PDA

View Full Version : Boar's hair brush for swirl free washes?

jcarson112
09-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Assuming one would use a proper two bucket w/ grit guards technique, how realistic is it to expect that the Boar's hair will keep the finish as nice and swirl free as a high quality MF mitt?

squiderm3
09-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Not at all. I just received mine today and tried it on an old CD and it scratched it up bad. Pretty pi$$ed off about it considering how much they cost. It will never touch the rims or anything else but the motor on my car.

Speakerguy45
09-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Assuming one would use a proper two bucket w/ grit guards technique, how realistic is it to expect that the Boar's hair will keep the finish as nice and swirl free as a high quality MF mitt?

I saw a video on AutoGeek.net featuring the boars hair brush, the two bucket system w/grit guards and the foam master. They said that as long as you use no more weight than the brush itself to clean the car you wont add any swirls or scratches to the paint.
If i remembered where to find the video i would post it.

:)

ryukin2000
09-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Not at all. I just received mine today and tried it on an old CD and it scratched it up bad. Pretty pi$ off about it considering how much they cost. It will never touch the rims or anything else but the motor on my car.

Under regular use it would be full of suds and soap. maybe that with the light pressure is enough to keep it from inducing swirls in the paint. did you do the CD test Dry or with soap? just curious as i am interested in the brush.

Bonifax
09-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Under regular use it would be full of suds and soap. maybe that with the light pressure is enough to keep it from inducing swirls in the paint. did you do the CD test Dry or with soap? just curious as i am interested in the brush.

:iagree: if you drag a MF towel on the dry paint it will scratch it as well, that is why car shampoo is intended to be used as a lubricity agent.

Speakerguy45
09-13-2010, 09:37 PM
:iagree: if you drag a MF towel on the dry paint it will scratch it as well, that is why car shampoo is intended to be used as a lubricity agent.

Really? I didn't know that but it makes sense, I've never seen Mike touch a car with a MF towel without spraying quick detailer or buffing something off

Rsurfer
09-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Really? I didn't know that but it makes sense, I've never seen Mike touch a car with a MF towel without spraying quick detailer or buffing something off
Mike P uses a boars hair brush to wash.

Buckskincolt
09-13-2010, 10:09 PM
I use a boarshair brush, have absolutely no trouble with it. What I do to make sure the bristles are soft and well lubricated, I soak the brush in my wash solution for about 10 minutes before washing. :props:

squiderm3
09-13-2010, 10:24 PM

Hey neighbor!

It was soapy wet and I tested it using the amount of pressure I would use to clean wheels. I have to say it's not as bad as the Daytona brush for scratches but they both serve a purpose. Sometimes I set my expectations too high.

ryukin2000
09-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Hey neighbor!

It was soapy wet and I tested it using the amount of pressure I would use to clean wheels. I have to say it's not as bad as the Daytona brush for scratches but they both serve a purpose. Sometimes I set my expectations too high.

oh hey didn't even realize you're from E town too haha.

jcarson112
09-14-2010, 02:33 AM
I'm interested in it but am on the fence about it. The price is quite steep. But with how much I work on cars and paint, the convenience factor may be worth it. does it really do as good of a job cleaning dirt and contaminants as its MF counterparts?