Moz

tenzin
09-13-2010, 10:26 PM
I see you used but yellow and orange pad which are aggressive, maybe its the product your using thats is not strong enough. Doesn't say what kind of swirl/haze remover you used.

I would think M105/Orange, couple passes would remove that.

someone with more experienced should chime in...

Rsurfer
09-13-2010, 10:35 PM
First of all 7.5" pads are too big for a pc, even the newer model. You didn't say what polishes/compounds you are using. Get some 5.5" pads and Meg's 105/205, Wolfgangs Twins, or the new Optimum Hyper spray compound/polish.

IID
09-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Sorry Guy's,I didn't know if it was acceptble to post competitors product names.
Adams SwirlHazeRemover (SHR).

Thank You for an and all responces,:props:

tenzin
09-13-2010, 10:42 PM
First of all 7.5" pads are too big for a pc, even the newer model. You didn't say what polishes/compounds you are using. Get some 5.5" pads and Meg's 105/205, Wolfgangs Twins, or the new Optimum Hyper spray compound/polish.

:iagree:
yeah i was gonna ask about the backing plate. The biggest PC backing plate is 6" i think.

I tried using 6.5"pad on 5" backing plate, i could feel the difference.

tenzin
09-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Sorry Guy's,I didn't know if it was acceptble to post competitors product names.

Yeah i think thats the problem. Even with orange pad Adams SHR only removes fine swirls.
Sounds like a AIO from what im reading

Go with one of the products surfer mentioned above.
Meg's 105/205, Wolfgangs Twins, or the new Optimum Hyper spray compound/polish.

Swirl Removers, Compounds & Car Polishes: remove swirls with swirl mark removers, scratch removers, spiderwebs, car polish, rubbing compound, (http://www.autogeek.net/swreandpo.html)

IID
09-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah i think thats the problem. Even with orange pad Adams SHR only removes fine swirls.
Sounds like a AIO from what im reading

Go with one of the products surfer mentioned above.
Meg's 105/205, Wolfgangs Twins, or the new Optimum Hyper spray compound/polish.

Swirl Removers, Compounds & Car Polishes: remove swirls with swirl mark removers, scratch removers, spiderwebs, car polish, rubbing compound, (http://www.autogeek.net/swreandpo.html)

Thanks tenzin.I am waiting for my order to come this week.I did order the Meg's 105 & 205 this past weekend.I will surely give them a try when they are delivered.

BTW if you don't mind me asking,whats AIO ? Sorry for the ignorance

Rsurfer
09-13-2010, 10:55 PM
The key is the pads. When you get your Flex, 6.5" pads will work because the machine is forced rotation, meaning you can't bogg it down like with your pc. If it doesn't rotate, it won't remove the swrils.

Rsurfer
09-13-2010, 10:57 PM

tenzin
09-13-2010, 11:01 PM

Thanks tenzin.I am waiting for my order to come this week.I did order the Meg's 105 & 205 this past weekend.I will surely give them a try when they are delivered.

No problem, welcome. Glad i can help. I get a lot of help from AG and its members.

I had to learn myself too.AIO is All in One (One step products)
Removes light haze/swirls,scratches and leave a glossy shine.

Here is a thread for
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/863-acronyms.html

IID
09-13-2010, 11:13 PM
The key is the pads. When you get your Flex, 6.5" pads will work because the machine is forced rotation, meaning you can't bogg it down like with your pc. If it doesn't rotate, it won't remove the swrils.

Thats exactly what the PC does,BOGG DOWN.Thats why i'm moving to the Flex.
Have you/anyone heard any good feedback on the Surbuf R series 6.5" pads?
They look promising.
Also,should I strip the polishes and wax thats currently on the finish before attempting to correct?

T/Y

tenzin
09-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Thats exactly what the PC does,BOGG DOWN.Thats why i'm moving to the Flex.
Have you/anyone heard any good feedback on the Surbuf R series 6.5" pads?
They look promising.
Also,should I strip the polishes and wax thats currently on the finish before attempting to correct?

T/Y

Yes, you should strip wax or sealant thats on your car.
Clay bar will do that anyways. From what i've read you should always clay your car before any kind of corrections are made.

Did you try drawing a line on the backing plate of your PC??
To see whether its spinning or not.

Buckskincolt
09-13-2010, 11:18 PM

AIO = All In One Like XMT 360 XMT 360 corrects, cleans, and seals auto paint! XMT 360 is more than a cleaner wax, its a swirl remover, polish, and paint sealant in one. (http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-360.html)

IID
09-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Yes, you should strip wax or sealant thats on your car.
Clay bar will do that anyways. From what i've read you should always clay your car before any kind of corrections are made.

Did you try drawing a line on the backing plate of your PC??
To see whether its spinning or not.

My PC came with the new Black 3M (dust holes in it) BP.You could see it bogg down often.

IID
09-13-2010, 11:22 PM
AIO = All In One Like XMT 360 XMT 360 corrects, cleans, and seals auto paint! XMT 360 is more than a cleaner wax, its a swirl remover, polish, and paint sealant in one. (http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-360.html)

The list was excellent info. Thank You
Have you heard anything on the Surbuf R series 6.5" pads ?