PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to get all around your tires.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

f150smith
09-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Today I had my f150 in the driveway washing it like I always do and a guy in the neighborhood walked by, stopped and stared. I said hello and he looked at the tires and said WOW, that's a great idea. He was referring to the fact that whenever I wash one of our vehicles, I set out 4 2X6's, one in front of each tire and drive up on them. This gets all of the tire off the driveway enough so I can clean and dress them without having to move the vehicle. It kinda surprised me at how much he was amazed, but I've been doing my tires like this for more years than many of you have been around. I started doing this in my parents gravel driveway after I got my first car, which by the way was a hand me down 1964 Buick LeSabre. As I thought about his reaction, I felt compelled to share this.

Kurt_s
09-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Today I had my f150 in the driveway washing it like I always do and a guy in the neighborhood walked by, stopped and stared. I said hello and he looked at the tires and said WOW, that's a great idea. He was referring to the fact that whenever I wash one of our vehicles, I set out 4 2X6's, one in front of each tire and drive up on them. This gets all of the tire off the driveway enough so I can clean and dress them without having to move the vehicle. It kinda surprised me at how much he was amazed, but I've been doing my tires like this for more years than many of you have been around. I started doing this in my parents gravel driveway after I got my first car, which by the way was a hand me down 1964 Buick LeSabre. As I thought about his reaction, I felt compelled to share this.
Nice share. Do you set the edge of the 2x6 to the outer edge of the tire?

Maybe I won't have to roll the car back anymore or end up with that little blank spot where I missed the dressing? :laughing:

Dubbin1
09-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Nice tip, I will for sure be using this!!!

BobbyG
09-13-2010, 06:14 PM
I like it; KISS Keeping it simple!! :xyxthumbs:

f150smith
09-13-2010, 06:23 PM
I either center the board or put it towards the inside so a little of the outer tread edge is actually hanging over the edge of the board. By the way, I've use 1X4's, 2X4's, or whatever scraps of lumber I have around. You only need to get the tires off the ground and inch or so to get around it completely.

3Guy
09-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Great tip - this will save time - thanks

CEE DOG
09-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the great tip! :props: Not sure if I'll use it but if I do my hands and knuckles will certainly appreciate it.

Bonifax
09-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Nice tip man, that is why we are autogeeks hehe!

Marc08EX
09-13-2010, 10:37 PM
thnx for the tip! it's a great idea!

kvnkst
09-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Like my dad always says, you learn something new everyday! Nice tip, and it just so happens I have 4 2X6's just waiting to be used!

BillE
09-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Now that is great! Really feel dumb for never, and I mean NEVER thinking of it.

Thanx!

Bill

vet
09-14-2010, 08:09 AM
That is a great idea! I'll have to try it. I better make sure the nails are out of them first, lol! But that makes the roof an inch and a half harder to reach.

DARK HORSE
09-14-2010, 09:09 AM
GREAT idea!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Meghan
09-14-2010, 10:18 AM
I like it; KISS Keeping it simple!! :xyxthumbs:

Thats funny the K.I.S.S. method is one of my favorites, no need to over think a project, Keep It Simple! :props:

A4 1.8tqm
09-14-2010, 02:12 PM
I will definitely use this trick! I despise having to move my car to finish the tires, thanks for posting!

I also wanted to add my favorite method for applying tire gel, mostly because I just noticed that AG carries a similar brush to what I use- Vinyl & Leather Scrub Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/vilescbr.html), I put a bead of gel on the brush (like toothpaste) and spread around the tire as much as possible. Almost no wasted product because the gel doesn't get absorbed, like foam applicators do.